Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really?

Funny because Ladd was more than willing to sign an extension later that season, yet we were told that Chevy never made him another offer after his first was declined.

Guess Chevy did get his way in the end

And as for Kane, when did his wanting out of this organization ever relate to linemates?

He didn’t like the city, and had the team stuck in Atlanta, he probably would still be playing on it with the same lineup
Yup. I think there is a lot of conjecture, but a few things to consider:

1) The timing of the reported 6 x $6M contract offer is not known. It was reported in the media that it was "sometime in the past year", which means it could well have been prior to his surgery and recovery from his surgery. It's quite likely that they didn't revisit that offer after the severity of his injury became better known.

2) The Jets were reportedly pretty lukewarm in their contract negotiations during the 2015 season. As Ladd is quoted as saying he hadn't had a "strong conversation" with Chevy, and that there has been a "weird vibe".

3) As you note above, the Jets essentially stopped discussing any contract after December, and were clearly working on a trade.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If you truly think that, then you would want to spread out your scoring to improve your 2nd line & team by making it harder to check vs only one line. I mean if he’s truly that good then he can drive an entire line by himself. Right?

The goal is the maximize the team’s chances at winning.....not individual players stats. Clearly there is a difference of opinion how to achieve that between certain fans and the NHL coaching staff. I’m fine having him on the top line, if it helps the team the most.....just seen no evidence of that to-date and clearly the coaching staff hasn’t either.

PS being 2nd or 3rd best on a team that’s not great 5vs5 isn’t a great claim.

They were an above average to great 5 on 5 team the first two years here. Last year not so much.

Reactions: Psych0dad

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Paul Bisonette from the Coyote's just got asked on Tim & Sid on Sportsnet about Laine sitting out...

Bis' called him "a dog of a player" and "should prove he should earn "Crosby" money"...

Further to Bisonette mentioning Crosby versus Laine, he went on to say "guys like Crosby don't need the best players with him, he makes other players better"...

Bisonette went on to say "the Jets should just trade him for picks if that's the way it is"...

giphy.gif

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Paul Bisonette from the Coyote's just got asked on Tim & Sid on TSN about Laine sitting out...

Bis' called him "a dog of a player" and should prove he should earn "Crosby" money...

Further to Bisonette mentioning Crosby versus Laine, he went on to say "guys like Crosby don't need the best players with him, he makes other players better"...

Bisonette went on to say "the Jets should just trade him for picks if that's the way it is"...

giphy.gif

Too many shots to the head Bis.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The Jets have enough scoring talent to spread out over 3 lines, but Maurice comes from the Top 6/Bottom 6 school of lineup architecture.

Yes & no, he has tried “top 6” guys on the bottom 6 at times as experiments.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Laine not a team player. Its always someone else's fault. Maybe if he could hit the broad side of a planet with his shot who he played with wouldn't be such a big deal.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Could he have been used better ? Yes. Did his play warrant promotion to the first line ? No. Did he force his way up the line up ? NO. Most other players would have been press boxed with his level of play at times last year. Po mo made a trip this off season just to talk to him and settle things. So now he does an interview that according to many Fins is in a bit of a tabloid and with a reporter who has a poor reputation.Someone it that kids camp needed to tell him this is not the way to negotiate. I know how I would deal with it .I'd get Connor signed and let him sit and stew for a while. That's why I'm not a GM.

Most players with 30 goals would have been press boxed...?
Really ?? Did we ever did press box Thornburn with 2 goals.
Laine could score 30 in his sleep.
I think playing with Little may just do that.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Laine was pretty **** last year and he couldn't even work hard at his game when things weren't going well for him. I don't know why it is such a problem when you don't reward that type of behaviour.

It is why Wheeler came out in an interview earlier and said that younger players are vastly different then he was when he came into the league. Yes they have a sense of entitlement and that entitlement means that when things do not go their way they expect to be coddled so that someone else can get them out of that funk.

Essentially you have a guy who was in a funk like he has never experienced before being told to just forget about producing and work harder at other aspects of your game and that was so foreign to him he reacted in a very negative way. He still doesn't get that he did anything wrong.

Now you have people scoff at the idea that if you work hard you get rewarded defending him and making excuses for his sulking attitude and his reaction to his teammates negative attitude toward him.

Completely agree, Kane had the same attitude and demanded to be put on the top line also.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Where does everyone keep getting the narrative that he doesn't believe he did anything wrong? That same article talks about how upset he was with his own play and how much he's worked at it this summer.

People are choosing which parts of the thing to focus on and not the whole thing were he takes personal accountability along side wanting a bigger role.

Here's the thing though, you get a bigger role after you take accountability & work hard & improve in those areas where he's weak.......not before.

If your kid doesn't do his homework or study and gets an F on his exam, do you argue with the teacher he should get an A on that exam b/c in the "future" he'll study more & work harder in class. No of course not, your kid needs to study more & work harder in class which no doubt likely will lead to a better mark then an F on the next exam. This is especially important working off a three year ELC where you're expecting/wanting to get an long term deal at huge dollars. If Laine wanted 5 million per year, I would be far less harsh on his demands/expectations........but this is a kid wanting a huge deal which he hasn't earned yet.

I would be telling Laine, take a bridge and show me you can do what you think.......you've gotten lots of chances on the top line in the past and you'll get more over the bridge. Grab that oppurtunity and don't let it slip by........then you will be a very rich man.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Wow at the hot takes here.

Now Laine is Evander Kane and is an entitled asshole that doesn’t deserve to be on the team.

All based on something that someone probably misrepresented.

So much for hoping the best for our players huh?

Reactions: thegr8one66

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's the thing though, you get a bigger role after you take accountability & work hard & improve in those areas where he's weak.......not before.

If your kid doesn't do his homework or study and gets an F on his exam, do you argue with the teacher he should get an A on that exam b/c in the "future" he'll study more & work harder in class. No of course not, your kid needs to study more & work harder in class which no doubt likely will lead to a better mark then an F on the next exam. This is especially important working off a three year ELC where you're expecting/wanting to get an long term deal at huge dollars. If Laine wanted 5 million per year, I would be far less harsh on his demands/expectations........but this is a kid wanting a huge deal which he hasn't earned yet.

I would be telling Laine, take a bridge and show me you can do what you think.......you've gotten lots of chances on the top line in the past and you'll get more over the bridge. Grab that oppurtunity and don't let it slip by........then you will be a very rich man.

You have been out of the school circuit for a while I take it because that is exactly what a good many parents are doing these days. Its very different from when I was in school and the parents would side with the teacher and force their kids to improve.

Also I think your analogy is flawed it would be more along the lines of a kid is a B plus average student the first two years but one subject is a D and gets denied advanced placement classes while a C plus level student who maybe is a C- in that same class gets in (Connor).

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

What exactly is the reason to believe the team is not doing F work, if teachers just isn't capable to teach you essential things you need to improve in your position. Thats possible too, no? If you all the time made A but your teacher was too stupid or stubborn to see that.

Facts says what exactly?

Who says he cares money, he just said he feels he would get top minutes in other team.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
My opinion was to sign laine long term and it still is. If we bridge him and he plays with little and never gets first line minutes he will bline it through arbitration and leave like trouba.

I do see the reasons for a bridge though. I hope his attitude isnt as bad as some posters are making it to be

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
My opinion was to sign laine long term and it still is. If we bridge him and he plays with little and never gets first line minutes he will bline it through arbitration and leave like trouba.

I do see the reasons for a bridge though. I hope his attitude isnt as bad as some posters are making it to be
There is no reason to think that.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I personally believe Laine is a B+ player with upside. Deserves 7.5 Mill’ over next 5 years....

Having said that...

If he wants pseudo “Crosby” money ?...

Improve to 200 foot player status and have the ability to drive your line (whoever it is with him)...

I don’t ask much else...

And I’m no Chevy...

Reactions: LowLefty

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What exactly is the reason to believe the team is not doing F work, if teachers just isn't capable to teach you essential things you need to improve in your position. Thats possible too, no? If you all the time made A but your teacher was too stupid or stubborn to see that.

Facts says what exactly?

Who says he cares money, he just said he feels he would get top minutes in other team.

Laine has never been an A student........never. He's excelled within a very limited scope with very limited players within very situational basis. Basically to-date he's a very limited player with massive holes in his game that need significant improvement......

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It is earned (I agree with you partly) and fit/need of the team......not for the sole purpose of padding a single players stats. Sorry zero empathy for Laine, he wants to play on the top line (5vs5) to pad his stats b/c he clearly doesn’t add value in all three zones. I would play the guy who helps the team the most if I was the coach.....the purpose of the game is to score one more goal then the other team. So throw Laine on PP where he excels and then shelter him with usage & defensively the rest of the time until he can play better two way hockey. Sorry no interest is rewarding self entitled guys who throw team mates and coaches under the bus. Kane 2.0 starting to look like exactly.

Have to say it really hasn't looked like it with Winnipeg/Maurice.

Paul Bisonette from the Coyote's just got asked on Tim & Sid on Sportsnet about Laine sitting out...

Bis' called him "a dog of a player" and "should prove he should earn "Crosby" money"...

giphy.gif

If Laine was Crosby we'd be talking McDavid money.
We aren't.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Laine has never been an A student........never. He's excelled within a very limited scope with very limited players within very situational basis. Basically to-date he's a very limited player with massive holes in his game that need significant improvement......

Honestly.. Who are u to pretend? Seriously i cant take a 4th line plug like Bissonettes opinion seriously how can i take a never was 4th line plugs opinion seriously?

Reactions: Psych0dad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad