Paul Byron vs Sven Baertschi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I do remember all to often him putting the puck into the goalies crest. I'm like, don't you know how to shoot at a target? Very frustrating.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Lombardi was an average 3rd line center. If he were a winger, he'd probably never have seen much icetime with the Flames.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Right now it appears we have a glut on fringe NHLers and prospects, but the picture will be clear soon, it always has a way of working itself out, and guys like Byron/Colborne etc (guys i personally like) tend to get weeded out and replaced rather easily.. Just the way she goes, as much as I like Byron, I doubt he's on the team next year, and it honestly won't be a huge loss

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agree that Byron probably has a limited future with the Flames. However what Colborne has done this year, will in my opinion ensure that he is here for at least next season if not longer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agree that Byron probably has a limited future with the Flames. However what Colborne has done this year, will in my opinion ensure that he is here for at least next season if not longer.
Agreed. I don't see Byron back as more than the 13th forward (regular injury replacement that sees 60+ games), but Colborne is still improving, it would not be smart to give up on him now.

If Colborne plays the remaining 29 games he is on pace to finish with 38 points in 64 games. which would top his rookie season by 10 points despite playing 16 fewer games. In addition to points Colborne is hitting more (2.37 hit/gp this year. 1.61 hit/gp last year), his FO% have risen too (48.5% to 52.7%) as have his takeaways (0.375 tka/gp to 0.457 tka/gp). Colborne is steadily progressing into a solid power forward that can take key draws when slotted in at centre.

I think Colborne continues to improve offensively for the next 2-3 seasons as he continues to learn how to use his size more effectively. IMO that is the difference between power forwards and other forwards and why they seem to develop later; there is just so much of their game that depends on more than their puck skills. As they get smarter their offensive games will improve as a result of knowing how to use their size more effectively.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agreed. I don't see Byron back as more than the 13th forward (regular injury replacement that sees 60+ games), but Colborne is still improving, it would not be smart to give up on him now.

If Colborne plays the remaining 29 games he is on pace to finish with 38 points in 64 games. which would top his rookie season by 10 points despite playing 16 fewer games. In addition to points Colborne is hitting more (2.37 hit/gp this year. 1.61 hit/gp last year), his FO% have risen too (48.5% to 52.7%) as have his takeaways (0.375 tka/gp to 0.457 tka/gp). Colborne is steadily progressing into a solid power forward that can take key draws when slotted in at centre.

I think Colborne continues to improve offensively for the next 2-3 seasons as he continues to learn how to use his size more effectively. IMO that is the difference between power forwards and other forwards and why they seem to develop later; there is just so much of their game that depends on more than their puck skills. As they get smarter their offensive games will improve as a result of knowing how to use their size more effectively.

Great post. Personally I am hoping Colborne can become a little bit for us like what Stoll is for the Kings.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wheeler took a long time to get going to and hit the level he's at. I remember watching Wheeler on the Bruins, before Atlanta. He was quite thin for his frame, when you look at him now, he looks like a different player entirely. Colborne will likely add another 10lbs of muscle over the next 2-3 seasons and as he continues to mentally grow into his body and truly learn how to use it to his advantage, we should see steady progression from him over next few years until he hits his prime for 4-5 years. He may likely never have the upside of Oshie, but he's a versatile skilled player as others have mentioned and we really don't know his ceiling yet. But if he records 40 points this year with potential to improve in the near future, we'll have a very useful player on our hands.

AF posted the numbers, and you can see it his game that he's added that physical element. Colborne has always been a finesse player historically, but it's great to see how coachable he is and has added a major dimension to his game in order to become an everyday NHL player. I truly believe he can be 55-60 point player. I better get this guy on my fantasy team.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I wonder if people forget just how old Colborne actually is. Power forwards may take longer to develop, but that normally means a breakout of like 24-26, rather than the 21-23 of other offensive forwards. Colborne is already 25 years old. Just to use recent examples, Iggy, Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic all had broken out by their mid-20s.

I'm not saying Colborne won't improve, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to be substantial (especially offensively).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wonder if people forget just how old Colborne actually is. Power forwards may take longer to develop, but that normally means a breakout of like 24-26, rather than the 21-23 of other offensive forwards. Colborne is already 25 years old. Just to use recent examples, Iggy, Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic all had broken out by their mid-20s.

I'm not saying Colborne won't improve, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to be substantial (especially offensively).

We are also comparing apples and oranges here.
Colborne is not in the same universe as those players. We're talking probably 3 HoF'ers (at least 2) and a great scorer in his own right (Luc).

I think you have to look more at guys like Ryan Clowe, Horton or even Hartnell (offensively) as an offensive comparable. He's never going to be a 70-100 point guy in the league, that's for damn sure. But to assume he can't bring those point totals up to 50; would probably be folly. Not saying he'll be a 50 point guy his entire career; but he has the tools for it.

Colborne will continue to improve as his net presence improves and if he keeps getting better at using his body; he's a big boy, if he goes hard to the net, there aren't many guys who will be getting in his way. In a perfect world, he could slot in as an elite 3C; plus top 6 tweener in a pinch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

He is also a 25 year old that never had his rookie season until he was 24. You can't learn to use your physicality in the NHL unless you are in the NHL. It is not so much a development of skills, but development that comes with experience.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He is also a 25 year old that never had his rookie season until he was 24. You can't learn to use your physicality in the NHL unless you are in the NHL. It is not so much a development of skills, but development that comes with experience.

Yep, he was never given a really good opportunity in Toronto because all they do to fill their roster is overpay UFA's. Colborne could have easily been a middle 6er on their team.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Sharks fan here. Noticed Sven wasn't in the lineup last night but I was excited to watch him with all the hype he's been getting. Before being sent down, how has he looked and, for anyone who watches Adirondack, how has he been for them recently?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sharks fan here. Noticed Sven wasn't in the lineup last night but I was excited to watch him with all the hype he's been getting. Before being sent down, how has he looked and, for anyone who watches Adirondack, how has he been for them recently?

He hasn't played a lot here this season, but he's been more physical and is very capable of making skill plays. Still sometimes loses his position in the defensive zone, but the effort is there. He's a little inconsistent in the AHL. Has multi-point games often, but also plenty of zero-point games.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

It's complicated.

To start the season his confidence was totally shot, probably from being demoted during training camp on his birthday.

They called him up in October/November and Hartley kept putting him on checking lines for 8 minutes a night. He still showed flashes in that time, and set up Paul Byron for some goals.

Still the callup, and the team's hot stretch, did something positive for him overall, and when he was sent back down this time it was because a guy was returning from injury and there just wasn't room.

He went back down, and on a line with Bill Arnold and Emile Poirier those three were one of the best lines in the American league. Sven complemented Emile, and Bill complemented Sven, and Emile complemented the score sheet. Things were pretty damn awesome and they were all tearing it up.

Then Arnold got injured and the line went a little cold without a faceoff/defensive center to really drive play.

Then Sven got called up and was healthy scratched a bunch. It wasn't really his fault though, the team was just playing damn well. Then Sven finally played a game vs Winnepeg and looked the best I've seen him look. Hartley was giving him minutes and confidence too. He did take a penalty, but it was a questionable call at best.

...Then the team got a bit healthy again and he was sent down to get some playing time.

My takeaway from all that is that he's going to come into next year's training camp and plain and simple force Hartley to play him.

Other peoples' takeaway is that he's going to be traded.

Only Brad Treliving and Bob Hartley know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad