Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I wouldn't worry to much about the current state of Laine's play. In every business situation , I always say - "what's the worse that could happen." ?? The absolute worst with Laine, is that he scores you 38 - 50 goals per year, and is just "a goal scorer" with a flawed game, that's incomplete at the moment. Not to bad at the worst situation. If he does score 50 goals, likely he'd only have 35 assists -total= 85 points. He's not that good a playmaker like Wheeler is, for example.

At the best he develops his game, gains strength as he ages, and becomes an all around player, who can score as well. This is what we ideally all hope to be the case.

In order to determine that, you need a lot of experience with people, and judging their characters, and also their physical potential and then make a decision. I believe it took Mckinnon from Colorado 4-5 years to come into his own, and same with Sceifele. This obviously means you need foresight and a whole lot of patience. I also think these big bodied players take longer to grow into their bodies.

This can be a very big advantage to the Jets right now for Laine, as he won't command the kind of money it's suggested that he wants --like $ 9-10 mil per year. Maybe because of his bad play, you can get him on a long term deal, at a great price, the same that was done with Scheifele ??

OR

The other option is you trade him for a guy like Duchene or Stone, or someone of that calibre, that will score close to what you "hope" that Laine will. Guys like Duchene will put up about 90 to 100 points per year -- so what would you lose with them ?? You "might" lose a little if Laine becomes a 120 point a year player, and I rather doubt that, and if he does --your only down 20 points or so. It's really a good problem to have, if you handle it right, and I think Chevy will.

I cant foresee or want to see us moving Laine. I agree with your first points. He may just be a slow bloomer and eventually have a complete game in 4 or 5 years and be a well rounded monster. It will be very interesting to see what he signs for. in regards to Duchene/Stone calibre, neither of those players have broke the 70 point barrier and are in their mid (stone), late (Duchene) 20s

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There's a lot of randomness in scoring and right now Laine is experiencing an unusual run of bad luck. It'll turn around. As Buff said today, he needs a goal that bounces off his head or something and get out of this slump.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
If Jets don't give Laine 10 mill a year than a team like Florida will and we lose him for 2 first rounders (and a 2 and a 3 no biggie)

Reactions: behemolari

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Jets don't give Laine 10 mill a year than a team like Florida will and we lose him for 2 first rounders (and a 2 and a 3 no biggie)

Then we match it and trade him wherever the hell we want for whatever return we want. Well send him to the Coyotes. He can rot there for awhile if he wants to play hard ball.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Then we match it and trade him wherever the hell we want for whatever return we want. Well send him to the Coyotes. He can rot there for awhile if he wants to play hard ball.

If you think Laine would rather play in Winnipeg over Phoenix I would disagree. So that would also be a win win

I don't understand why this board is so pro Chipman but not the players. I have no issue with them getting
what they deserve and not take 5 million less a year like 55 did

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Fine.

Ironically, letting go of a top player doesn't generally hurt a franchise. Signing a bad contract does. In a cap world every player is measured against their cap hit. Eg. Laine at 6M may be a wash, Laine at 3M is a positive, Laine at 8M is a negative.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If you think Laine would rather play in Winnipeg over Phoenix I would disagree. So that would also be a win win

I don't understand why this board is so pro Chipman but not the players. I have no issue with them getting

Wouldnt be his choice if he plans on signing an offer sheet.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Funny... Most players want to win so.. He's likely more than happy being here. The guy is from smalltown colder than us Finland

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Fine.

Ironically, letting go of a top player doesn't generally hurt a franchise. Signing a bad contract does. In a cap world every player is measured against their cap hit. Eg. Laine at 6M may be a wash, Laine at 3M is a positive, Laine at 8M is a negative.

So Little Wheeler and Helly all are making more than they might make on open market yet you want Laine to sign that low? That will never happen. 55 made that mistake no one else will

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Funny... Most players want to win so.. He's likely more than happy being here. The guy is from smalltown colder than us Finland

Once Laine Connor sign the team might have to lose an Ehler. So our team will not be as good going forward

Plus in Florida he would be with Barkov who he loves. So an offer sheet from them would not surprise me

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

So he'd rather play for a team that is horrible than a contender? Since he wants to pull a McDavid and spend his career losing so he can enjoy the outdoors? These are extremely competitive people who hate losing more than most of us. There is no way he is going to Phoenix that is a bad example. Tampa Islanders, okay I can see that, but, not Phoenix. If he goes to another contender they'll have a limited budget as well for what they can pay him.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Closing this for now. The videogame angle is taking over the thread, so after I land back in Toronto tomorrow, I'll split this into two threads (unless one of the other mods beats me to it): one for Laine vs videogames, and one for the rest.

It's a lot of work to have a young superstar on this team . :laugh:

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The thread has been cleaned up. The video game posts have been split into a different thread. Any posts about his gaming habits in this thread will be deleted without warning.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Yet another sluggish poor effort, crappy none pro body language, disinterested performance in this Montreal game 2 periods in.

God help this young man! He IS a shadow of what is was. Coach has work majorly cut out.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yet another sluggish poor effort, crappy none pro body language, disinterested performance in this Montreal game 2 periods in.

God help this young man! He IS a shadow of what is was. Coach has work majorly cut out.

You talking about 55 and 26 who are getting owned again? Oh Laine.. The guys looked ok. Better than 55 26 and 81

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Sit him in press box his compete level is non existent. Its gotten so bad I would rather see petan in there at least he will try.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Sit him in press box his compete level is non existent. Its gotten so bad I would rather see petan in there at least he will try.

I was hard on Laine last game but he was good today and tried his best. Connor and Wheeler were much worse and on the ice for every goal against at 5 on 5. Not sure why this game is being used to dunk on Laine after all the other "performances" from the other Jets.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I was hard on Laine last game but he was good today and tried his best. Connor and Wheeler were much worse and on the ice for every goal against at 5 on 5. Not sure why this game is being used to dunk on Laine after all the other "performances" from the other Jets.

I agree that the top line was really bad - again. Wheels and Scheif were not skating and Connor was lost without support on the rush.
I agree Laine is trying his best - but it's not nearly good enough. His game remains bad - still too many fly byes and lack of effort.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
One day his scoring will come back but if he wants to be a complete player he will have to get his feet to move quicker and his coconut will need to transfer the speed of the game to his stick faster.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree that the top line was really bad - again. Wheels and Scheif were not skating and Connor was lost without support on the rush.
I agree Laine is trying his best - but it's not nearly good enough. His game remains bad - still too many fly byes and lack of effort.
Little messed up that line tonight. Really poor decisions with the puck and not sharp. Laine was the best player on that line by a long way.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Actually, Laine was pretty good in that game.
I disagree. He could take a decent pass clean sometimes, looked efffotless at times, clunky awkward slow lumbering guy. More of the same crap to me in the game.

Again Schief, Farmbird and Wheels were piss poor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad