Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Who has said Laine need 1st center? Just remove him from Little line, they wont generate anything together and it's been like this over two years. How can not management see that is beyond me.
The post I was quoting? Lol

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I'd agree that his instincts and ability to think are top shelf - very difficult to fault this area of his game.
But I also think his body is unable to keep up with what his head is processing.
That might be one of the factors delaying his progression to the first line.

Maybe keep up with Little before you move him up with Scheif and Wheels - and I'm not talking about outright speed - I'm referring to the pace of the game that Wheels - Scheif - Connor / Ehlers play.

This isn't a shot at Laine - it's a valid point. He's need to work harder on the fundamentals of this game - no better place to do that than with a guy like Little who can take a little pressure off the mistakes.

Nobody within the Jets org appears to be pressuring Laine to fill the net at this point - it's looks like the are leaving him where he is to learn, patiently.
Good approach IMO.

A complete waste of talent in my opinion. Yes he is far from physical prime but can already score better than anyone when put in a position to succeed. Jets are avoiding to put him to a position to succeed at any cost now. They have seen what happens whdn he is paired with someone he has chemistry with. It's never been about "keeping up", he more than kept up in the 1st and with Stastny. The keeping up argument is made up and has no bearing in reality.

We can either extract the production from him while he grows physically, or we can bury him with players he can't succeed with and beat him with sticks and wonder why he isn't producing. And then eventually wonder why he won't sign a long extension.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
A complete waste of talent in my opinion. Yes he is far from physical prime but can already score better than anyone when put in a position to succeed. Jets are avoiding to put him to a position to succeed at any cost now. They have seen what happens whdn he is paired with someone he has chemistry with. It's never been about "keeping up", he more than kept up in the 1st and with Stastny. The keeping up argument is made up and has no bearing in reality.

We can either extract the production from him while he grows physically, or we can bury him with players he can't succeed with and beat him with sticks and wonder why he isn't producing. And then eventually wonder why he won't sign a long extension.

As long as he displays what appears to be a lack of effort or the ability to engage in the play, he will not play on the 1st line - I'm really surprised this is even being debated.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
As long as he displays what appears to be a lack of effort or the ability to engage in the play, he will not play on the 1st line - I'm really surprised this is even being debated.

When he auditioned for that part, he blew competition out of the water. He earned his spot clearly. But they rewarded it with dropping him down and keeping him under wraps.

How in your world does one earn a job if being the best at it doesn't? How did Wheeler earn it with a worse showing? Or Ehlers or Connor? None of them produce near Laine in that spot. So Laine has earned it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Okay, but gold-plated first-liners Wheeler and Scheifele, and sometime first-liners Ehlers and Connor have been criticized for this exact thing, last season and this one, and will be again I'm sure. I agree that Laine has looked bad-to-brutal at times this year and I'm not sure what to make of it, but I also think he's a very cerebral player who is still trying to work out his game. I think playing him with Copp and/or MP might be worth a shot, because I think it's hard to play with MP and not get involved, and while Copp isn't a great finisher his skating, positioning and IQ are so good that Laine can blow a play and not give up a goal doing it. We are a duller, leakier, less creative team this year by my eye-test and those of quite a few of my hockey-watching friends. We're winning, but we're rarely inspiring like last year, IMO. A Laine at the top of his game is a difference-maker who buys a ton of freedom for his teammates and helps elevate the team. I think this a problem that needs to be solved.

And I'm not that fussed about the 1st-line/2nd-line thing, although Laine may be. I don't think it matters much how hard he plays or how many board battles he wins or how much he "plays the right way" -- he will not dislodge Wheeler from the right and is unlikely to shift Connor/Ehlers from the left. As long as Wheeler can eat 24+ mins per game, and 55 prefers to play with him, Laine is a 2nd-line player for the Jets, IMO, even if he's our best player (which he often has been). And to PoMo's credit, I think he's perfectly happy to see Laine score a ton of goals and set up a bunch more while losing the odd board battle. But there is a pressing need for that 2nd line to produce, right now and for sure in the playoffs.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

It really does seem like Laine only wants to sit off to the side and be set up for goals nonstop without putting in the work.

He needs to get that shit out of his head and become a two way player that contributes to his team consistently.

Reactions: Loto68

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Because you will sacrifice someone else's production to boost Laine's. Like wheelers. So at the end of the day what does it matter?

The jets only have one Scheifele. He can't help everyone.

Although wheeler could probably survive a lot better without Scheifele than Laine has
So if the jets were to try it for a few games to try and give Laine a boost. Ok.
But the jets are winning and one of the best teams in the league. So doing it to boost Laine's stats is a stupid reason.
If the jets were losing that's a different story.

The first line has been struggling for a long time, and it has been pretty average. ES scoring is not at the level where it should be. It is not the reason why the team has been winning so much.

I have one question for you – if Chef boosts Laine's production, doesn't it also mean that Laine boosts Chef's production? They were scoring like crazy back in the day before Chef and Wheeler got married.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

He should just pull a Trouba if he doesn't get a fair shot at the 1st line this season. Laine and his agent will probably think long and hard about signing a long extension…a bridge deal would be the correct way to go forward.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I wonder if Laine has been dealing with some minor injury as of late, as he didn’t participate in the hardest shot competition in the Jets skill contest, and his shots haven’t looked so good until this game.

Does anyone know why he didn’t shoot in the skill competition?

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I wonder if Laine has been dealing with some minor injury as of late, as he didn’t participate in the hardest shot competition in the Jets skill contest, and his shots haven’t looked so good until this game.

Does anyone know why he didn’t shoot in the skill competition?

I found that very curious too. Not something he would normally skip.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You just can't with some.

I don't understand why the agent is just talking about the goals, if Laine had the effort in his game he wouldn't be getting the comments he now is, playing with top6 guys constantly and stars with #1pp can't make him lose his will to play hockey.

When he auditioned for that part, he blew competition out of the water. He earned his spot clearly. But they rewarded it with dropping him down and keeping him under wraps.

How in your world does one earn a job if being the best at it doesn't? How did Wheeler earn it with a worse showing? Or Ehlers or Connor? None of them produce near Laine in that spot. So Laine has earned it.

Still living in the past?

It's so clear you are a Laine fan and not a Jets fan.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I really don’t understand how some people argue he should be traded. When you look at the goal records he’s hitting, and the company he has... franchises dream of having a player who scores at a rate like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Hawerchuk, Carson, Gretzky, et al.

In a game that’s all about scoring...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
There was a time when the Jets team cant produce a 25 goal scorer in a full year!

Now halfway through the year. We already this guy having that many goals.

Wuhuuu....

If Laine ever scores 25 goals in a year.

That would be a real slump for him.

Scoring is very hard in the league.

Not many can score 25 in a full year.
Those that scores 25 once or twice , thats their career years!!!!

We are lucky to get Laine on that draft day.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How is that an argument against the points some of us have brought up? Past?

And how are those two things mutually exclusive?

If he's effort is garbage, and his game looks garbage 5on5 what he did as a rookie doesn't mean much, and doesn't mean he has earned the 1st line spot today.

You know what's different with the Jets now than few years ago?
They are trying to be real contenders, no coach wants a guy who gets abused at ES on the 1st line matching up against the best.

Reactions: Loto68

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They are trying to be real contenders, no coach wants a guy who gets abused at ES on the 1st line matching up against the best.

Exactly.

It's totally different circumstances. I bet if Laine played on Detroit for example, a team that gets a lot of B efforts by their opponents, he would play on the top line with Larkin and look decent when the opposing teams fall asleep every now and then.

It's just a different game when teams use you as a measuring stick. Laine isn't ready for that responsibility. Jets need a top line that's hard to play against.

Reactions: Loto68 and Maukkis

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
In order to win the cup.

Jets will need 2 monster line to beat the other power houses.

Laine has all the potential in the world to be that guy.

He just need some love ;)

Kids today, dont spank them.
Hug them... you get better result specially with how i see Laine progress with his mental game.

All the tools and the tool box is there.
He just need to forget the pressure and play like he owns it!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Exactly.

It's totally different circumstances. I bet if Laine played on Detroit for example, a team that gets a lot of B efforts by their opponents, he would play on the top line with Larkin and look decent when the opposing teams fall asleep every now and then.

It's just a different game when teams use you as a measuring stick. Laine isn't ready for that responsibility. Jets need a top line that's hard to play against.

Yep, and feels like some fans would prefer Laine playing on a team like Detroit, just to see him on the 1st line no matter the team results.

Patrik Laine tykitti komean maalin juhlapelissään ja nousi kivikovaan kastiin - Jets silti hakemassa apua suomalaistähdelleen

According to sources from Winnipeg, Jets are looking for a playmaking center for Laine as it has been obvious by now Little is not the one. Quoted from the news article.

It says Center/forward to play with Laine.

That's not a compliment for Laine, just the opposite.
Laine with the hype he has received in the past should be able to drive a 2nd line with Ehlers/Connor/Little types, and not force the Jets to spent very valuable assets to them year after year to get him going.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yep, and feels like some fans would prefer Laine playing on a team like Detroit, just to see him on the 1st line no matter the team results.

It says Center/forward to play with Laine.

That's not a compliment for Laine, just the opposite.
Laine with the hype he has received in the past should be able to drive a 2nd line with Ehlers/Connor/Little types, and not force the Jets to spent very valuable assets to them year after year to get him going.

How many teenager under 21 forward drives a line at that age. Besides a few elite centers?

I dont think its a knack on Laine as he was able to produce astronomical numbers with different centers even with Copp.

Anyways love Laine and little both. Jets need them both.

They are just not made for each other :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad