Proposal: Paul Byron to a cup contender

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’d trade him now, but think he’ll get us more at the TDL assuming he has another good season

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
2nd round pick. Then whoever trades for him will wonder why they did in the end.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Late 1st works for me.
I love Paul Byron but there is absolutely no way you get a 1st round pick for a 2nd/3rd liner on an expiring contract. Look at the return Patrick Maroon got at the deadline... and Maroon is better than Byron. Depending on the timing of the trade, I expect a 2nd/3rd + a prospect. A 2nd round pick for an expiring contract would be a phenomenal return for Montreal.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Teams won't fork over a late 1st for a depth addition. They'll fork over a late 1st for an expiring top 6 F, top 4D.

In all likelihood, he brings back a 2nd & B+ prospect (NHLer struggling to put up consistent points/crack the lineup in his early twenties).

The best way for Montreal to crank up Byron's value would probably involve something like this:

Team XYZ
Byron (1.16M AAV)

Mtl
2nd 2019
2nd 2020
Cap dump who still has another year left on his contract in the 4-6M AAV range.

I think that's the best return you could get, take on a cap dump to help a competing team make another bid on another player and you could get 2 2nds out of it I'm sure.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I love Paul Byron but there is absolutely no way you get a 1st round pick for a 2nd/3rd liner on an expirin contract. Look at the return Patrick Maroon got at the deadline... and Maroon is better than Byron. Depending on the timing of the trade, I expect a 2nd/3rd + a prospect. A 2nd round pick for an expiring contract would be a phenomenal return for Montreal.

I think Grabner is the better comparable here, they play a fairly similar game, have a similar role and have put up similar offensive numbers, and look what he got.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I love Paul Byron but there is absolutely no way you get a 1st round pick for a 2nd/3rd liner on an expiring contract. Look at the return Patrick Maroon got at the deadline... and Maroon is better than Byron. Depending on the timing of the trade, I expect a 2nd/3rd + a prospect. A 2nd round pick for an expiring contract would be a phenomenal return for Montreal.

What is Maroon exactly better at?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If the Oilers could make it work cap wise . I would be all for bring him in . 3rd + B prospect and a NHL contract going back

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would definitely offer a 2nd+ as Tampa. I feel like him next to Gourde would be insane.

Where's he gonna play? Who in the top 9 is he pushing out of there? And no he's not replacing Killorn there, who's the much better all around player. At the deadline for depth or injury cover their can be interest but someone with size would be better. If we are gonna move a 2nd + prospect I'd attach those to shed a contract not bring in someone when we could get a prospect to do what Byron would for us.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the return would be solid cause there would be lots of interest. Price likely increases cause I can see 5 teams very interested in him. A 2nd and a B type prospect is a min value. I can see a 1st (late 1st) and a B type prospect being offered if a team wanted him over another team. How do you sweeten the deal to outbid the other? A late 1st would do it but it's a steep price to pay. That team would likely want to talk to Byron to see if a sign and trade was available.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
Seems like 2nd plus B/C prospect (or a late 1st at TDL from a desperate that has an injured winger) is the general consensus. I'd be even be willing to take a 3rd plus a better prospect.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Seems like 2nd plus B/C prospect (or a late 1st at TDL from a desperate that has an injured winger) is the general consensus. I'd be even be willing to take a 3rd plus a better prospect.

Teams are usually very reluctant to give up prospects they like, especially for rental players. I think it's much more likely that they give up a 2nd instead of 3rd to keep the better prospect.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If they acquired another 2nd round pick from another team that is a early second pick therefor it works..

So for a proper trade you expect a team to have low first and a high second. If they dont have a high second you expect the team to go out and trade for one, just so they can complete the trade for Byron? Yea that sounds realistic.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Johnson isn't getting you Poehling 1 vs 1. Montreal can finally develop a legit top 6 center with many skills, not an ex NCAA ufa dwarf who is almost 30.

Lmao Johnson would be by far the best center on your team and if you don’t consider him a legit top six center then I seriously question the value of your opinion on anything that has to do with hockey. He was the effective 1C of a team that went to game six of the SCF and the 1C of a team that went to game 7 of the ECF. But I guess it’s been so long since Montreal has had a real center that you’ve forgotten what one looks like.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Johnson isn't getting you Poehling 1 vs 1. Montreal can finally develop a legit top 6 center with many skills, not an ex NCAA ufa dwarf who is almost 30.
He’s not ufa for a while and you are really stretching the definition of almost 30, also ex NCAA is not a good insult considering Poehling is in the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad