Management Paul Fenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaakarh

Aug 30, 2018
I'm sure Leopold feels hard to fire a guy he hired under a year ago. After all, it also reveals his own shortcoming. But he should not be. Nobody could have expected such shitty moves that Fenton has been able to make in his short time in charge. Fire him before it is too late!

Aftershave

Feb 26, 2019
Geneva (Switzerland)
I don't like that part of it at all. But dealing with a guy he's worked for for 20 years he may have just known how that conversation was going to go. It's like the Donato/Coyle thing: at a certain point I'm just irritated that the 5th/4th isn't a 3rd, and the more I watch Donato play the less I care.

Is Fiala going to play well enough to make me not care about not pressing for a late 1st?
Is Staal going to play well enough to make me not care about missing out on a 2nd and a prospect?

No freaking clue, but what's done is done. May as well enjoy the ride until erupts into a giant fireball.

The thing is, if Fiala plays good (i.e. as good as Granlund did these last three seasons), we will be at best relieved/satisfied. For this trade to actually feel beneficial to the Wild, Fiala would have to outplay Grandlund (or to reach the same level but quicker), and that sounds like a very uncertain bet. Even if Fenton knows Fiala really well, I think the odds are too uncertain to not even try to get a pick to compensate the uncertainty aspect. Look at it any way you want, the disparity in the risk/benefit balance is too big in this deal. Yesterday I was sickened by this trade. After sleeping on it, I calmed down but still think it is a h*ll of an uncertain gamble.

With the Coyle trade for instance, if Donato plays good enough and somewhat consistently, it will be enough to make this an understandable trade, or even a good one depending on his consistency. Not sure the same comment works for the Nino trade however...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The thing is, if Fiala plays good (i.e. as good as Granlund did these last three seasons), we will be at best relieved/satisfied. For this trade to actually feel beneficial to the Wild, Fiala would have to outplay Grandlund (or to reach the same level but quicker), and that sounds like a very uncertain bet. Even if Fenton knows Fiala really well, I think the odds are too uncertain to not even try to get a pick to compensate the uncertainty aspect. Look at it any way you want, the disparity in the risk/benefit balance is too big in this deal. Yesterday I was sickened by this trade. After sleeping on it, I calmed down but still think it is a h*ll of an uncertain gamble.

With the Coyle trade for instance, if Donato plays good enough and somewhat consistently, it will be enough to make this an understandable trade, or even a good one depending on his consistency. Not sure the same comment works for the Nino trade however...
I agree with all of this. There is a metric ton riding on Fiala doing as well or better than Granlund very, very soon. If he ends up being a 40-50 pt forward this is a gigantic mistake. And I do think that taking on that risk is worth a good pick or two.

But I have to admit that this is the sort of gamble I was hoping for months ago, and Fenton took it on a player he's very familiar with. If getting that extra certainty meant that he had to forego the adds... if it works out, so be it.

If it doesn't? Find a good place to hide the body.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I agree with all of this. There is a metric ton riding on Fiala doing as well or better than Granlund very, very soon. If he ends up being a 40-50 pt forward this is a gigantic mistake. And I do think that taking on that risk is worth a good pick or two.

But I have to admit that this is the sort of gamble I was hoping for months ago, and Fenton took it on a player he's very familiar with. If getting that extra certainty meant that he had to forego the adds... if it works out, so be it.

If I'm going to "credit" Fenton for anything, it's going after players and not picks. Draft picks kick the can down the road by 4 or 5 years. In these 3 cases, we have current names to associate. If Rask continues to be a disaster, and Donato and Fiala aren't what Fenton is saying they are or could be, you're talking about 3 pretty prominent strikes proven out in a fairly short period of time.

Aftershave

Feb 26, 2019
Geneva (Switzerland)

Agreed. I like the gamble too but not the chip. Guess we'll see...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If I'm going to "credit" Fenton for anything, it's going after players and not picks. Draft picks kick the can down the road by 4 or 5 years. In these 3 cases, we have current names to associate. If Rask continues to be a disaster, and Donato and Fiala aren't what Fenton is saying they are or could be, you're talking about 3 pretty prominent strikes proven out in a fairly short period of time.
Yeah, on the bright side we only have to wait a few months or a year to know whether or not this was a disaster. Buffalo fans were ecstatic when "Darth" Regier started liquidating their guys for picks; 5 years and 3 GMs later most of those picks have lost their luster.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Going after players shortened the leash by a few years. These are NHL ready players to either break out or be given up on. Either it works or Fenton is not here for long.

It feels like he is favoring people who shoot the puck. Rask, Fiala and Donato look like guys that will shoot more than cycle and hit the point crash etc... Coyle and Granlund, i think we all wished, they would shoot more often.

This also feels like Sheppard and Gilies, We need a specific type of player and all will work out. Its the new NHL after all.

It still doesn't relieve one problem. We still have an abundance of fringe top line guys. How can you really evaluate Ek, Kunin, Rask, Greenway, Fiala, Donato, If you are banking on Staal, Parise, Zucker Again thats 9 players all looking for 17+ min a game. Nino gets 2 more min a game and becomes a point per gamer.

We were a healthy Dumba from being safely in the playoffs IMO. If next year brings anything less. Bye bye

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Going after players shortened the leash by a few years. These are NHL ready players to either break out or be given up on. Either it works or Fenton is not here for long.

It feels like he is favoring people who shoot the puck. Rask, Fiala and Donato look like guys that will shoot more than cycle and hit the point crash etc... Coyle and Granlund, i think we all wished, they would shoot more often.

This also feels like Sheppard and Gilies, We need a specific type of player and all will work out. Its the new NHL after all.

It still doesn't relieve one problem. We still have an abundance of fringe top line guys. How can you really evaluate Ek, Kunin, Rask, Greenway, Fiala, Donato, If you are banking on Staal, Parise, Zucker Again thats 9 players all looking for 17+ min a game. Nino gets 2 more min a game and becomes a point per gamer.

We were a healthy Dumba from being safely in the playoffs IMO. If next year brings anything less. Bye bye

That math works out fine for 3 lines to get 17 minutes each, if the coach chooses to balance as such.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

you are forgetting the Cap. It matters. Granlund is likely to want north of 7M on his new contract, and makes close to 6M now. Fiala makes 832K, and will be an RFA. That's a lot of money that can be put somewhere else.

That's why Zucker is going, too. He got paid, and his play went down the toilet. If he was on pace for another 30g/60pt. season then he would be Gold.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Aftershave

Feb 26, 2019
Geneva (Switzerland)
you are forgetting the Cap. It matters. Granlund is likely to want north of 7M on his new contract, and makes close to 6M now. Fiala makes 832K, and will be an RFA. That's a lot of money that can be put somewhere else.

That's why Zucker is going, too. He got paid, and his play went down the toilet. If he was on pace for another 30g/60pt. season then he would be Gold.

Very good point. I guess what you mention for Zucker was also true for Nino, hence his trade.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
After a good nights sleep, I like the direction this team is going.

It's too early to see what the results will be, but big chances involve big risks.

After years and years of same old, I feel like something is finally getting done. I'm not the target fan audience, so my opinion shouldn't be the one that counts, but this gm got me excited enough to read the different forums for 3 hours. That means really excited.

If you think losing MiG will automatically means a disaster, it's good to remember, that after the Isles lost Tavares last year, most expected a really bad season for them. Turned out things actually started working out for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: nt3005

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Hard pill to swallow but this was the result of players no where near perceived value, bad contracts and the need to get younger/faster. Not happy but glad he had the guts to finally start the process.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I hope he's going to the state fair or something this summer. I'd love if we all showed up to ask questions for him and russo.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
After a good nights sleep, I like the direction this team is going.
I like the direction the team is going, I don't like the value being bled in every deal to get there. I have no issue trading Nino, Coyle or Granlund. I do have an issue when all 3 trades are announced and the immediate reaction is the Wild got hosed because Fenton won't push for adds in his hockey trades. It's like he thinks if he takes a pick or not NHL ready prospect as well it sends the wrong message about focusing on the future and not the right now or something.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The feeling I have about Fenton negotiating trades is the same feeling I had when Hunt was out there hemmed in our end for 2:37 in the last game.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
The funny thing about all the left shot hate is that Fletcher started that. Yeah Fenton hasn't changed it, but he's has also only been here for less than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad