Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Little messed up that line tonight. Really poor decisions with the puck and not sharp. Laine was the best player on that line by a long way.

That's not saying much. None of our lines looked very good tonight.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Patrik Laine putosi ykköskoostumuksesta – suomalaistähti on käynyt syvällä: ”Ei ole kiinnostanut yhtään pelata”

A finnish tabloid interview from before the MTL game interiew, some interesting quotes. Didn't see this posted anywhere.

– Tällä hetkellä ei oikeastaan kiinnosta pätkän vertaa teenkö maaleja vai en. Kunhan saisin pelattua hyvin. Se on oikeastaan ainoa asia, joka tällä hetkellä kiinnostaa
-Right now I don't give a damn whether I score or not as long as I'm playing well. That's the only thing I'm interested in right now.

-Laine muisteli, että edellisen kerran yhtä tuskaista menoa oli kolme vuotta sitten. Silloin sarjatasona oli Mestis
-Laine reminisced that last time his play was dragging like this was over 3 years ago when he was playing in the finnish 2nd league.

– On ollut semmoisiakin pelejä, joissa ei ole kiinnostanut yhtään pelata. Ei oikein napannut. Silloin se peruspelikin näyttää siltä, ettei siitä tule yhtään mitään
-There's been games where I didn't care to play at all. Couldn't be bothered. At those times your entire game is gonna look bad.

Interesting.

Reactions: KB1971

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't think there is any proof that Laine isn't working his butt off to get better. He wants to be the best in the world.

If he's working his butt off to get better, then, given his recent play, he's either incredibly stupid or not physically capable of getting better. He actually seems to be getting worse, like, not only does he seem to learn nothing, but he also forgets stuff he used to know.

I said recent play but the same kinds of things that are glaring now could be seen throughout his time in the NHL, so there's nothing very new about them. It's just that by this time, they should be far fewer in number, not more. And if he's going to be the best player in the world, he could start by looking like he actually wants to play in the NHL, dirty fingernails and all.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Patrik Laine putosi ykköskoostumuksesta – suomalaistähti on käynyt syvällä: ”Ei ole kiinnostanut yhtään pelata”

A finnish tabloid interview from before the MTL game interiew, some interesting quotes. Didn't see this posted anywhere.

– Tällä hetkellä ei oikeastaan kiinnosta pätkän vertaa teenkö maaleja vai en. Kunhan saisin pelattua hyvin. Se on oikeastaan ainoa asia, joka tällä hetkellä kiinnostaa
-Right now I don't give a damn whether I score or not as long as I'm playing well. That's the only thing I'm interested in right now.

-Laine muisteli, että edellisen kerran yhtä tuskaista menoa oli kolme vuotta sitten. Silloin sarjatasona oli Mestis
-Laine reminisced that last time his play was dragging like this was over 3 years ago when he was playing in the finnish 2nd league.

– On ollut semmoisiakin pelejä, joissa ei ole kiinnostanut yhtään pelata. Ei oikein napannut. Silloin se peruspelikin näyttää siltä, ettei siitä tule yhtään mitään
-There's been games where I didn't care to play at all. Couldn't be bothered. At those times your entire game is gonna look bad.

Interesting.

To clarify based on the context of the article, when he's talking about games where he "didn't care to play at all" I think he is referring to his time in the Finnish 2nd league not NHL. Or is google translate failing me?

Reactions: KB1971

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
To clarify based on the context of the article, when he's talking about games where he "didn't care to play at all" I think he is referring to his time in the Finnish 2nd league not NHL. Or is google translate failing me?

I'm pretty sure he is talking about NHL games. However, he says that in recent times, not caring hasn't been the problem. He just hasn't been good enough.

Of course, the fact that it has ever been a problem at all, is pretty questionable on his part.

Then again Laine is known for being bluntly honest, a trait he carries for being a Tavastian. We just blurt out shit that nobody else would ever be stupid enough to say.

Reactions: JetsUK and nags

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

The sentence before that,
Tällä hetkellä Laine haluaa nostaa nimenomaan perustekemisen tasoa. Parin viime kuukauden aikana on nähty iltoja, jolloin Laineen pelaaminen ei ole täyttänyt millään muotoa NHL-tason vaatimuksia.
Right now Laine wants to up the level of his basic game. During the last few months there has been nights where Laine's game hasn't met the standards of an NHL player.

Unless the author of the article just wanted to grossly misrepresent Laine, he's talking about his NHL games. Google translate is pretty sketchy when it comes to finnish.

Reactions: JetsUK and KB1971

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Hope he finds ways to improve his game. Maybe the beard should be back?

If best on best Olympics were played right now I am not sure if I would like to have Pate on the Finnish national team.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Is Laine the most watch, talk , scrutinize, idolize amongst all the Jets?

Cant say about previous 1.0 version as there was no internet then.

We want so much for this young man to succeed, we get dissapointed if he is not (there) yet where i(we) he will be.

2 things thats keeping him from doing now;
  • The mental side of the game. This player have more pressure than most. As he is expected to score.
  • The physical maturity on his body. He is tall and lanky.

He will up his level soon.....

Gooo Laine

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He's referring to some of this season's games.

Either that, or the journalist is seriously incompetent in his ability to create a coherent article. But since it's Hoffren who wrote that, I really, really doubt that.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
I'm with Don with this one, he deserves a slap. Yeah sure, he is only 20 but it sounds like he's handling adversity like a 10-year-old. He's looked a bit more engaged last few games but there's still a lot to improve - even if only talking about his effort level.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'm with Don with this one, he deserves a slap. Yeah sure, he is only 20 but it sounds like he's handling adversity like a 10-year-old. He's looked a bit more engaged last few games but there's still a lot to improve - even if only talking about his effort level.
Well he is not the typical robotic hockey players when he answers an interview.

:laugh:

He probably doesnt mean it the way we interpreted it.

Good thing we dont follow NBA!

"What practice!"

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
If you think Laine would rather play in Winnipeg over Phoenix I would disagree. So that would also be a win win

I don't understand why this board is so pro Chipman but not the players. I have no issue with them getting
what they deserve and not take 5 million less a year like 55 did
Are you saying Scheifele deserved an $11M contract? You realize that would have made him - with a career-high 61 points - the highest paid player in the NHL at the time, right?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He needs to grow up.
Sure like most 20 years old in the planet...

Most of the Jets elite players wasnt even on Laine stage when they 1st started.

Buff
Wheeler
Schiefele

I dont even think Buff and Wheels arw in the league. And its schiefele 1st year.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
It would be much easier for Patrik if his center would be capable of something else than extremely one-dimensional and predictable offense.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
When you look at the some of the games from the first season or even some of the games from the second half of the last season, it's like tuning in to watch a whole another player.

Even if he was disinterested (although maybe not serving his own best interests) I wouldn't be surprised. After all he has accomplished more than most other youngsters coming into their third NHL season. Yet where was the promise of more ice time or even a promotion as a reward for all the success from the past two seasons? No where. And I think the realization of not ever getting promoted to the prime minutes (no matter what you did) hit him pretty soon as the 18-19 begun rolling, meaning it would lead to one and the only remaining option of having to struggle yet another year with the one player he least meshed up with. Mentally speaking, when you're cornered and you're at the mercy of the others, eventually the frustration hits you and every stride further gets harder and harder. That's exactly where I see Laine at this very moment.

16-17 he was scoring goals, making breath-taking plays and hitting players left to right. Nowadays it's like a whole a different player out there. The Jets management need to take a long look in the mirror with how they let this happen. Exposing someone's weaknesses long enough for this grand purpose of teaching him the "better way" (when that player's game is already something unique and worthy of preserving and developing further) just isn't the right way as I'm sure everyone can by now see with their own eyes. In Laine's case this basically meant almost out of the gates try mold him into something different instead of letting him learn along the way. This is one of those "before and after" scenarios where you consider the possibilities that went wrong.

I'm confident he will emerge back, I'm just not sure it will be under the embracing arms of Maurice nor Chev for that matter. Last game he was doing most things right and what did that earn him? Demotion into the second powerplay unit (don't care what they practised before the game). And we're talking about the one forward any team would kill to have on their PP unit (along with Ovechkin).

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
They just dont click like water and oil.

And Maurice hasn't been able to figure this one out through 3 seasons. How it's even possible? Why Laine would even re-sign with Jets if coach is worst possible on whole league?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Laine is brutally honest in interviews, please embrace and cherish it and don't turn every word against him. He's human and not afraid to show it and doesn't hide it behind meaningless hockey jargon - I would think fans would love more players like that. And never ever trust Google Translate between Finnish and English, the languages are so far apart the translations always buther everything.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Little messed up that line tonight. Really poor decisions with the puck and not sharp. Laine was the best player on that line by a long way.

Little didn't have his best game - but Laine turned the puck over at least a half dozen times and that's what I'm calling out.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Laine is brutally honest in interviews, please embrace and cherish it and don't turn every word against him. He's human and not afraid to show it and doesn't hide it behind meaningless hockey jargon - I would think fans would love more players like that. And never ever trust Google Translate between Finnish and English, the languages are so far apart the translations always buther everything.
In addition to this: based on my readings, European players tend to be more honest and open in interviews in their mother tongue. This ain't the first time Laine has said something 'controversial' in Finnish; for example, he has referred to some of the Jets of 16-17 as having no business in the NHL (paraphrase). We probably remember Kucherov throwing a lot of Bolts under the bus a couple of years ago, and Lindholm pretty much called out the Ducks' GM for being a cheapskate during the summer of 2016 in Swedish.

However, I don't really get your opening line... if Laine has a track record of literally speaking his mind, should we not be able to react to that accordingly? Laine is saying that there have been games this season which he has not been interested in; that should ring a lot of alarm bells. For me, everybody who has the Jets' logo in the front of his jersey enters each game with a passion to play, and those who do not can sit in the pressbox until they care again. I bloody hope Laine is actively trying to find a solution to whatever mess is hindering him, and the front office had better offer all the help they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad