Paul Stastny Thread

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would like to see Stastny remain on the team. He would be an asset and depth moving forward. Someone who can play and contribute in different situations and as someone who has a long tenure with the team.

However, it's tough for me to envision a scenario where he willingly a) takes a lesser contract b) for a lesser role c) as a UFA. I know as a 3C with this team Stastny would do a lot more than what a typical 3C does and it's possible the Avs see him as part of the core and offers him a decent contract, it would have to be whats hes making now or maybe 6M to keep him from hitting the market IMO. As an UFA it's hard to think he doesn't test the waters to see what's out there, someone who is where he is at in his career I just dont see him not want to fully explore all of his options It's quite possible some spendy team offers him something the Avs can't and/or at least with a legit 1-2C role. If the market isn't there for Stastny he probably would like to come back but again, the Avs are competing with 29 other teams in that situation. I hope it works out somehow, I'd love to see Stastny retire as an Av.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I would like to see Stastny remain on the team. He would be an asset and depth moving forward. Someone who can play and contribute in different situations and as someone who has a long tenure with the team.

Problem is, we can't think Stastny as depth player. He will get paid more than "depth" player, more like 6+ million per season. Clarkson, Clowe these guys are getting thrown 4,5+ million offers long-term and Stastny is superior to these players when It comes to potential and career highs. If we keep Stastny he would have to be impact player for us, otherwise we better let him go, because we can't afford having third line center making 5+ million per season.

We just have too many great centers, one has to go ROR or Stastny. I think It's Stastny, but If other team makes great offer for ROR, In that case I would keep Stastny over ROR.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I think in a year or two, he would be a very good 3C on this team. He was paid as a number one, never was, owes something to the avs in terms of money, should accept 5 M$ or will be traded at the deadline

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We just have too many great centers, one has to go ROR or Stastny. I think It's Stastny, but If other team makes great offer for ROR, In that case I would keep Stastny over ROR.

I agree, keeping Stastny would be a nice luxury but it doesn't make financial sense. My worry with trading ROR is then having to rely on Stastny as UFA to resign. Not to say he couldn't sign during the season but as impending UFA I think that offer would have to be generous for him to not test the market. There is at least some more control over ROR's RFA situation. I'm sure they will listen to offer for both though and as you said if they get a great one for ROR they will take that risk of losing Stastny too.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I agree, keeping Stastny would be a nice luxury but it doesn't make financial sense. My worry with trading ROR is then having to rely on Stastny as UFA to resign. Not to say he couldn't sign during the season but as impending UFA I think that offer would have to be generous for him to not test the market. There is at least some more control over ROR's RFA situation. I'm sure they will listen to offer for both though and as you said if they get a great one for ROR they will take that risk of losing Stastny too.

I'm sure they would ask Stastny before trading ROR, If he wants to re-sign. I don't see problem there.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Sakic and Roy have already said numerous times that Duchene and Mac are the projected 1/2C in the future. Neither Stats or ROR are suited LT at 3C role when their talents/salary suggest a top 2 role. I think Stats future is dependent on what ROR does on the first line. If ROR is successful I feel Stats will be traded. The Avs spend approximately 15M on D where the recent cup winners (Chi,LA) spend 24M. The Blues, once Piet is signed, will be spending around 25M. Through the growth of our prospects and or a future FA signing/Trade, the Avs will have to invest more in the D. This is part of the reason I see Stats being moved.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
- I think he and ROR are both probably gone

- I think his deadline trade value will not even be close to what people want back for him. He's a 3 month rental at his contract number, and there's no way he resigns with a new team for less than his current salary without testing the UFA market. That's just common sense, and I'd do the same if I was Paul.

- ROR and Stastny along the sides of Duchene and MacKinnon sounds good in NHL2013, but I'd rather have two players with scoring ability.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really want both staz and radar to stay, especially if our defensive prospects have a good season. We could bring the kind of forward depth that not even Vancouver, Boston or the Kings have been able to assemble during their SCF runs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

However, it's tough for me to envision a scenario where he willingly a) takes a lesser contract b) for a lesser role c) as a UFA. I know as a 3C with this team Stastny would do a lot more than what a typical 3C does and it's possible the Avs see him as part of the core and offers him a decent contract, it would have to be whats hes making now or maybe 6M to keep him from hitting the market IMO. As an UFA it's hard to think he doesn't test the waters to see what's out there, someone who is where he is at in his career I just dont see him not want to fully explore all of his options It's quite possible some spendy team offers him something the Avs can't and/or at least with a legit 1-2C role. If the market isn't there for Stastny he probably would like to come back but again, the Avs are competing with 29 other teams in that situation. I hope it works out somehow, I'd love to see Stastny retire as an Av.

Who knows what staz's priorities are at this point, he's made huge money, he's been the face of a rebuilding franchise, he's put up big numbers, what he hasn't gotten much of is playoff hockey on a team with a direction that he's a big part of. If that's what he's looking for the list of teams that can offer him what he's making currently and a good situation are limited.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Roy and sakic are able to sell staz on the Avs project and his future, either on a stacked third line with Landeskog and O'Reilly/McGinn, or as a winger for MacKinnon or Duchene.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he left in FA for more or less money, but I think there's a good chance that the team can convince him to stay for a fair salary.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If O'Reilly is moving to wing for good, then Stastny is the #2 center. Otherwise he would be #3 and probably #4 in a year or so. He's a good player who could bounce back but they should have traded him at last year's deadline or at the draft. I just hope Sakic/Roy don't choose him over O'Reilly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If O'Reilly is moving to wing for good, then Stastny is the #2 center. Otherwise he would be #3 and probably #4 in a year or so. He's a good player who could bounce back but they should have traded him at last year's deadline or at the draft. I just hope Sakic/Roy don't choose him over O'Reilly.

If Radar doesn't work on the wing we could play staz on the wing where I think he'd be a great compliment to either Duchene or MacKinnon.

If both want to stay we won't have a problem utilizing them with Landy, PAP, Downie, McGinn and Tanguay/Sgarbossa on the wings.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Who knows what staz's priorities are at this point, he's made huge money, he's been the face of a rebuilding franchise, he's put up big numbers, what he hasn't gotten much of is playoff hockey on a team with a direction that he's a big part of. If that's what he's looking for the list of teams that can offer him what he's making currently and a good situation are limited.

That's true nobody knows what Stastny is thinking but I'm just a bit doubtful that a professional athelete doesn't want to make a) the most money possible b) in the largest role possible and I don't think the Avs can offer him either let alone both. But if Sakic and Roy can work some sort of financial and lineup wizardry and find a way for it to work with all of these guys then great. I just think UFA is a huge, huge factor here.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
That's true nobody knows what Stastny is thinking but I'm just a bit doubtful that a professional athelete doesn't want to make a) the most money possible b) in the largest role possible and I don't think the Avs can offer him either let alone both. But if Sakic and Roy can work some sort of financial and lineup wizardry and find a way for it to work with all of these guys then great. I just think UFA is a huge, huge factor here.
Don't hockey players take "hometown discounts" all the time to stay in one place or to actually "Go Home". Denver has been home to Stastny for at least 10 years going back to his college days. Not to mention I believe he lives here in Denver most of the offseason.

I think if Stastny want's to stay (even if it means playing on the 3rd line) and the Avs want to keep him, they will work something out.

That said I think both he and ROR will be gone at some point between now and July 4th 2014. Either via trade or just leaving via UFA. Despite the brave face. I think ROR is gonna want to be a #1 or #2 Centre and face of the franchise and that's not gonna happen here. And even if Staz swallows a pay cut to 5-5.5 mill, that is at least 1-1.5 mill too high for a 3rd line center.

However if pressed I would put the chance of the Avs keeping Stastny slightly higher than keeping ROR.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A hometown discount for a lesser role without seeing what's out there in free agency? It's possible but how likely? Plus like you said 5.5 is too high for a third line center, so the Avs may not even offer that. I know Stastny has big ties to Denver but he'd be giving up a lot to stay.

I think ROR is more likely to stay because of RFA. Even if he's not happy with the role offered here what are his options? Say a 5.5x5 contract is on the table, is he going to turn that down just to go to arbitration? If he absolutely wants out I guess he does but even then the Avs control him. Otherwise if he's looking for long term money and the Avs offer it then it could be a solution. I agree that a trade is what brings up the possibility of letting ROR go however every indication from last year is the Avs will ask for the moon for him.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't even know who this Paul Statsny character is, yet he's frequently associated with the Avalanche and for some reason the Leafs always want to trade for him. I'm all for getting free assets, but don't you think it's a bit disingenuous to trade them a player whom no one has ever heard of?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A hometown discount for a lesser role without seeing what's out there in free agency? It's possible but how likely? Plus like you said 5.5 is too high for a third line center, so the Avs may not even offer that. I know Stastny has big ties to Denver but he'd be giving up a lot to stay.

I think ROR is more likely to stay because of RFA. Even if he's not happy with the role offered here what are his options? Say a 5.5x5 contract is on the table, is he going to turn that down just to go to arbitration? If he absolutely wants out I guess he does but even then the Avs control him. Otherwise if he's looking for long term money and the Avs offer it then it could be a solution. I agree that a trade is what brings up the possibility of letting ROR go however every indication from last year is the Avs will ask for the moon for him.

Stastny could easily be our #2 center this year, and then transition to LW along side Mackinnon in a Drouin type role when Mack is ready to take over as a top 2 center.

You just don't find really good play-making wingers that often either. We happen to have two of them on our team, and one of them is in the twilight of his career in Tanguay.

Later into Stastny's thirties he would be a very good veteran third line center as well. Pretty much like Koivu transitioned into for Anaheim.

I just see more of a fit when it comes to possibilities for Stastny staying with the team than I do with O'Reilly. Can you really ask a 22 year old to switch to LW as a career when hes that good at center?

Where Stastny is in age makes the transition to peripheral roles on wing or on the third line in the next few years make more sense.

I'd love to see something like,

___?___ - Duchene - Parenteau

Stastny - Mackinnon - Landeskog

McGinn - Heard? Sgarbossa? UFA? - Downie

in a couple years. With O'Reilly traded for JJ (I will always love this idea.)

JJ - EJ

Siemens - Barrie/Elliott

Hejda/Bigras - Barrie/Elliott

As I said, it's hard to expect O'Reilly to change his career path completely for this team, and hes far more valuable in a trade than Stastny.

Obviously I'd lock Stastny up before trading O'Reilly of course.

Edit : You could even sell Stastny on having a modified no trade clause, where by if in a couple years he isn't happy with his role. He could have a short list of teams he could be traded to. As others have said, none of the contending teams are going to be able to give him huge UFA dollars. He'd most likely have to go to a team even farther behind than we are in order to get close to what hes making now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
All good points, those situations would make sense. And a lot obviously depends on does ROR flourish on wing, does Stastny get any time on wing, etc. What I keep getting back to is difference in RFA vs UFA situations and the options the team has in approaching their contracts but a lot is unknown as well.

18Mike18

Aug 3, 2007
BC
Needs to be resigned, deserves another chance and better linemates. Paired with Mackinnon, either of them on the wing. personally, Staz at C and Mac RW.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We might be able to sign him on a short 1-2 year contract to play while mackinnon develops and hopefully he will accept a pay cut in the future

I've seen a lot of people suggest a hometown discount or short-term deal but why would Stastny accept that? He's not as good as he once was but he's still pretty good. Look at what some of the free agents just signed for this offseason. Stastny will only be 28 years old and he'll probably get a long-term deal for $5M+/yr from some team. He might love Denver but it's not like we're a perennial contender that he absolutely won't leave. Other teams will offer him a bigger role and more money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad