Patrik Laine Part III: More Hats, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
It has nothing to do with head trauma. The head contact was incidental, and **** happens. McCabe was going in for an open ice hit and Laine lifted his head at the last second and got the full brunt of it.

I don't see how you're going to remove hits like this from the game without removing hitting altogether. It's not like headbutting is a chronic problem in this league.

In another thread there were two other examples of McCabe leading with his own head.

Maybe it's not an epidemic league-wide, but it looks like it might be with this knucklehead.

Laine posted a photo on Instagram from the zoo - well enough to go hang out with the tiger, but needs to wear sunglasses? https://www.instagram.com/p/BPDwZxfDe1H/

Uh, oh.

Winnipeggers don't like it when star athletes spend too much time at the zoo.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Has this been posted yet? Couldn't find it but surely someone has posted it somewhere.

Edit: I wonder if one of those steps are "Go to zoo and pose for picture with tiger". ?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I didn't say he did this on purpose. But he did headbutt Liane. Shouldn't matter if it was intentional or not.

That is the key here. It doesn't matter if a player accidentally gets his elbow into another players face. It should matter if a player accidentally head butts another. A fine and a suspension might make them adjust how they hit the next time rather than doing it again.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Edit: I wonder if one of those steps are "Go to zoo and pose for picture with tiger". ?

I believe the 2nd step to any concussion is light activity like walking. A zoo trip could accomplish that. You also should probably wear sunglasses outside especially in winter where the sunlight reflects of the snow straining the eyes more.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I believe the 2nd step to any concussion is light activity like walking. A zoo trip could accomplish that. You also should probably wear sunglasses outside especially in winter where the sunlight reflects of the snow straining the eyes more.

Yeah I'm not looking into the sunglasses too much as even I'd wear sunglasses if outside for a few hours in the snow. Fingers crossed he was lucky and it wasn't that bad.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Has this been posted yet? Couldn't find it but surely someone has posted it somewhere.

Step 1: No activity, only complete mental and physical rest. Proceed to step 2 only when all symptoms are gone. This includes avoiding both mental and physical stress.

Step 2: Light aerobic exercise, such as walking or stationary cycling. Monitor for symptoms and signs. No resistance training or weight lifting.

Step 3: Sport specific activities and training (e.g. skating).

Step 4: Drills without body contact. May add light resistance training and progress to heavier weights. The time needed to progress from non-contact to contact exercise will vary with the severity of the concussion and the player.

Only go to step 5 after medical clearance. (Reassessment and note)
Step 5: Begin drills with body contact.

Step 6: Game play. (The earliest a concussed athlete should return to play is one week).

Note: Players should proceed through return to play steps only when they do not experience symptoms or signs and the physician has given clearance. Each step should be a minimum of one day. If symptoms or signs return, the player should return to step 1, and be re-evaluated by a physician.

This is all from here
http://www.hockeyeasternontario.ca/docs/HEO_6_Step_Concussion_Return_to_Play_Protocol.pdf

Looks like he's on step 2, should everything go well I'd assume he takes a light skate tomorrow before or after the scheduled practice :popcorn:

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Interesting how concussion protocol schedule is just perfect for the NFL schedule (i.e. game every 7 days).

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
I also had a concussion when playing football(not soccer) as a 17 or 18 years old.
I didn't passout from the impact (it was head to head hit with a crappy helmet) but i saw everything in green color for a few seconds. As i started to walk back to the sideline, my shortmemory was completely gone. Didn't even remember where i was and why. It lasted a couple of minutes, then the memory started to comeback. I throwedup maybe an hour after the hit and had a pretty severe headache on the next day. Within a week i made a full recovery and started to practice again.

I know these things are always individualistic, but i'm pretty optimistic that Laine makes complete recovery in matter of two weeks.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
So my favorite lasted half a season in the nhl... I hope its not a concussion because that is most likely automatic brain damage :/ his untapped potential may have changed. Dont get me wrong he will still be amazing and awesome but after trauma like that we'll never know how he would be undamaged. Permanent damage is pretty much guaranteed from concussions (perhaps only big one? I dont know)...meh im sorry im being a downer this is just really demoralizing. I hope its a best case scenario concussion if there ever was one... Seeeing your favorite getting knocked out like that sucks. I feel lile some ufc fan or something haha. W.Nylander had a concussion in wjc and he seems ok so hopefully im very very wrong.

I probably sound like a moron but does nhl have a history with top talents having long term injuries/permanent damage?

NHL in my opinion is too small to risk their main draw, top talents.
Atleast its not stamkos level disaster, man that guy must have been unlucky, saw some awesome highlights byhim and wanted to see him play...nope turns out he is injured again. It seem to be a rare thing to get to see him play.. Noone will ever see that (and probably many mores) guys potential.
Now i dont have any answers to avoid that so not gonna come in here and try to change the league or anything but atleast fans of players like me may last as long as the players.

Ah rant over, i may lurk here and there but without Laine the calder just got boring. The leafs trio is awesome and they may keep me in but as of right now i doubt it. i may come back when laine does. This is one aspect people will underrate Laine forever jets fans. He brought in an large ammount of people with him into the league and has an large following which is invaluable. And yes there is a chance that this is me overreacting, its just a shock that a young players career could be stopped this early. Also shoutout to Hfboards, alot of great people here, seeing above the sports when needed and smart people here too, cheers. Football (soccer) just got fun again.

Last edited:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
That is the key here. It doesn't matter if a player accidentally gets his elbow into another players face. It should matter if a player accidentally head butts another. A fine and a suspension might make them adjust how they hit the next time rather than doing it again.

Kind of agree, similar to errant stick. McCabe has used his head a few times before to knock guys out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeblqxNrcWk&t=70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IQpq73TN8

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Step 1: No activity, only complete mental and physical rest. Proceed to step 2 only when all symptoms are gone. This includes avoiding both mental and physical stress.

Step 2: Light aerobic exercise, such as walking or stationary cycling. Monitor for symptoms and signs. No resistance training or weight lifting.

Step 3: Sport specific activities and training (e.g. skating).

Step 4: Drills without body contact. May add light resistance training and progress to heavier weights. The time needed to progress from non-contact to contact exercise will vary with the severity of the concussion and the player.

Only go to step 5 after medical clearance. (Reassessment and note)
Step 5: Begin drills with body contact.

Step 6: Game play. (The earliest a concussed athlete should return to play is one week).

Note: Players should proceed through return to play steps only when they do not experience symptoms or signs and the physician has given clearance. Each step should be a minimum of one day. If symptoms or signs return, the player should return to step 1, and be re-evaluated by a physician.

This is all from here
http://www.hockeyeasternontario.ca/docs/HEO_6_Step_Concussion_Return_to_Play_Protocol.pdf

Looks like he's on step 2, should everything go well I'd assume he takes a light skate tomorrow before or after the scheduled practice :popcorn:

He's on step 1. No steps start until you're symptom free. He will be out for a while, you definitely don't want to rush him back. That would be the worst.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
He's on step 1. No steps start until you're symptom free. He will be out for a while, you definitely don't want to rush him back. That would be the worst.

He was at Thermea today and also strolling around at the zoo.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
So my favorite lasted half a season in the nhl... I hope its not a concussion because that is most likely automatic brain damage :/ his untapped potential may have changed.

Apparently Crosby had a concussion that went undiagnosed - as a result he played again a day or two later and suffered another concussion. He had to miss almost a whole season (worth of games) I think for it.

It seems everyone is different, but seeing Crosby dominate everything the last year I think its safe to say that its possible, maybe even likely, Laine will return to full form as well.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
So my favorite lasted half a season in the nhl... I hope its not a concussion because that is most likely automatic brain damage :/ his untapped potential may have changed. Dont get me wrong he will still be amazing and awesome but after trauma like that we'll never know how he would be undamaged. Permanent damage is pretty much guaranteed from concussions (perhaps only big one? I dont know)...meh im sorry im being a downer this is just really demoralizing. I hope its a best case scenario concussion if there ever was one... Seeeing your favorite getting knocked out like that sucks. I feel lile some ufc fan or something haha. W.Nylander had a concussion in wjc and he seems ok so hopefully im very very wrong.

It is a concussion and it is a brain injury. Concussion is just a common word for brain injury. In most cases no white matter is destroyed and no permanent damage is done.

Here is some basic info for you to ease your mind.
http://www.aivovammaliitto.fi/aivovammat/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hoping for the best with Laine. As many others have mentioned, recovery is highly variable, but in most instances it is expected that recovery will proceed well. I was concussed from a blind-side hockey hit, and experienced no noticeable symptoms within a few days. A woman I know had seemingly minor and indirect trauma, but had months of symptoms. It's a very unpredictable type of injury.

On second thought, my HFB posts might be longer term signs of undiagnosed post-concussion syndrome.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Laine returns within a couple of weeks, he can trounce Matthews in the Calder competition by out-scoring him despite missing some games...

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Apparently Crosby had a concussion that went undiagnosed - as a result he played again a day or two later and suffered another concussion. He had to miss almost a whole season (worth of games) I think for it.

It seems everyone is different, but seeing Crosby dominate everything the last year I think its safe to say that its possible, maybe even likely, Laine will return to full form as well.

Heard about players playing despite concussion. And sure its individual as it is with everything. Crosby could have been an one in a million in that scenario, he may even have improved because of it (doubt it tho but anythings possible). My money would be on him being even better if that had not happend. A guy like that can lose alot performance and still dominate his peers. Now i dont even know if there is any ground that concussion lowers an athletes performance that is just me assuming that. My reasoning is that damage to the brain can affect coordination, reactions etc etc

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Crosby was also concussed this season. Lost a couple games at the start of the season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sidney-crosby-of-penguins-diagnosed-with-concussion/c-282530964

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
If Laine returns within a couple of weeks, he can trounce Matthews in the Calder competition by out-scoring him despite missing some games...

I was toying with that notion too but i dont even care about that anymore all that matters is a laine with no permanent damage. Even if he finishes with no more points this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad