Speculation: Paul Martin Trade or Buyout? (if there's a season)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Not only is Tangradi capable of being the front-of-the-net presence on the power play, but we had a guy named Staal here for years and we never used him 5-on-4, only 5-on-3. So who's to say Bylsma would even use Malone in front of the net if we got him? He'd have to sit Kunitz down, and he just might not do it.

I don't know. For me, the Malone train left the station. Nice guy. Very good Penguin during his time. He left for more money. He's no longer the player he once was. Let's leave him in Tampa.

If we're talking Tampa Bay, let's talk about some of their great talent in Syracuse (or in the junior ranks). They're littered with wingers that could help us: Richard Panik, Ondrej Palat, Cory Conacher, Brett Connolly, Nikita Kucherov.

Now we're talking.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Not only is Tangradi capable of being the front-of-the-net presence on the power play, but we had a guy named Staal here for years and we never used him 5-on-4, only 5-on-3. So who's to say Bylsma would even use Malone in front of the net if we got him? He'd have to sit Kunitz down, and he just might not do it.

I don't know. For me, the Malone train left the station. Nice guy. Very good Penguin during his time. He left for more money. He's no longer the player he once was. Let's leave him in Tampa.

If we're talking Tampa Bay, let's talk about some of their great talent in Syracuse (or in the junior ranks). They're littered with wingers that could help us: Richard Panik, Ondrej Palat, Cory Conacher, Brett Connolly, Nikita Kucherov.

Now we're talking.

I think his father being in Tampa's management helped him decide as well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malone's still a top 6 player. Not like his game is based on speed. He was excellent for Tampa in the postseason 2 years ago. He has plenty of hockey left in him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't get this "not the same player anymore" sentiment with Malone. At least from offensive production, he's produced very consistently. In fact, his PPG as a Lightning (0.68) is higher than as a Pen (0.57). He's a 20-25 goal 45 point guy. Other than injuries (where he played in 38 less games over 4 years as a Lightning vs a Pen which I'd hardly call a big issue), what makes him lesser of a player?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He has averaged 65 games as a Bolt, and he's now 33. Sure, for a 48-game schedule that might work, but then again he's the MOST likely player to go down again if they have to do a lot of 3 games in 4 nights.

He's not the same player, because he always misses time now. Always.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He has averaged 65 games as a Bolt, and he's now 33. Sure, for a 48-game schedule that might work, but then again he's the MOST likely player to go down again if they have to do a lot of 3 games in 4 nights.

He's not the same player, because he always misses time now. Always.

Fair enough. He's certainly not ideal, but I'd take him if we were looking to shed salary elsewhere (Martin). When he's healthy, he's every bit of the player he was. I would take 65 games of Malone over 82 games of whoever the hell grinder Bylsma will put with Geno.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Fair enough. He's certainly not ideal, but I'd take him if we were looking to shed salary elsewhere (Martin). When he's healthy, he's every bit of the player he was. I would take 65 games of Malone over 82 games of whoever the hell grinder Bylsma will put with Geno.

Well, a Malone for Martin deal is not going to happen...it's going to cost us more than we wish to spend for Malone. Let's not forget, the Bolts are contenders. They don't want to make us any better if they can help it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, a Malone for Martin deal is not going to happen...it's going to cost us more than we wish to spend for Malone. Let's not forget, the Bolts are contenders. They don't want to make us any better if they can help it.

Yeah I personally don't see the deal happening either. I was just commenting that I think Malone is still a very good hockey player and fits a need on our roster.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Gotta play devils advocate here..

We haven't had a guy that could play in front of the net on the PP since Guerin left in 2009... oddly enough, we haven't advanced past the 2nd round in the post-season since then.

Whether you want to admit it or not, having a guy who can play in front of the net is a key ingredient to a successful team.

Plain and simple: the Penguins need a guy who can play in front of the net and aggravate the opposing team's goalie. We haven't had a guy like that since Guerin/Malone. When you have someone disrupting things in front of the net, it screens the goalie and opens up space for our playmakers.

Remember the playoff series against Tampa? 1 for 35.

It's time to change things up and bringing in Malone would be a breath of fresh air.

Have you seen MAF's SV% in any of those series? Not above .900. Tampa was minus Crosby and Malkin so that doesn't count.

Sure, the reason we lost is we couldn't score on PP. ;) Yes, the pens could use a better front net presence, but to even think that is the reason they have been eliminated 3 straight years is stretching it.

I just watched the highlights of the entire 09 DET/PEN final today on NHL network. MAF was horrible there too outside of 2 games. Pens won despite his sloppy play.

This team will be scary if they ever get solid (.918+) goaltending.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm indifferent about trading for Malone. He's the right guy to help the PP but his cap hit may prevent the Pens from getting Sid a more skilled winger or Letang a better partner on D so I think there's an argument for and against acquiring him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Malone's wheels are wobbling and are about to fall off. It'd be nice to have him back, as putting him on the left side with Geno and Neal makes a ton of sense, but the guy can't stay healthy.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Have you seen MAF's SV% in any of those series? Not above .900. Tampa was minus Crosby and Malkin so that doesn't count.

Sure, the reason we lost is we couldn't score on PP. ;) Yes, the pens could use a better front net presence, but to even think that is the reason they have been eliminated 3 straight years is stretching it.

I just watched the highlights of the entire 09 DET/PEN final today on NHL network. MAF was horrible there too outside of 2 games. Pens won despite his sloppy play.

This team will be scary if they ever get solid (.918+) goaltending.

Amen. Watching many of the '09 series games over the extended offseason made me see how poorly MAF is and was. It seems like that '09 playoff run was a fluke.

If Fleury can't get it together this season and be a top ten goalie I'd trade for a guy like Kippersoft and move away from Fleury. This is Fleury's "prime" and he is a pretty bad starting goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->