Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m liking this idea more and more. Laine is still slumping and we still are winning, we don’t really need him to win, If we traded him for Stone and a couple firsts, we could take the money allocated to Laine, and sign Stone... immediate upgrade. We also have extra money to overpay Trouba and keep him. Heck, we could trade Trouba and one of our firsts we picked up and upgrade that spot too.... Options are endless. Let’s face reality, by the time Laine is ready to compete, a lot of our leaders will be too old and the Jets window to win may already be closed
I'd much prefer to bridge Laine than trade him, and then pay him what he is worth 2-3 years down the line. But if we were to trade him it can't be for a pending UFA and a couple 1sts. Ottawa doesn't even have their 2019 1st so it would be 2020 and 2021 picks which is way too far out for our compete now window. If it ever comes to trading Laine it needs to be for multiple good young players in positions of need, ideally already signed to good contracts.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
JETS. AREN'T. TRADING. LAINE.

Everyone needs to calm the hell down and think rationally. The kid is 20. What were you doing at 20?

Instead of throwing this kid on the curb and giving up, be patient. Not every development curve is the same. Look at Nathan MacKinnon's career thus far. Started hot, cooled a bit.. and now is torching the league.

The Jets would 100% regret trading him and would come back to haunt them.
Agree. No need to talk trading him but something needs to give here. Being in a slump is one thing but he's hurting the team out there. At the very least bust your ass on every shift. His effort level is non existent.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JETS. AREN'T. TRADING. LAINE.

Everyone needs to calm the hell down and think rationally. The kid is 20. What were you doing at 20?

Instead of throwing this kid on the curb and giving up, be patient. Not every development curve is the same. Look at Nathan MacKinnon's career thus far. Started hot, cooled a bit.. and now is torching the league.

The Jets would 100% regret trading him and would come back to haunt them.

I agree, but not for just the reason you state. Of course they have to see what the future holds for Laine, but also, the rest of the NHL sees what's going on, and if the Jets tried to trade him today, they would be doing so at Laine's lowest possible value. They would not get the return in him they would want.

But, Laine also has to be reasonable. Asking the Jets to sign him for 8 years at 10 or 11 million given the way he's played over the last 2 months with NO improvement on the horizon by the looks of it... the Jets would be insane to give Laine that kind of money.

Laine needs to accept what he currently looks like, a one trick pony that has lost his one trick, but someone with lots of potential still... and accept a bridge deal. You want the big pay day...then take the rest of this season to prove you still have it. And if you don't, suck it up and take the bridge.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd much prefer to bridge Laine than trade him, and then pay him what he is worth 2-3 years down the line. But if we were to trade him it can't be for a pending UFA and a couple 1sts. Ottawa doesn't even have their 2019 1st so it would be 2020 and 2021 picks which is way too far out for our compete now window. If it ever comes to trading Laine it needs to be for multiple good young players in positions of need, ideally already signed to good contracts.

And it would be in the summer, not at the deadline.

Reactions: KingBogo

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Trade Laine for an extended Stone. I'd much prefer Stone at 8 years x $9 million versus Laine at 8 years x 10-11 million.

Reactions: Jets88

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Agree here, it wouldn’t be just Stone but we could afford Trouba too and still have the extra assets we got for Laine. We are in a win mode now , can we really wait a few years for him to roll into form? When he does finally get there , great, we have a great player but we are not a contender anymore? I’m much happier cheering for the Jets to win the cup without Laine now opposed to cheering for Laine breaking records in a few years on a non contending team

Reactions: winnipeg jets fan

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
All this talk of trading Laine for a UFA coming back...

You do realize that you have to trade for the person before you can extend the person, right? Talking to Stone before you traded for him to see if he would sign long term in Winnipeg.... is called tampering. Something the NHL frowns upon. If the Jets want to even say hello to Stone, they need to trade for him first.

The Jets could very well end up with Laine going to Ottawa for a few months of Stone. No way Chevy takes the risk. You don't give up a guy with Laine's potential for the hope that you can sign his replacement.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
We can still contend fine with Laine on a bridge. I am not expecting his cold spell to extend for a few seasons lol.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
been pretty hard on laine since last year deservedly so but this talk of trading him is nonsense and ridiculous forget the fact chevy would never do it. he wont even give up on dano and petan and they are 24 and useless. laine will come out of his slump soon and get a nice long term contract in the summer or he will continue to struggle and get a bridge deal but the last franchise on earth that is giving up on a 20 year old and shipping him are the jets.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Every time I see him float, which is what he never did (a lot of) before this season, I always think how he says Ovechkin is his biggest idol. It's kind of funny as Ovi himself had a bit of that standing-waiting-for-passes, yet he got his act together and became one of the best all-round scorers in the league. Why doesn't Laine get some inspiration from that? He needs to ditch whatever his summer program is, and focus 100 % on skating and maybe slim down a bit (what Ovi did!) if his weight is the problem. Or if he is just being lazy, he needs to spend time with some sport psychiatrists and exorcise his demons.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I’m liking this idea more and more. Laine is still slumping and we still are winning, we don’t really need him to win, If we traded him for Stone and a couple firsts, we could take the money allocated to Laine, and sign Stone... immediate upgrade. We also have extra money to overpay Trouba and keep him. Heck, we could trade Trouba and one of our firsts we picked up and upgrade that spot too.... Options are endless. Let’s face reality, by the time Laine is ready to compete, a lot of our leaders will be too old and the Jets window to win may already be closed
Of course you dont.

Just like when schiefele went down last year for 6 weeks

Just like when Trouba held out.
Just like when Hellybuyck was ordinary.
Just like when little offense was nowhere to be seen good part last year.
Just like when perrault cant buy a goal for months
Just like when connor had 2 month scoring drought each of the last 2 years
Just like when buff went down
Just like when ehlers went down

Etc

Etc

Etc

Jets just keep on winning.

Maybe for once the coach try him with another center except for Little. I know he is not the root of the problem.

But for crying out load, why can the coach split these 2 just like the coach cant split wheeler and scheifele.
Play him with copp already. Geezzz
In the 4th line if schiefele is not possible.

Trade Laine to stone , ok just keep shortening Jets window shall we... Good thing Jets got a good GM who attacks for today and plan for the future.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'll be honest... I've kinda stayed away from this thread because of the concern that I'd have to wade through a lot of knee-jerk reactions, etc. So please have patience with me.

I have two thoughts about Laine's slumpity slump slumps:

1. I'm not convinced that a new number two centre is the answer. I think that Laine needs to find new ways to get open, and to create his own chances. It would appear that hockey sense is not high in his tool box at this juncture in his very young career.

2. Perhaps he should move in a little closer to the net to create scoring opportunities. His shot "used" to overpower goalies from a surprising distance away from the net. Now, it seems that every goalie as read the "Laine Report" before Jet games and his long shot no longer burns the goalies.

He'll find his way. He just needs to expand his tool box.

Reactions: KB1971

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
And we want to trade a 19 year old who was 5th in the Jets scoring in the playoff.

Behind
Schiefele
Wheeler
Stastny
Buff

In the pressure pack playoff?

In the playoff
Watch Jets power play crumble without Laine.
Watch Wheeler points drop significantly without his power play points..
Watch Schiefele never gets open in the slot.

Im use to this kind of debate.

Reminds of me when people keeps knocking down on Scheifele before.
Knocking down on Lowry.

Go Laine 15 goals to 40
Plus 19 more in the playoff!!!!

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'll be honest... I've kinda stayed away from this thread because of the concern that I'd have to wade through a lot of knee-jerk reactions, etc. So please have patience with me.

I have two thoughts about Laine's slumpity slump slumps:

1. I'm not convinced that a new number two centre is the answer. I think that Laine needs to find new ways to get open, and to create his own chances. It would appear that hockey sense is not high in his tool box at this juncture in his very young career.

2. Perhaps he should move in a little closer to the net to create scoring opportunities. His shot "used" to overpower goalies from a surprising distance away from the net. Now, it seems that every goalie as read the "Laine Report" before Jet games and his long shot no longer burns the goalies.

He'll find his way. He just needs to expand his tool box.

For #1

I think Jets is getting a number 2 center not to just benefit Laine.

But to make the team more stronger and more deeper to get them through 4 rounds.

It was tough enough with Stastny in fold last year.
Looks like it will be tougher this year.
With Flames and Sharks showing their strength.

It looks tougher coming out of the west.
Im not saying the Jets cant but more bullets is better.
Specially a bullet like 1C which you drop to 2C
Then our 2C like Little down to 3rd and 3C like Lowry to 4th.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
For #1

I think Jets is getting a number 2 center not to just benefit Laine.

But to make the team more stronger and more deeper to get them through 4 rounds.

It was tough enough with Stastny in fold last year.
Looks like it will be tougher this year.
With Flames and Sharks showing their strength.

It looks tougher coming out of the west.
Im not saying the Jets cant but more bullets is better.
Specially a bullet like 1C which you drop to 2C
Then our 2C like Little down to 3rd and 3C like Lowry to 4th.
I've got no problem if we land a Duchene or somebody to go behind Scheifele. I'd like to see a splash at the trade deadline. I just don't think that is the silver bullet to help Laine. He's got to do more to create his own chances; to find openings; to move in closer to the net.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Agree. No need to talk trading him but something needs to give here. Being in a slump is one thing but he's hurting the team out there. At the very least bust your ass on every shift. His effort level is non existent.

He is a very confident guy, I would assume he wouldnt take getting scratched very well and could give him a spark. At this point it cant hurt anymore then having him dress. The kids to talented for this kind of slump, so try shocking his system, could help.

Anyone saying trade him is insane. It would have to be for another highly gifted offensive player, and who is trading those? Laine is a Jet for life.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
He was getting hammered a alot in the boards and in front of the net last game. That's definitely affecting his mindset about driving to the net. I hope he realizes that he has to get stronger, faster and meaner to get that extra space in todays NHL.

He's still physically so raw, which I think many of us seem not to think about. There's a lot of work to be done to his legs and lower-body and that will help with his overall game. Naturally, it's also about his mental willingness but I'm sure it will get easier for him when he's not being pushed around all the time.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
I'm wondering if at this point it is worth to f*** up my sleep schedule just see how bad he looks out there :huh:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
At this point in time, we need to start questioning what specific development plan Maurice and the Jets have been using for Laine. He is the most important asset in Jets 2.0 history. The development plan is not working. He is a worse hockey player today than when he entered the league two years ago.

If the tools that the Jets are using to help him are going to be benchings and willy nilly in game utilization decisions about for example now you are off the power play, ok now its a very high risk situation so you are back on the powerplay, then I don't think it's going to be effective to help him get out of his slump. Even his one trick of standing in Ovi's spot and firing pucks that are spoon fed to him is failing him as he keeps blasting it often high and wide.

Maybe it is all on Laine for him to go figure it out on his own, stay out and take extra shots at practice and go pick up all the pucks and put them in the bucket and come back to the locker room alone. But that doesn't seem like the kind of approach that an organization that likes to pride itself as a draft and develop organization should be proud of.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
At this point in time, we need to start questioning what specific development plan Maurice and the Jets have been using for Laine. He is the most important asset in Jets 2.0 history. The development plan is not working. He is a worse hockey player today than when he entered the league two years ago.

If the tools that the Jets are using to help him are going to be benchings and willy nilly in game utilization decisions about for example now you are off the power play, ok now its a very high risk situation so you are back on the powerplay, then I don't think it's going to be effective to help him get out of his slump. Even his one trick of standing in Ovi's spot and firing pucks that are spoon fed to him is failing him as he keeps blasting it often high and wide.

Maybe it is all on Laine for him to go figure it out on his own, stay out and take extra shots at practice and go pick up all the pucks and put them in the bucket and come back to the locker room alone. But that doesn't seem like the kind of approach that an organization that likes to pride itself as a draft and develop organization should be proud of.

Until I see Laine struggle with a center who doesnt tank everyone he plays with offensively I reserve judgement.

I remember Maurice saying early this year they want Laine to handle the puck more and use his body like Jagr to protect it. Seems to be working like a charm pomo! We should ask him to pass like Gretzky's fight like Domi and then hit like Steven's next.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
All this talk of trading Laine for a UFA coming back...

You do realize that you have to trade for the person before you can extend the person, right? Talking to Stone before you traded for him to see if he would sign long term in Winnipeg.... is called tampering. Something the NHL frowns upon. If the Jets want to even say hello to Stone, they need to trade for him first.

The Jets could very well end up with Laine going to Ottawa for a few months of Stone. No way Chevy takes the risk. You don't give up a guy with Laine's potential for the hope that you can sign his replacement.

Agreed. The whole idea of using a player like Laine to trade for a UFA (even if we did ask for permission to talk and extend) is just incredibly idiotic to begin with anyway. If Stone was open in the slightest to sign with Winnipeg, the Jets wouldn't trade Laine to get him. Either acquire him for the standard rental price and work right away to sign him, or sign him in the summer for no assets. Both of those options make more sense than using Laine. Has any GM ever been so stupid to trade a player as young and talented as Laine for a UFA?

Reactions: cbcwpg

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah great goal scorers like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Stamkos, Iginla all wen through slumps in their prime but they all contributed in other areas and fought through it. If Laine can't shake it he could end up being a huge burden on our team with a big contract.

I understand your point but did any of the above have teams give up on them at 20 years old?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
i don't think defense matters one ****ing bit for a player like laine

or mcdavid or matthews or crosby or _______ <----- insert superstar forward here

I think at some point, Maurice tells Laine to go back to the offense-first style that he used to play and just put him on a line with good defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad