Paul Stastny Thread

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I've seen a lot of people suggest a hometown discount or short-term deal but why would Stastny accept that? He's not as good as he once was but he's still pretty good. Look at what some of the free agents just signed for this offseason. Stastny will only be 28 years old and he'll probably get a long-term deal for $5M+/yr from some team. He might love Denver but it's not like we're a perennial contender that he absolutely won't leave. Other teams will offer him a bigger role and more money.

If he would sign long term at 5 mil then I would be pissed if the Avs moved him over that.

We need depth and if Stastny is your 2/3 center then you've got some serious depth.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've seen a lot of people suggest a hometown discount or short-term deal but why would Stastny accept that? He's not as good as he once was but he's still pretty good. Look at what some of the free agents just signed for this offseason. Stastny will only be 28 years old and he'll probably get a long-term deal for $5M+/yr from some team. He might love Denver but it's not like we're a perennial contender that he absolutely won't leave. Other teams will offer him a bigger role and more money.

I'd have no problem with the Avs giving him 5+ for 4-5 years if that's what he wants. Now if he's looking for Duchene money or more, like he could get in UFA, then we're in a tough spot but if all he wants is 5+ I see no reason why the team wouldn't jump at that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd have no problem with the Avs giving him 5+ for 4-5 years if that's what he wants. Now if he's looking for Duchene money or more, like he could get in UFA, then we're in a tough spot but if all he wants is 5+ I see no reason why the team wouldn't jump at that.

You see no reason why the team shouldn't give a third line center (who has regressed the last four years) $5M+/yr on a long-term deal? Probably need to throw a NMC/NTC in there as well. I can think of a few reasons why they shouldn't do it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You see no reason why the team shouldn't give a third line center (who has regressed the last four years) $5M+/yr on a long-term deal? Probably need to throw a NMC/NTC in there as well. I can think of a few reasons why they shouldn't do it.

But he's not just a third line center no more than Malkin is just a second line center or Pavelski is just a third line center. That's a good price for Staz, especially since he won't even be playing on the "third" line until at least next season. And with our forward depth he could find himself playing with capable wingers even on the "third" line. When we have your star C locked up 6 per, our captain winger locked up for 5.5, our first line RW stud locked up at 4, and a kid on his ELC playing on whichever top 9 line Staz/O'Reilly and Duchene aren't, we can afford to give Staz 5.5, if you actually add it all up we can resign both Staz and radar to 25/5 deals and still afford to re-sign Downie, Varly, Barrie, Elliott and McGinn with some money to spare. For those reasons I have absolutely no problem with the team paying Staz and radar right below what they'll be paying Landy.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

So many things wrong with this post. :laugh:

His regression has been 1-fold, not continuous. You'd think an Avs fan could recognize this. Assists, that's it. Nothing else has gotten worse about his game. Assists for a playmaker are the bulk of their points. So, drill down into this you'll see his plight.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time...=COL&c=0+1+3+5+8+9+11+13+15+17+19+21+23+25+27

2012-13; DAVIDJONES JAMIEMCGINN GABRIELLANDESKOG JOHNMITCHELL
2011-12; DAVIDJONES MILANHEJDUK MATTDUCHENE T.J.GALIARDI
2010-11; DAVIDJONES CHRISSTEWART MILANHEJDUK KEVINPORTER T.J.GALIARDI

Jones, Hejduk (washed up), Porter, Galiardi and Mitchell break his top 4 linemates the past three years.

Stewart was the only one that did well with Staz, Landeskog played pretty good with him but it was too short of a time frame to accurately judge yet. Duchene looked alright on his wing (Staz did feed him some amazing passes) but that was a short lived experiment once Duchy got injured.

So tell me, which of those names up there can Stastny expect to score? Because as far as I can tell, Stastny was actually the leading goal scorer on his line when he played with those players.

Let me emphasize this. Paul Stastny scored the most goals on his line when players played with him since Stewart went down.

As far as the third line center thing goes, been down that road numerous times. We can easily afford to play our top three lines at ~18-20 minutes evenly or slightly in favor of the one doing the best. Our centers will end up getting overlapping PP/PK time together no doubt.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
But he's not just a third line center no more than Malkin is just a second line center or Pavelski is just a third line center. That's a good price for Staz, especially since he won't even be playing on the "third" line until at least next season. And with our forward depth he could find himself playing with capable wingers even on the "third" line. When we have your star C locked up 6 per, our captain winger locked up for 5.5, our first line RW stud locked up at 4, and a kid on his ELC playing on whichever top 9 line Staz/O'Reilly and Duchene aren't, we can afford to give Staz 5.5, if you actually add it all up we can resign both Staz and radar to 25/5 deals and still afford to re-sign Downie, Varly, Barrie, Elliott and McGinn with some money to spare. For those reasons I have absolutely no problem with the team paying Staz and radar right below what they'll be paying Landy.

We can afford it right now but eventually we'll need to upgrade from an AHL defense to a contending NHL defense. I don't think you can do that if you have both Stastny and O'Reilly making that kind of money. Also, if we have to trade some of our offensive depth to upgrade the defense, then Stastny will be left without wingers again so he won't produce enough to justify that contract. Unless the salary cap goes up significantly in the very near future, I think it'll be one of Stastny/O'Reilly. Not both. If that's the case, I'm picking O'Reilly without thinking twice. Even it means paying him more money than Stastny will demand.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We can afford it right now but eventually we'll need to upgrade from an AHL defense to a contending NHL defense. I don't think you can do that if you have both Stastny and O'Reilly making that kind of money.

FORWARDS
Paul Stastny ($6.000m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.570m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.500m) / Steve Downie ($4.000m)
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($3.775m) / Jamie McGinn ($2.500m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Mark Olver ($0.800m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
XXX ($4.000m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
XXX ($4.000m) / Tyson Barrie ($2.000m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Stefan Elliott ($1.750m)
Ryan Wilson ($2.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($4.500m)
Calvin Pickard ($0.930m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,225,000
CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $0,075,000

That's if we brought in two top four defenders for around 8mil combined. Re-signed Staz, ROR, Downie, Barrie, McGinn, Elliott and Varly for a combined 26 mil which is around a 6mil hike in where they are all at combined.

In reality, we add one top four defender and Siemens to the equation.

Let's speculate we add Tim Gleason for McGinn + Wilson, not even remotely a cap problem. We would still have room to add Klesla in UFA if we wanted.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'd rather have another PAP at $5M or a top defensemen at $5M than 4 centers (or even 3 centers) at 5 million/per (assuming MacKinnon will probably get that at some point as well)

I can just see us resigning Stastny as our #3 center for $5M and then listening for another 8 years about poor Paul Stastny and his horrible linemates.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Can't wait for the Stastny regression talk to end once this season starts. I feel like the last couple years have actually set him up to be a better player
-his defensive awareness has developed and improved due to being forced into that role by Sacco.
-he has still found ways to produce within an offense that did not suit his skill set, and with a much regressed David Jones.
-he has shown an ability to accept a lesser role without seeming to create waves

I think that Stastny will never make some of our posters happy, especially if he is retained and ROR ends up getting traded.

I think he will definitely prove that he truly is and can be a highly productive and effective 2C by mid season. I also am pretty confident that he'll sign an extension worth 5.25-5.5 sooner rather than later and be a veteran leader and part of this core moving forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's if we brought in two top four defenders for around 8mil combined. Re-signed Staz, ROR, Downie, Barrie, McGinn, Elliott and Varly for a combined 26 mil which is around a 6mil hike in where they are all at combined.

In reality, we add one top four defender and Siemens to the equation.

Let's speculate we add Tim Gleason for McGinn + Wilson, not even remotely a cap problem. We would still have room to add Klesla in UFA if we wanted.

Exactly, it's nice to say we can't afford it but if you do the math we totally can.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'd rather have another PAP at $5M or a top defensemen at $5M than 4 centers (or even 3 centers) at 5 million/per (assuming MacKinnon will probably get that at some point as well)

I can just see us resigning Stastny as our #3 center for $5M and then listening for another 8 years about poor Paul Stastny and his horrible linemates.

I don't see why Staz couldn't be a PAP on the wing? He's a better than PAP at everything when he's playing his game. I still think a Staz-Duchy-PAP line would be amazing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Can't wait for the Stastny regression talk to end once this season starts. I feel like the last couple years have actually set him up to be a better player
-his defensive awareness has developed and improved due to being forced into that role by Sacco.
-he has still found ways to produce within an offense that did not suit his skill set, and with a much regressed David Jones.
-he has shown an ability to accept a lesser role without seeming to create waves

Well that's a first.

-Nope, his defensive play if anything has gotten worse.
-At a lower rate
-Him being a good teammate in the locker room, doesn't make him a better player.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't see why Staz couldn't be a PAP on the wing? He's a better than PAP at everything when he's playing his game. I still think a Staz-Duchy-PAP line would be amazing.

PAP is playing more often his game, which makes him better. PAP has outscored Stastny two season's in a row, I don't think It's by accident. At the moment PAP is better player. Although I think It could change next season. Stastny has every chance to succeed with quality players. Now It's totally up to Stastny what he can do, no one can blame after this season not having enough quality wingers or whatever. Stastny has to produce.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Well that's a first.

-Nope, his defensive play if anything has gotten worse.
-At a lower rate
-Him being a good teammate in the locker room, doesn't make him a better player.

-I feel he is more aware defensively, in that he seems to be out of position less in the zone and is better at covering when the other forwards' coverage break down. That could just be in relation to the overall poor defense of the team I suppose.
- lower assist rate is expected with lesser performing linemates.
- I think it does when considering non-skill contributions. It allows others to flourish without placing strain on the team to keep everyone happy. I'd take a Stastny over a "disgruntled/cancer" player even if the player has more hockey skill than Stastny.

Perhaps I should have said "the last couple years have actually set him up to be a better player for this team going forward"

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's impossible to know how the Stastny situation plays out. The only thing that can't happen is him leaving as a UFA without Avs getting anything from him. Re-sign him or trade him should be the only two options.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
why can't we just role with these lines in the future...

O'Reilly/Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Stastny/O'Reilly - MacKinnon - Landeskog

:dunno:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's impossible to know how the Stastny situation plays out. The only thing that can't happen is him leaving as a UFA without Avs getting anything from him. Re-sign him or trade him should be the only two options.

Well there's one option where we let Stastny go for nothing. If for some reason we are great in regular season and It looks like we might make deep run in playoffs, keep Stastny and gamble..

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
PAP is playing more often his game, which makes him better. PAP has outscored Stastny two season's in a row, I don't think It's by accident. At the moment PAP is better player. Although I think It could change next season. Stastny has every chance to succeed with quality players. Now It's totally up to Stastny what he can do, no one can blame after this season not having enough quality wingers or whatever. Stastny has to produce.

I agree, but the one caveat is that PAP has had Tavares and Duchene centering him the past two years. Stastny has had Jones on his wing.

I think Stastny with a winger or as the winger on a line with as much skill as PAP is with, would see more points generated.

Anyways, my point has been made I believe.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Hey! You just wait until we get Ovechkin and a prime Bure on his wings. He'll show you.

Exactly, it's nice to say we can't afford it but if you do the math we totally can.

You're right, I guess we can afford it. I was wrong. I just don't agree with it though. Paying that much money to players and then moving them to a different position just because you think they could do well there. I'm still not sure about the O'Reilly experiment and if that fails, he would need to go back to center. So then just try Stastny on wing and hope that works? Why not use that money to get a natural winger instead?

Last edited:

Burnaby_Joe*

I think O'Reilly and/or Stastny will be traded. If Stastny is having a great season before the deadline, see if he's willing to re-sign for a decent amount. If he wants too much, trade him while he's valuable. We can't lose him for nothing.

I'm not sure what the O'Reilly situation is. He'll be making 6.5 mill next season regardless? Or can we re-sign him to another contract? I'm okay with him making 6.5 mill next season, but I hope he'll re-sign for a little less than that, maybe 5.5 mill max? If he wants too much, trade him.

I don't think we should keep both of them if they're making 5-6 mill each(on long terms deals), we should trade one of them for a dman or picks/prospects. MacKinnon will be making a **** load soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Hey! You just wait until we get Ovechkin and a prime Bure on his wings. He'll show you.

Or we just trade ROR and pick up a winger for Stastny to play with, and when it doesn't work out then we'll trade MacKinnon and get another winger....and hell if that doesn't work out we'll dump off EJ for a winger....I'm thinking after about the 14th winger we acquire, Paul will finally have someone that he clicks with. At the end of the day, a winger is responsible for making a center better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->