Speculation: Paul Martin Trade or Buyout? (if there's a season)

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Bortuzzo still has top-4 potential in my eyes, a below average top-4 defender, but he could still play that role. On paper their styles would seem to match well, but giving Bortz that responsibility/minutes out of the gate.

I'd actually be content with HCDB giving Bortz not only a spot on this team, but one with an expanded role. Better than ******* Lovejoy or Reese. It balances out the D-core a little more too.

We'll see. But this is a lot better than, let's say, a Martin-Niskanen combo...that'd be...ugh

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Bortuzzo
Niskanen-Engelland
(whoeverelseidontcare)

Yea, I like both Nisky and Martin, but not together. If you bailed on Lovejoy and put Strait in that 7th spot, I think you have a nice core there.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm starting to think that it's going to be Lovejoy. Classic Byslma move, and nobody would guess Lovejoy since he sucks. I'd classify that as being a surprising.

What a ****ing buzzkill that would be. Lovejoy shouldn't even be on this team anymore let alone in a top 4 role.

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Lovejoy
Engelland - Niskanen
Bortuzzo/Strait

Waive whichever one of Bortuzzo and Strait lose the battle and keep Despres down in WBS since he doesn't have to clear waivers.

doob

Jan 9, 2011
Did anyone mention Orpik as Martin's partner and somebody else playing with Letang?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I could see that. Giving the most minutes to Letang and Martin.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Since he said only one person mention the right guy then maybe it's Engelland. He is probably the least likely top 4 D-man. But I do remenber Strait playing along side Martin some last year.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It would suck for the right-shooting D-men, but pairing Martin with a left D-man could be good for him. Martin's played his very best NHL hockey as a right defenseman in New Jersey. I wouldn't mind getting that guy back. Strait would be a good partner for him, actually. Or Dumoulin. Or even Orpik.

Lots of intrigue on D. I kinda wish we had a regular camp (with preseason games) to see this play out.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'll guess Bortuzzo.

Yeah, Bortuzzo would be my guess, but more importantly, the guy I had pencilled into that spot.

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Bortuzzo
Niskanen-Engelland
(Strait & Lovejoy)

There has been some discussion mentioned by some NHL people (though nothing confirmed) about possibly allowing teams to start with a bigger roster than 23 players for the first week or two of the season, to help with the evaluation process. I'm not sure how much it would benefit the Pens since they pretty much know their line-up to a high-degree and want to establish the rhythm, but it could help some other teams, or even us, to give us a chance to see some other guys in action. It could also buy us a touch of time before we would need to make a waiver/trade decision on a guy like Strait, Lovejoy or Tangradi.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'll guess Lovejoy because it has to be the only name ppl didnt think of, even if it makes no sense.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Orpik?? really Molinari? You pud. Somebody said that right away and that is not a surprise considering DB said Tanger-Despres could be a pairing.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
The article's up and the winner is... Orpik

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...o-be-different-prominent-for-penguins-669598/

What intrigues me the most about the article though are these parts:

Bylsma, who knows better than most how much Martin struggled in 2011-12, projects him as a top-four defenseman, and is leaning toward deploying him with Brooks Orpik on the top defense-oriented pairing.
"Depending on how our lineup shakes out in camp and going into the first game, being paired with Orpik is a possibility that we maybe haven't done in the past," Bylsma said.

So if Orpik and Martin are together, who's with Letang?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd imagine Letang would play with Niskanen on the more offensive minded pair. Both are right-handed but I believe Niskanen actually likes it more on the left anyway IIRC.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Orpik?? really Molinari? You pud. Somebody said that right away and that is not a surprise considering DB said Tanger-Despres could be a pairing.

Wtf? I thought of Orpik first, then assumed since he is already a top four guy, people would of guessed his name... And a top four guy playing in the top four is no surprise.

I wish McMillian would quit his job and get on the beat again...

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey

Yeah he said we'd be shocked and I'm pretty sure that's what most people would have guessed. And on twitter, people guessed him so many times. All that suspense for nothing :sarcasm:

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
And we all bought into his stupid story.

Like we didn't know/proposed that option before.

Honestly, in my eyes, he's lost credibility for this. I'm sure he didn't intend to, but c'mon. This isn't the "surprise" people were foreseeing, because um an Orpik-Martin line isn't exactly a surprise.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I don't think I'd be a fan of Letang and Niskanen as a pairing. Despres, sure, I'll give him a shot.

I like having Letang with Orpik or even Martin because you can have them out there at any time of the game. I like when that line is the go-to line offensively and defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad