Paul Allen, Trail Blazers and Seahawks owner, dies at 65

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Sigh. Steve Balmer isn't going to move the clippers to Seattle. Not when he's has in the works building a new arena for the clippers in the LA market.
the NBA might move the Grizzlies to Seattle some of the league exes regret Moving the team from Vancouver to a market with Significantly less wealth. Are there any billionaires in the northwest who can own the Seahawks besides ballmer and Bezos

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
the NBA might move the Grizzlies to Seattle some of the league exes regret Moving the team from Vancouver to a market with Significantly less wealth. Are there any billionaires in the northwest who can own the Seahawks besides ballmer and Bezos

Bezos is not a sports guy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It comes down to the arena agreement. OVG, you don’t spend $700 million on the arena without being able to make that back.

NBA and NHL teams need to make money too. Gets complicated when you are dealing with 3 separate parties when it comes to sharing arena revenues. So, are the potential NHL owners in Seattle capable of acquiring an NBA team. That would make say Memphis more of a target than say Ballmer moving the Clippers, cause I don’t see him selling.

It works in Dallas because the Mavericks and Stars each contributed to the construction costs.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It comes down to the arena agreement. OVG, you don’t spend $700 million on the arena without being able to make that back.

NBA and NHL teams need to make money too. Gets complicated when you are dealing with 3 separate parties when it comes to sharing arena revenues. So, are the potential NHL owners in Seattle capable of acquiring an NBA team. That would make say Memphis more of a target than say Ballmer moving the Clippers, cause I don’t see him selling.

It works in Dallas because the Mavericks and Stars each contributed to the construction costs.
if the NBA ever did expand it wont be like the NHL the team would most likely be awful for 10 years because the Seattle team would be getting bench players from other teams .if OVG used thier NBA connections to convince the league to move Memphis Seattle would get a better chance to be successful in the NBA
if the Blazers are for sale they could pull something like MLB did with multiple teams changing owners and one of them moving .Something like Robert Pera buys the Blazers and David Bonderman buys the Grizzlies and Moves them to Seattle

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
if the NBA ever did expand it wont be like the NHL the team would most likely be awful for 10 years because the Seattle team would be getting bench players from other teams .if OVG used thier NBA connections to convince the league to move Memphis Seattle would get a better chance to be successful in the NBA
if the Blazers are for sale they could pull something like MLB did with multiple teams changing owners and one of them moving .Something like Robert Pera buys the Blazers and David Bonderman buys the Grizzlies and Moves them to Seattle
It’s more about who the ownership group would be and how they are able to come to terms with an agreement with ovg regarding the key arena. If it’s all under 1 umbrella like it would be for say Houston, then it doesn’t matter to TF which team reports higher revenue. It all rolls up under 1 entity in the end.

Al 3 parties from ovg, nhl and nba need to make money. How do they divide that pie up to the satisfaction of all 3 parties. That’s the biggest issue for Seattle IMO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It’s more about who the ownership group would be and how they are able to come to terms with an agreement with ovg regarding the key arena. If it’s all under 1 umbrella like it would be for say Houston, then it doesn’t matter to TF which team reports higher revenue. It all rolls up under 1 entity in the end.

Al 3 parties from ovg, nhl and nba need to make money. How do they divide that pie up to the satisfaction of all 3 parties. That’s the biggest issue for Seattle IMO.

the issue is for the NBA, the value of the clippers will drop if the team ever leaves LA and that will hurt the NBA as a whole.

Reactions: MikeCubs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the issue is for the NBA, the value of the clippers will drop if the team ever leaves LA and that will hurt the NBA as a whole.
I don’t see him moving from LA market. That doesn’t make fiscal sense. Now, neither did paying $2 billion for them a few years ago, but hey when you’re worth billions you do what you want.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Steve Ballmer Paid to much to swap ownership with another team if he wanted a team in Seattle .The Memphis is Market is closer to the size of Green bay without the history of the Packers Major Pro Sports Teams By TV Market Size i doubt the NBA would object to any move

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Steve Ballmer Paid to much to swap ownership with another team if he wanted a team in Seattle .The Memphis is Market is closer to the size of Green bay without the history of the Packers Major Pro Sports Teams By TV Market Size i doubt the NBA would object to any move
Would the nba stay in state with Memphis? Go to Nashville maybe? Obviously depends on what the arena deal the Preds have whether that would make fiscal sense if the owner isn’t the same.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
It would be a crime to move the Seahawks from Seattle and one of the best fan bases in the NFL

Reactions: MikeCubs

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Would the nba stay in state with Memphis? Go to Nashville maybe? Obviously depends on what the arena deal the Preds have whether that would make fiscal sense if the owner isn’t the same.
More problems for Robert Pera and his company Ubiquiti Networks
The Memphis Owner is not one the richest in the nba and the Team lost Money Report: Nine NBA teams lost money last season the Nashville market is far more lucrative David Stern was Notoriously Controlling he blocked the kings going to Seattle because before the Sonic left he went all the way to Seattle and frank chop insulted him and the NBA to his face Adam silver may have a different opinion on moving teams

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It would be a crime to move the Seahawks from Seattle and one of the best fan bases in the NFL
That won’t happen. You always factor in the stadium and revenue that the team generates.

St. Louis, i get the market size difference with LA, but never understood why the Edward Jones Dome wasn’t conducive for the Rams? Wasn’t it brand new when they arrived from LA? Disappointing that it didn’t last more than about 20 years.

Oakland, no stadium was coming. Same with the chargers though you can put a lot of that on Spanos. Market size difference as well.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
That won’t happen. You always factor in the stadium and revenue that the team generates.

St. Louis, i get the market size difference with LA, but never understood why the Edward Jones Dome wasn’t conducive for the Rams? Wasn’t it brand new when they arrived from LA? Disappointing that it didn’t last more than about 20 years.

Oakland, no stadium was coming. Same with the chargers though you can put a lot of that on Spanos. Market size difference as well.

I can't put San Diego on Spanos. He gave them every chance to keep the team. Qualcomm Stadium had been outdated for decades. Qualcomm, the Oakland Colsieum, and the old Busch Stadium opened within a year of each other. San Diego and Oakland refused to replace them while St Louis offered over $400 million to replace the replacement.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can't put San Diego on Spanos. He gave them every chance to keep the team. Qualcomm Stadium had been outdated for decades. Qualcomm, the Oakland Colsieum, and the old Busch Stadium opened within a year of each other. San Diego and Oakland refused to replace them while St Louis offered over $400 million to replace the replacement.
Didn't San Diego offer to build the Chargers a new stadium at the Qualcomm site only to have Spanos decline because he preferred a downtown location?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
the dome is still empty in st louis if Spanos wanted to start talks with The city Least shocking news ever: Report says owners discussing Chargers' viability in L.A.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't San Diego offer to build the Chargers a new stadium at the Qualcomm site only to have Spanos decline because he preferred a downtown location?
Why does downtown matter for a football stadium? I don’t think most stadiums are in the downtown. It’s not really an issue to have fans drive 45 minutes on a Sunday to get to the stadium.

Cardinals play in Glendale.

Baseball, hockey, basketball due to the number of games and weekday games makes it imperative to be convenient to get to.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Why does downtown matter for a football stadium? I don’t think most stadiums are in the downtown. It’s not really an issue to have fans drive 45 minutes on a Sunday to get to the stadium.

Cardinals play in Glendale.

Baseball, hockey, basketball due to the number of games and weekday games makes it imperative to be convenient to get to.
It wasn't my call, it was his. Spanos wanted the stadium in downtown San Diego, near Petco and definitely didn't want to be out where Qualcomm is (which is like three miles from downtown, it's not in the middle of nowhere or even in the burbs.)

I'm fairly certain San Diego offered him a Qualcomm replacement for very little personal investment from the team or Spanos and it was a non starter. As it is, SDSU was trying to take advantage of that plan and build a new stadium in the same place that's able to be expanded for "an NFL team" should one ever come to San Diego. I haven't heard much about that for a while though.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

You are aware the City of San Diego literally subsidized Chargers' ticket sales for three years at the cost of tens of millions to the city in the mid-90's, no?? I was living in the east county from mid-1994 through 2001 and saw it first hand.

Qualcomm was originally built as a baseball stadium for the Padres. The Chargers and SDSU played out of Balboa Stadium until it was no longer viable and moved into Qualcomm (still known as Jack Murphy Stadium then) after the city spent millions morphing it into a "multi-purpose" facility. Then in subsequent years (after the Chargers complained enough) spent millions more to make it more football friendly at the Padres' expense.

So now because Spanos couldn't get the city to build him a shiny new palace and toss the keys to him, he'll get to be a tenant to Stan Kroenke.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not to sound morbid, but interested to see what this does for Portland's chances at the NHL. It was already sort of Plan C or Plan D to begin with behind Seattle, QC, Houston.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It wasn't my call, it was his. Spanos wanted the stadium in downtown San Diego, near Petco and definitely didn't want to be out where Qualcomm is (which is like three miles from downtown, it's not in the middle of nowhere or even in the burbs.)

I'm fairly certain San Diego offered him a Qualcomm replacement for very little personal investment from the team or Spanos and it was a non starter. As it is, SDSU was trying to take advantage of that plan and build a new stadium in the same place that's able to be expanded for "an NFL team" should one ever come to San Diego. I haven't heard much about that for a while though.

Qualcomm is surrounded by three interstates (I-15, I-8, and I-805) plus SR163. There's also a dedicated Trolley route with a station right in the parking lot that was pushed through and built ahead of time for the last Super Bowl played there. So it's fully accessible from all residential regions in the county. The only drawback for the location is that it sits at the bottom end of Mission Gorge, which can get flooded.

Downtown wasn't the only site considered over the years. The old General Dynamics campus up on Kearny Mesa was looked at.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Qualcomm is surrounded by three interstates (I-15, I-8, and I-805) plus SR163. There's also a dedicated Trolley route with a station right in the parking lot that was pushed through and built ahead of time for the last Super Bowl played there. So it's fully accessible from all residential regions in the county. The only drawback for the location is that it sits at the bottom end of Mission Gorge, which can get flooded.

Downtown wasn't the only site considered over the years. The old General Dynamics campus up on Kearny Mesa was looked at.
From what I gathered, and I was just following from a distance, it wasn't about finding a location, it was about Spanos having a location in mind, and the city doing everything it could to get him what he needed EXCEPT put it where he wanted.

It wasn't a matter of San Diego not making an effort to keep the Chargers, it was an issue of Spanos wanting what he wanted and not being willing to avoid looking a gifted horse in the mouth.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I remember seeing an article 2 weeks ago when Paul said he was going for treatment. How unfortunate and very sudden, Rest In Peace. Live your life like it's the last day folks.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not to sound morbid, but interested to see what this does for Portland's chances at the NHL. It was already sort of Plan C or Plan D to begin with behind Seattle, QC, Houston.

The issue always has been is $$$. Portland didn't seem interested in paying that high expansion fee price. Allen said that much himself. It really depends on who buys the trailblazers and the arena and if that person seems interested in paying that high price for a team or not.

Portland is a top 25 market. 650m or more for Cortland is basically too much.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad