Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
all im doing is making sure people hold fenton atleast partially responsible for the pick. im not blaming BB for anything. im not even blaming fenton for standing pat just pointing out it was his decision to not make any major changes day 1 and run what you brung this season.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
When Fletcher took over he did nothing the first year, so standing pat in the beginning has precedence. The last thing I want to see is Fenton doing something just so he can say he did something.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
When Fletcher took over he did nothing the first year, so standing pat in the beginning has precedence. The last thing I want to see is Fenton doing something just so he can say he did something.

I agree that Fenton should not jump into anything unwisely, but I thought Fletcher traded for Latendresse soon after taking the helm. It was a move I think was pleasing and everyone was happy with Fletch until he traded Leddy away for Cam Barker a few months later.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
all im doing is making sure people hold fenton atleast partially responsible for the pick. im not blaming BB for anything. im not even blaming fenton for standing pat just pointing out it was his decision to not make any major changes day 1 and run what you brung this season.

wait until the TDL. Its already been stated he is shopping players but the return for under performing players probably is not that great so waiting until TDL to sell big on 4 or 5 players might just be crazy good if you have patience. there is no point in jumping on him at all yet until he actually makes a move. there were rumors predraft, rumors of coyle being shopped, just let this season unfold and then we can discuss how bad or great he is at GM after we actually see him work for a year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be fair to him, we are expecting him to pull off a semi-miracle and turn the team into cup contenders. At this point, with the players that we have, it doesn't look good for this team to be anything but a borderline playoff team. It's a bit much to ask of him to trade, say, Nino, and get back an impact player.

What I want is a clear vision from the GM for the team going into the future, then adjust to circumstances as they come up. Two years, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Nino could be a 30g, 35 a player, and Coyle a 20g, 35a player, and that they, together with Granlund and Zucker, would spearhead the forward group in the next few years. Now that idea seems hopelessly optimistic.

I think MN needs a reboot. Dumba's injury gives us a convenient excuse to do that. I just hope that ownership doesn't insist that we go all in and try to make the playoffs no matter what, as such an approach might hurt us in the long run.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
maybe this is as good as it gets for this core group. do we keep playing as is for sth or do we make changes that hopefully improve this teams future?
I think the best opportunity to see this team's true ceiling came the last two years, and obviously we didn't get there. Falling short of that and having a mediocre floor landing us right in the middle and pairing that with trading so many draft picks has kind of put us in a tough spot. The core and team we have now can compete with almost any team when they are on or want to play, but they leave so much to be desired. When we don't get solid secondary scoring over periods of time, we really just tread water. Fenton talked about "tweaks" in the off-season and we really didn't see much of those.. I am not saying to blow it all up entirely and waiting until the TDL might give us more clear picture but some in season tweaks might be the only option. The benefit of doing some movement early would be that come Feb we would really know if those other moves set us up or not, the cons would be making some moves with our hands tied. I don't want to see trades for the sole purpose of just making a change, I'd rather have no trades than bad/forced ones.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
"Darth Suter" sounds good...appropriately evil

Darth Dumba sounds goofy

Darth Nino sounds silly

Darth Granlund sounds surprisingly OK. Same with Darth Boudreau.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
"Darth Suter" sounds good...appropriately evil

Darth Dumba sounds goofy

Darth Nino sounds silly

Darth Granlund sounds surprisingly OK. Same with Darth Boudreau.

Darth Staal would be my choice. Darth Fehr is okay too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
how does darth know what hes getting for Christmas? he feels the presence ( silly joke on the radio yesterday). hey so when is fenton going to make an announcement?

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
how does darth know what hes getting for Christmas? he feels the presence ( silly joke on the radio yesterday). hey so when is fenton going to make an announcement?

I can't see much of a market for anything right now, everything is way too tight.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I just hope his move is not canning Boudreau. We wouldn't have had two 100-point regular seasons without him, and it's becoming increasingly apparent that this roster is the definition of "good, but not good enough".

Reactions: TaLoN and 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd bet money on a defenseman getting called up today, but a trade anytime soon would surprise me.
A bit better puck skills from the back end would help, but what we really need is a forward with a pulse.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Call me crazy but I am excited to see what this season brings going forward. It's weird, I'm more excited than when we were in 2nd place.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I just hope his move is not canning Boudreau. We wouldn't have had two 100-point regular seasons without him, and it's becoming increasingly apparent that this roster is the definition of "good, but not good enough".
Boudreau is clearly not the problem, and it would be a mistake to fire him for sure. That said, he wasn't Fenton's guy and someone might have to take the fall this year... but I sure hope not.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Call me crazy but I am excited to see what this season brings going forward. It's weird, I'm more excited than when we were in 2nd place.
To see how the team responds? To see what happens with Ek and Kunin? To see how far in the tank we can go? To see if Fenton makes a trade?

Can't say I'm excited at all right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad