Paul Allen, Trail Blazers and Seahawks owner, dies at 65

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It shouldn't be empty. But it brings the question of why said people want a team when there are other places who have a more attentive audience.

You mean like that team on your avatar, circa 10-20 years ago? ;):eek: (product was horrible. check. owner's didn't give a rat's ass. check. fans stopped buying tickets. check.)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
You mean like that team on your avatar, circa 10-20 years ago? ;):eek: (product was horrible. check. owner's didn't give a rat's ass. check. fans stopped buying tickets. check.)
Yea but we still had the corporate support. That's not happening San Diego.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
1) Allen owned both the NBA and the arena. So both will be sold as 1 package.

Regarding the NHL it comes down is $$$. Will the new owner have the $$$ and the will to pay that high of a price for a team that's only 22 in the tv market.

I don't know how portland is expected to get a team with its high price and team #32 is basically taken by Seattle. I don't see any reason NHL should go beyond 32 teams.

Well it's interesting that other people are discussing MLB potential expansion into Portland.

Just thinking about the cost of an expansion fee and a building, an owner would probably be looking at an easy 3billion.

500mill for a relocation fee with a building relatively ready to go seems like the better bet for the cost-conscious sports owner in the 22nd largest TV market.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It shouldn't be empty. But it brings the question of why said people want a team when there are other places who have a more attentive audience.

The visions of “Dollar Bill” Wirtz comes to mind here. :rolleyes:

But nevermind.... you are aware the Chargers are still struggling at the gate in LA, right?? That there’s rumblings within the league hierarchy that are now regretting they ever allowed the Chargers to move there over the Raiders.

The Raiders are actually planning on marketing to their fans in LA, who will have no issue making the drive up the I-15 to Las Vegas when they arrive rather than switch support to a franchise they’ve been opposed to for decades.

The Chargers had relatively little fan support outside of San Diego County, so what’s that really say about “more attentive audience”??

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The visions of “Dollar Bill” Wirtz comes to mind here. :rolleyes:

But nevermind.... you are aware the Chargers are still struggling at the gate in LA, right?? That there’s rumblings within the league hierarchy that are now regretting they ever allowed the Chargers to move there over the Raiders.

The Raiders are actually planning on marketing to their fans in LA, who will have no issue making the drive up the I-15 to Las Vegas when they arrive rather than switch support to a franchise they’ve been opposed to for decades.

The Chargers had relatively little fan support outside of San Diego County, so what’s that really say about “more attentive audience”??
Yes I know. But they are going to make more money, even with the lower revenue projection. Fact is San Diego didn’t give Spanish the downtown stadium he wanted.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well it's interesting that other people are discussing MLB potential expansion into Portland.

Just thinking about the cost of an expansion fee and a building, an owner would probably be looking at an easy 3billion.

500mill for a relocation fee with a building relatively ready to go seems like the better bet for the cost-conscious sports owner in the 22nd largest TV market.
Last mlb team sold was Miami Marlins for $1.3 billion and they have a new stadium.

If that is roughly the cost for a team in Portland, then we’re looking at close to $2 billion for the team and stadium.

Milwaukee also opened the Firsev Forum in June. It seats 17.5k for basketball. No official numbers for hockey capacity but it is noted that they can hold the frozen four which their old arena used to do. Hockey general is about 1k fewer seats.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Last mlb team sold was Miami Marlins for $1.3 billion and they have a new stadium.

If that is roughly the cost for a team in Portland, then we’re looking at close to $2 billion for the team and stadium.

Milwaukee also opened the Firsev Forum in June. It seats 17.5k for basketball. No official numbers for hockey capacity but it is noted that they can hold the frozen four which their old arena used to do. Hockey general is about 1k fewer seats.

I don't see a team going for that much in Portland for expansion.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't see a team going for that much in Portland for expansion.
No idea what mlb will be seeking in expansion fees. Not sure how much of Marlins stadium was paid by the team. Just know they got a sweetheart of a deal.

So, maybe fee is closer to $1 billion and they have to figure out $500 million plus for the stadium.

Possible expansion cities include Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, Las Vegas. Long shots are Mexico City and Vancouver (which I don’t see due to the cost of land for a stadium).

Not sure if baseball can squeeze that much out especially considering one of these cities could be a relocation destination if TB and Oakland can’t figure out their stadium situation. As well as overall market size.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
$1 billion is too much for a single person to optimally control. I mean look at the stupid things Elon Musk is now doing with his wealth. Even the smartest people just can't control that much wealth.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes I know. But they are going to make more money, even with the lower revenue projection. Fact is San Diego didn’t give Spanish the downtown stadium he wanted.

He’s still got no stadium. He pays only $1 rent but where are his revenues??

In 2014 (per Forbes) the Chargers had $340M in revenues... now they’re projecting only $150M their first year in Inglewood.

They have to share the market with the Rams.

So where’s the money going to come from?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

In 2014 (per Forbes) the Chargers had $340M in revenues... now they’re projecting only $150M their first year in Inglewood.

The 150M is for seat licenses only, I think. The remainder of their revenue will come from NFL shared revenue (TV and associated league wide revenue) and the 40% visitors' share of gate.

It's often been said that NFL teams are profitable already BEFORE they even sell one ticket.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The 150M is for seat licenses only, I think. The remainder of their revenue will come from NFL shared revenue (TV and associated league wide revenue) and the 40% visitors' share of gate.

It's often been said that NFL teams are profitable already BEFORE they even sell one ticket.

Yup it will work out. The thing is, Spanos is in a new stadium, the way he wanted. That wasn't happening in San Diego.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Reactions: Melrose Munch

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Team was only there for 50+ years..... :rolleyes:

You also knew the Chargers originally started in LA, right?? Spent one year there then moved to SD.

I’m beginning to believe you know little, if anything, about the franchise and its history in SD.

Yeah everyone knows they played there for a year and then Hilton bought them and moved them to SD. However, Jack Murphy/Qualcomm was outdated a long time ago and needed to be replaced. There were how many proposals that didn't go anywhere? Chula Vista, National City, and convention center one last fall. They had one last chance to keep the team with a hotel tax and 57% said no. How is that Spanos's fault?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Chicago isn’t San Diego.

San Diego’s relationship with the Spanos family was never that great. But the old man (Alex) knew not to push it too far. When he passed away, Dean took it over and drove it right off the cliff.

Um he didn't pass away until this week. I guess I'm not the one who doesn't know anything about the Chargers ;)

Yes I am aware that Dean has been running things for a few years.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah everyone knows they played there for a year and then Hilton bought them and moved them to SD. However, Jack Murphy/Qualcomm was outdated a long time ago and needed to be replaced. There were how many proposals that didn't go anywhere? Chula Vista, National City, and convention center one last fall. They had one last chance to keep the team with a hotel tax and 57% said no. How is that Spanos's fault?
Because NFL owners should not be asking for a penny to build a stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad