Paul Coffey: Overrated or Underrated?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I almost think that you could get away with saying both. If he retired after the 95/96 season, people could say that he was really underrated. However, he chose to hang on ( just like Jeremy Roenick in my opinion) and play the " how many teams I can bounce around to" game and in many ways, he became overrated, due to the way his career finished.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I see Coffey as being underrated. he's easily the second best offensive defenseman ever and I've always felt that his defensive shortcomings have been vastly overstated. To me great defense is getting the puck out of your end. Coffey did this as well as anyone.
You're probably right.

Coffey did the following:
-- 1st or 2nd-team All Star 7 times in first 9 seasons.
-- more goals in a season than Bobby Orr
-- more 'primary points' (goals or first assist) in a season than any D-man, ever
-- four season in a row at +50 or better

I personally think Coffey's greatest seasons were his second through his fifth: 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, and 1984-85. His whole career sort-of peaked in the 1985 playoffs (esp. vs Winnipeg and Philadelphia) when he almost won the Conn Smythe. If we freeze his career in the summer of 1985, it looked like the was heading for an Eddie Shore / Bobby Orr-ish legacy. On the day he turned 24, he already had four 1st/2nd team All Stars, one Norris (should have had two by then), two 100+ point seasons (nearly three), two Stanley Cups, and he was +201.

He came back in 1985-86 and had his biggest offensive season and another Norris, but I personally think he had already peaked prior. In 1985-86, he would be on the ice for 44 of the 77 PP goals Edmonton allowed against (i.e., far too many), and a crazy 162 goals against, overall (a number he would surpass, barely, in 1989-90 in Pittsburgh). That was also the first season he started complaining about stuff (didn't want to play the Soviets, or the All Star game), and when he and Sather started butting heads. He really stopped playing defense competently late in 1985-86 because he was trying to break Orr's goals record (which he did, scoring 31 goals in the last 40 games!), but this came back to haunt him in the playoffs, when he was not effective.

He did 'tighten up' a bit in the '87 playoffs, though he was injured for some of it, but by then I think he was already pretty much done with Sather and Edmonton.

Reactions: plusandminus

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I almost think that you could get away with saying both. If he retired after the 95/96 season, people could say that he was really underrated. However, he chose to hang on ( just like Jeremy Roenick in my opinion) and play the " how many teams I can bounce around to" game and in many ways, he became overrated, due to the way his career finished.

I think there should probably be a little more forgiveness towards players holding on after both the league (and more importantly: the money) started expanding.

Coffey made over half of his career salary after 1995-96, so while it would have been perfect to go out with his reputation at its highest, I’m really happy the guy got paid. Because he deserved it. Think of the amount of money a man with his rare skill set would have commanded from the 21st century NHL.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I think there should probably be a little more forgiveness towards players holding on after both the league (and more importantly: the money) started expanding.

Coffey made over half of his career salary after 1995-96, so while it would have been perfect to go out with his reputation at its highest, I’m really happy the guy got paid. Because he deserved it. Think of the amount of money a man with his rare skill set would have commanded from the 21st century NHL.

Paul Coffey however, was one of the rare players back then to make some really decent money. In 1983/84, he made $259,520 ( today that's $675,199). In the last good season in his career (95/96), he made $3.6M ( today that's $9,365,096). In between, Coffey made $6,791,691 (today that's $17,668,011). After he really started to go down hill, Coffey made another $12,450,000 ( today worth $32,387,625). I know for a fact myself, that my family could live really good just from the $3.6M for the rest of our lives. The rest is just either greed or someone had/has expensive tastes.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he is over rated as defensively he was really a black hole at times and playing with Gretzky, then Mario and then the Detroit machine make him seem better than he really was IMO.

People often cite that he could play defense and then point out the 88 Canada Cup as evidence but the history of hockey is littered with players that could do things but didn't do them consistently.

Really switch the teams and places with Phil Housley and there would not be much of a difference.

That being said Coffey is better than Housley but the point still stands.

We saw how non HHOF track Larry Murphy was doing then BAMM a trade to Pittsburgh and a revival in Detroit gets him into the HHOF.

They both aged very similar and Housley actually had the better start in the NHL.

Team situations probably account for more than we usually give credit for IMO.

Reactions: ted2019

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Paul Coffey however, was one of the rare players back then to make some really decent money. In 1983/84, he made $259,520 ( today that's $675,199). In the last good season in his career (95/96), he made $3.6M ( today that's $9,365,096). In between, Coffey made $6,791,691 (today that's $17,668,011). After he really started to go down hill, Coffey made another $12,450,000 ( today worth $32,387,625). I know for a fact myself, that my family could live really good just from the $3.6M for the rest of our lives. The rest is just either greed or someone had/has expensive tastes.

Call me greedy, but if somebody offered to more than double my net worth in exchange for me showing up to play hockey three nights a week for 7 months in each of the next three years, I don't think they'd have to ask me twice.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Really switch the teams and places with Phil Housley and there would not be much of a difference.
200.gif

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think he is over rated as defensively he was really a black hole at times and playing with Gretzky, then Mario and then the Detroit machine make him seem better than he really was IMO.

People often cite that he could play defense and then point out the 88 Canada Cup as evidence but the history of hockey is littered with players that could do things but didn't do them consistently.

That being said Coffey is better than Housley but the point still stands.

We saw how non HHOF track Larry Murphy was doing then BAMM a trade to Pittsburgh and a revival in Detroit gets him into the HHOF.

They both aged very similar and Housley actually had the better start in the NHL.

Team situations probably account for more than we usually give credit for IMO.

Paul Coffey didn't take crap from other players and had a reputation as a guy who would get gritty when need be. Phil Housley was softer than a paper towel. And this is coming from a Sabres fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad