Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
He was getting hammered a alot in the boards and in front of the net last game. That's definitely affecting his mindset about driving to the net. I hope he realizes that he has to get stronger, faster and meaner to get that extra space in todays NHL.

He's still physically so raw, which I think many of us seem not to think about. There's a lot of work to be done to his legs and lower-body and that will help with his overall game. Naturally, it's also about his mental willingness but I'm sure it will get easier for him when he's not being pushed around all the time.

Lol, I would love to see a picture of Laine in shorts. I'll bet we would all be surprised how much strength a 6'5" kid has still to gain in his lower body. It's going to take a couple of years to grow into that lanky frame. I'll bet he's skating on toothpicks right now despite the work he's putting in. It's just the way it works with that frame.

I hate to bring up Schiefele every time..... but.....

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I understand your point but did any of the above have teams give up on them at 20 years old?

No because they were never this bad after being that good. That's my point here. Everyone I can find that was this bad after being that good completely busted and most of them were from injuries that changed the way they play.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I agree, but not for just the reason you state. Of course they have to see what the future holds for Laine, but also, the rest of the NHL sees what's going on, and if the Jets tried to trade him today, they would be doing so at Laine's lowest possible value. They would not get the return in him they would want.

But, Laine also has to be reasonable. Asking the Jets to sign him for 8 years at 10 or 11 million given the way he's played over the last 2 months with NO improvement on the horizon by the looks of it... the Jets would be insane to give Laine that kind of money.

Laine needs to accept what he currently looks like, a one trick pony that has lost his one trick, but someone with lots of potential still... and accept a bridge deal. You want the big pay day...then take the rest of this season to prove you still have it. And if you don't, suck it up and take the bridge.

He's not oblivious to his play. I think if he continues to struggle, he knows a 3 year bridge would work best. And honestly, more cap flex for the Jets short term. Long term, may be a bad play but if he's still struggling then, there is options to move him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lol, I would love to see a picture of Laine in shorts. I'll bet we would all be surprised how much strength a 6'5" kid has still to gain in his lower body. It's going to take a couple of years to grow into that lanky frame. I'll bet he's skating on toothpicks right now despite the work he's putting in. It's just the way it works with that frame.

I hate to bring up Schiefele every time..... but.....

I think some people brought this one Laine with their Lemieux comparisons. Mario that is. Mario was a tank of a human at 18 years old and Laine showed flashes of being that kind of player. I just find it odd that he only works on one area of fitness at a time. While other guys are training on every thing and they seem to get better to. Not everyone responds well to an exact style and I'm not so sure Laine is responding well to his training. It might be holding him back. Scheif should take him under his wing and get him into his program. It means he won't see his mommy for the summer but I was already living almost 2000km away from my parents at 19 to make a living so ll I can say is suck it up kid and put in the work.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Until I see Laine struggle with a center who doesnt tank everyone he plays with offensively I reserve judgement.

I remember Maurice saying early this year they want Laine to handle the puck more and use his body like Jagr to protect it. Seems to be working like a charm pomo! We should ask him to pass like Gretzky's fight like Domi and then hit like Steven's next.
you obviously just look at the box scores and dont watch any games whatsoever if you think little is a problem. and even if you look at just box scores you would see little is just doing fine compared to other number 2 centres in league pointwise.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
you obviously just look at the box scores and dont watch any games whatsoever if you think little is a problem. and even if you look at just box scores you would see little is just doing fine compared to other number 2 centres in league pointwise.

Yeah especially when Little and Rosie get separated from Laine on PP2 and start lighting it up. Didn't Little have 2 goals the other night? And Rosie has 5 in his last 5. Both of them seem to be playing just fine. It's not a great excuse.

The hard truth is goalscorers find ways to score no matter who they play with. And when their shit gets figured out they adapt and keep putting them in the net. Ovi, Kovy, Iggy, Stammer, Heatley in his prime, Malkin, Crosby.

Elie goalscorers find ways to score no matter what and if they aren't scoring they are still contributing to the play on the ice.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
At this point in time, we need to start questioning what specific development plan Maurice and the Jets have been using for Laine. He is the most important asset in Jets 2.0 history. The development plan is not working. He is a worse hockey player today than when he entered the league two years ago.

If the tools that the Jets are using to help him are going to be benchings and willy nilly in game utilization decisions about for example now you are off the power play, ok now its a very high risk situation so you are back on the powerplay, then I don't think it's going to be effective to help him get out of his slump. Even his one trick of standing in Ovi's spot and firing pucks that are spoon fed to him is failing him as he keeps blasting it often high and wide.

Maybe it is all on Laine for him to go figure it out on his own, stay out and take extra shots at practice and go pick up all the pucks and put them in the bucket and come back to the locker room alone. But that doesn't seem like the kind of approach that an organization that likes to pride itself as a draft and develop organization should be proud of.

I'll use your post as a jumping off point since it discusses some of the things I've been thinking (right or wrong).

Development plan - I feel like however Maurice is coaching Laine has sucked all of the fun and enthusiasm out of him. Without knowing positively, I'll bet it's all defence. He's the first one back covering for a pinching D, and sometimes on the forecheck he's not even on the TV screen because he's covering D again. This isn't how he's played his entire career to this point. I'm not saying that he doesn't have to learn D, but let the guy play his game to some extent. I remember very good coaches saying that you learn in practices but eventually you just have to go out and play, because you don't have time to second guess every move you make, and that's exactly what this year (and part of last year) looks like to me. He doesn't look like the same player from 3 nd 4 years ago. I hope we're not trying to make him something that he's not.

Patrik's play - He looks like he is having exactly zero fun out there, not exactly the way to bring your A game. In the D zone, he's mostly standing in the open waiting for a quick pass from the boards (I have to think that's coaching telling him this because it's not like him usually). Zone entries, he won't dump and chase to get the puck deep (Not sure why?) and if he tries to carry in, there never seems to be a linemate around to pass to, so he goes it alone. Other lines seem to go in 3 wide or close to it, why is Laine entering the zone with no linemates?

I hope he's having open and honest conversations with Maurice and they both understand what the plan is for him and his place on the team and they both see the same end game, that we won't know here. Ultimately Patrik has to fight for his spot on the team and for pucks and for time and space, that's on him, but I'll bet he hears the coaches voice in his head with every decision instead of just doing.

Upcoming Contract - Chevy knows from talking daily to Laine himself, coaches and players, exactly what he has in Laine. He is going to use the knowledge that we don't have access to, to make the right decision for the team. I have complete faith in Chevy for that.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So far this is my favorite Laine goals.

And i hope i keep changing it yearly :)

He needs to be cocky again!

Goal scorers cannot be timid.

Hope he watch all his videos in youtube.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think some people brought this one Laine with their Lemieux comparisons. Mario that is. Mario was a tank of a human at 18 years old and Laine showed flashes of being that kind of player. I just find it odd that he only works on one area of fitness at a time. While other guys are training on every thing and they seem to get better to. Not everyone responds well to an exact style and I'm not so sure Laine is responding well to his training. It might be holding him back. Scheif should take him under his wing and get him into his program. It means he won't see his mommy for the summer but I was already living almost 2000km away from my parents at 19 to make a living so ll I can say is suck it up kid and put in the work.

He's putting in the work and his training is being planned and supervised by the Jets. He's just tall and skinny and young.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ChevysDayOff

Nov 2, 2018
Winnipeg
Trade Laine for an extended Stone. I'd much prefer Stone at 8 years x $9 million versus Laine at 8 years x 10-11 million.

Recent analytics suggest that peak player performance is between the ages of 21-26. I love the way Stone plays but I'd rather gamble on a Laine bridge deal, I like the odds. I think signing Stone would shorten the current window.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's putting in the work and his training is being planned and supervised by the Jets. He's just tall and skinny and young.

The Jest supervise like any team but they, like any team, leave summer training entirely up to the players. They all pay out of pocket for summer training, The goalie coach that Helle and Brossoit see is funded by them, Scheif and Wheeler see Oates who they pay for. Those trainers aren't going to alter what they do for any team, unless that team pays them. Remember when MoJo got to big in the summer and it led to him being a bit slower? That was all him. The Jets help these guys put a plan in place but they don't interfere with anything that happens in the summer they just check in on guys progress and that is it.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Not sure how to embed tweets but..
Patrik Laine after 53 games
2018-19 25 goals
2017-18 24 goals
2016-17 23 goals
Awesome if all you do is look at the box score! There is no way even the most hard core Laine fan can watch the way he has played for quite a while now and come to the conclusion that he is playing ok and helping the team, he is a complete liability when he is on the ice even more so when he is not putting the puck in the net.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
it's impossible to predict Laine's final goal and point totals. 18 goals in Nov, 15 goals in 5 games...he can hit his current projected pace of 39 goals within a month, or it could be tough to achieve given the way he's been playing lately continues

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Awesome if all you do is look at the box score! There is no way even the most hard core Laine fan can watch the way he has played for quite a while now and come to the conclusion that he is playing ok and helping the team, he is a complete liability when he is on the ice even more so when he is not putting the puck in the net.
You got all that from that? Chill dude, I agree. The stats did make me feel better though, come join me off the ledge.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The Jest supervise like any team but they, like any team, leave summer training entirely up to the players. They all pay out of pocket for summer training, The goalie coach that Helle and Brossoit see is funded by them, Scheif and Wheeler see Oates who they pay for. Those trainers aren't going to alter what they do for any team, unless that team pays them. Remember when MoJo got to big in the summer and it led to him being a bit slower? That was all him. The Jets help these guys put a plan in place but they don't interfere with anything that happens in the summer they just check in on guys progress and that is it.

I'm not going back into this again. I read what Slaunwhite said and that's good enough for me.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'm thinking that if we sign him to a long term deal, then there should not be a no trade clause, as if he struggles for a few years, some teams might be willing to somewhat overpay to take a chance on him.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
In the conference finals against the knights.

Only 2 players from the Jets scored more than 1 goal against the lights out Fleury.

One is Mark Scheifele

Lets GO
Laine!!!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
In the conference finals against the knights.

Only 2 players from the Jets scored more than 1 goal against the lights out Fleury.

One is Mark Scheifele

Lets GO
Laine!!!

Quite a difference in Patrik's body language and foot speed getting open on that goal. I haven't seen that intensity in a while.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's crazy how he is a completely different player then he was. I think he just needs to watch some game footage of what he used to do and start doing that again. He was finishing checks with an exclamation point in those playoffs. He needs to make guys feel insecure about going into the corners with him. Right now they probably think "awesome, this is an easy win."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad