Patrik Laine over/under 55 goals

Laine over or under 55 goals this season?

• Over 55 goals

• Under 55 goals

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Oh please.. What has he done to deserve such a crown??

Eh? Scored more goals than anyone else since entering the league? Well, last night OV got one more, but anyways, he's just one behind the scoring king with less games played and much less ice time.. I don't know what else you guys want?? He obviously wasn't able to score NHL goals before entering the league if that is the problem :huh:. All this in his rookie and sophomore years while being teenager..

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Definitely under. Have people learned nothing from his season so far? He's not a consistent guy, not yet at least.

He's got what 3 hattricks, one of them being a legendary 5 goal game?

5+3+3. That's 11 of his 19 goals in 3 games and 8 goals in the other 19 games which is a 34 goal pace. Sprinkle in a few more hot games and you've got another 10-15 or so goals?

I'd say he finishes around ~45-50 goals which IMO should be more than enough to win the Rocket.

Laine (and Ovechkin) scored in 37 games last season... No one scored in more games.

Reactions: Zamuz and Plural

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
holy people

I understand he's on a hot streak, but you're asking him to do what no one since Stamkos has done, hit at least 55 goals, let alone 50, which only OV has been able to do since 2012, 2012!

the recency bias on this site is insane
The guy put up 36g in his rookie season (would have probably got 40 if not for injury), 44 last season and has 19 goals 1/3 of the season in........

He has f***ing 99 goals in 177 NHL games...
I don't think any of this is recency bios..

Llauma

Aug 25, 2016
Laine is the third player in NHL history to score at least 11 goals in a seven-day span, joining Gretzky in February 1984 and Mario Lemieux in March 1993.
Laine could still improve his game in so many ways but when it comes to scoring he has a very special toolbox. If there's one player in the league who is likely to score 55 goals then it's Laine.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
upload_2019-4-5_14-19-19.gif

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
The dozens of posts about how playing with Little was screwing his production aged like milk.

He played with Scheifele for about 15 games late this year and had 1 goal and 5 points at even strength in that span, with the Wheeler/Scheifele line's corsi dropping from 50 to 44%.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Finnish hype machine strikes again

I think Laine's dad even posts around here, where'd he go?

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Prior to the season, I had laine pegged for 35 goals (assuming he stayed healthy and assuming he played at least 15 games riding shotgun to Scheifele). Laine did both those things. Problem was, and as I said, if laine gets to play with Scheifele, his point and goal totals will go down(they did) due to Scheifele needing to play defence for 2 players (himself and laine). Scheifele is a great defensive player and was basically able to cover for laine while laine floated (everyone remembers the now famous “YOU GOTTA MOVE” thrashing he took from Byfuglien). Laine isn’t even a top 100 point scorer this season. That’s putrid and it’s nice to see even “The Finnish Five + TWS” are coming around and hopping off the ridiculous laine hype, so props to them for coming back to reality where laine has a great shot and not much else (as they now admit)

Edit: I obviously thought laines early hot streak would help carry him to 35 goals. I still think 30 goals is very respectable for a player of laine caliber

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Prior to the season, I had laine pegged for 35 goals (assuming he stayed healthy and assuming he played at least 15 games riding shotgun to Scheifele). Laine did both those things. Problem was, and as I said, if laine gets to play with Scheifele, his point and goal totals will go down(they did) due to Scheifele needing to play defence for 2 players (himself and laine). Scheifele is a great defensive player and was basically able to cover for laine while laine floated (everyone remembers the now famous “YOU GOTTA MOVE” thrashing he took from Byfuglien). Laine isn’t even a top 100 point scorer this season. That’s putrid and it’s nice to see even “The Finnish Five + TWS” are coming around and hopping off the ridiculous laine hype, so props to them for coming back to reality where laine has a great shot and not much else (as they now admit)

IIRC you were warning them to temper their expectations with Laine or they were going to look absolutely ridiculous.

They probably should have listened :laugh: Their absence from Laine threads nowadays says it all.

Edit: It is 100% not the fault of Jets fans for the overhyping of Laine - they were very honest about Laine's potential / play. It was the Finnish 5 and some guy who used to have a comic book avatar (they aren't even Jets fans) who were responsible for the absurd overhyping of Laine.

Last edited:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
As I predicted, Laine is cooling down. In my pre-season assement I stated that he would score rougly 20 goals in total. I do indeed admit I was wrong; however, if we discount his lucky streak, his goal scoring pace for the rest of the season is even below my expectations, pacing in at 17 goals/season over the stretch of 72 games. So I think we can discard all of this "generational goalscorer" nonsense

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At some point, maybe certain fans of Laine should stop predicting 60 and 70 goal seasons for him until he at least can hit 50 one time first.

It's becoming a HF meme at this point.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The upside is he still has tons of potential and Winnipeg likely gets to lock him up on a very good contract. Toronto has Marner at 15th and Matthews at 22nd for PTS/GP coming off their ELC and it is going to cost them huge. Obviously happy to have them perform so well but Laine's off season may be a blessing in disguise for Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad