Speculation: Paul Martin for Justin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Does this excite anyone? Honestly I'm not intrigued at all. Williams is a good playoff performer but there are other top 6 wings in this league I'd rather have if we are dealing our best veteran defenseman, namely Evander Kane. There are others besides Kane. I wonder with the Leafs having the season that they are what JVR would cost?

MOD: Rumors need a link to a source.

Last edited by a moderator:

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Does this excite anyone? Honestly I'm not intrigued at all. Williams is a good playoff performer but there are other top 6 wings in this league I'd rather have if we are dealing our best veteran defenseman, namely Evander Kane. There are others besides Kane. I wonder with the Leafs having the season that they are what JVR would cost?

Rental Paul Martin isn't getting Kane or JVR. It's a rumor mainly because it'd be rental for rental, and 2 team's trading from a strength to address a weakness.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I do that deal in an instant.

Any time you can get a known playoff performer like Williams, that doesn't take a number of assets, you do it.

I've said before with Martin dating back to his Devils days, he has had his issues in the playoffs. Last year he played well. However, he's been pretty much up and down come playoff time and isn't what I'd consider a reliable playoff performer.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I could literally care less if Justin Williams scored 0 goals for the rest of the season. If he shows up in the POs like he always does, I want him on this damn team.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Rental Paul Martin isn't getting Kane or JVR. It's a rumor mainly because it'd be rental for rental, and 2 team's trading from a strength to address a weakness.

Well I guess I should revise my point and not name names. I think there are other rental wingers out there who are a better fit for Pittsburgh. Maybe if Martin is part of a package i.e. Martin/draft picks, Martin/one of our 11 NHL caliber defensive prospects, maybe then we can get the type of return I think we need (Kane, JVR)

penguins2946*

I don't see why this deserves its own thread. It's a rumor that is coming from an uncredible source. I also feel like if this was actually offered to JR, it would be done already. The Pens played well without Martin earlier, so I really don't see any reason why they would wait to do this deal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd be fine with the move. I don't see it happening though. I know LA would like to add a D-Man but there have to be ways to do that without parting with one of the more clutch playoff performers in the league.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This would be a solid deal for both teams. the kings are probably loathe to deal a conn smythe winner, but on the flip side they live and die through their D and wont make it far enough to use him without a martin like player

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I know Williams has been a stud the last few years in the playoffs, and I do not discount that. However, if you put him in Pittsburgh you can only assume that there is a 50/50 chance he performs like that in the playoffs yet again. I was in Carolina when he won the cup with that team in 06' and he was a good player, but not Mr. Playoffs like he is with LA. I guess any trade is a chance taken though...?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Williams is a real possibility with a believable rumor attached and real needs being meet on both sides of the deal.

JVR/Kane/etc are all wish-upon-a-star ideas that most likely are not being moved (especially for the prices most people on here are looking at). Seriously, why would Winnipeg want Paul Martin when they could go get Sekera and not give up Kane? Why would Winnipeg give up Kane at all? Toronto is in the Wild Card mix, I don't think moving JVR is in their plans.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I'd be fine with the move. I don't see it happening though. I know LA would like to add a D-Man but there have to be ways to do that without parting with one of the more clutch playoff performers in the league.

I know that there was in fact a phone conversation about this move between the Pens and LA... not sure who called who, but both front offices have had a discussion.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well I guess I should revise my point and not name names. I think there are other rental wingers out there who are a better fit for Pittsburgh. Maybe if Martin is part of a package i.e. Martin/draft picks, Martin/one of our 11 NHL caliber defensive prospects, maybe then we can get the type of return I think we need (Kane, JVR)

No, none of those would get you Kane. You'd be looking at something like Kapanen and Maatta probably.

I'd do Martin for Williams in an instant. Is there actually a rumor here, or just looking at needs and figuring it might make sense?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I would much rather trade Scuderi then trade Martin.

If your in a playoff series against a fast team like NYR or NYI(which i would say is likely to happen) a Scuderi Borts bottom paring will be very hard to watch against those type of teams.

I'd much rather have BB or Comeau in my top 6 then have Scuderi and Borts in my bottom pairing, but i'm sure i'l be in the minority on this one.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I think the bottom line is... LA doesn't have the ability to extend Williams' contract, or they are not willing to extend for cap reasons.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It was discussed in the other thread. It´s a longshot and it isn´t even confirmed to be a rumor by a credible source. That said, I´m not even sure if I would do it. I mean, do we really want Bort in TOP4 or do we want Scuduzzo as our 3rd pair? Because that´s what would happen with our D if this deal is made. And if Maatta is not fine for the playoffs, then our D would be just a mess. We have seen that kids are close to being ready but they are not quite there.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I would much rather trade Scuderi then trade Martin.

If your in a playoff series against a fast team like NYR or NYI(which i would say is likely to happen) a Scuderi Borts bottom paring will be very hard to watch against those type of teams.

I'd much rather have BB or Comeau in my top 6 then have Scuderi and Borts in my bottom pairing, but i'm sure i'l be in the minority on this one.

I think we would all rather see Scuderi pack his bags, but who wants him? Answer:nobody!! That kind falls into the wishful thinking category of: we'll give you all of our bad guys, for all of your good guys. LOL! I don't disagree at all, but it is very wishful thinking.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think the bottom line is... LA doesn't have the ability to extend Williams' contract, or they are not willing to extend for cap reasons.

I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to re-sign Williams either if he gets traded here. We're already stuck with numerous older declining players like Scuds, Kunitz and Dupuis. I wouldn't want to risk adding another to that list.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do that deal in an instant.

Any time you can get a known playoff performer like Williams, that doesn't take a number of assets, you do it.

I've said before with Martin dating back to his Devils days, he has had his issues in the playoffs. Last year he played well. However, he's been pretty much up and down come playoff time and isn't what I'd consider a reliable playoff performer.

Came to write this.

Martin was tremendous for us the last couple season but not needed as much as Williams would be.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I would do this trade as well but...

In a vacuum I believe Martin to be the more valuable asset.

Justin Williams had a great playoff last year but lets not act as if he is some type of playoff god. His career PPG numbers are just ever so slightly ahead of his regular season numbers. They were actually worse overall before last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad