Patrik Laine over/under 55 goals

Laine over or under 55 goals this season?

• Over 55 goals

• Under 55 goals

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I will be happy with 50 goals :)

He is playing more now ...
If it keeps up (ice time) he has a good chance.

Knowing Maurice 1 bad period of Laine he will cut his ice time ;)

45 to 55 i think where he will end up.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I voted over 55.. Last year he had 11 goals after 22 games, this year 19. Last year he ended with 44, so at least it should be possible. He has had already a slump and a hot streak (continuing..?) this year, so simply math from 1/4 season with, say, 18 goals to factor out the 5 goal oddity, gives you 72, and 72 > 55. :confused: :laugh:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
holy people

I understand he's on a hot streak, but you're asking him to do what no one since Stamkos has done, hit at least 55 goals, let alone 50, which only OV has been able to do since 2012, 2012!

the recency bias on this site is insane
Well Laine just scored 5 goals in a game and nobody had done that since 2011...

But in all seriousness the biggest obsticle for Laine will be icetime. Since NHL started to track icetime in 1997-98 Jonathan Cheechoo is the only one to score over 55 goals while playing under 20 minutes: NHL.com - Stats And even Cheechoo played 19 minutes and 57 seconds per game that season. And the only other player to score 50 goals and play less than 20 minutes per game is Milan Hejduk. Laine is still struggling to get to 17 minutes per game this season...

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
I think snipers tend to peak quite early, and Laine is entering that peak right now. In order to hit 50 he needs 31 goals in remaining 60 games. His career average, excluding this season, is about that. So if he stays healthy, 50 goals should be a lock.

If we look at the gpg average per season.
16-17 0,49
17-18 0,53
18-19 0,86

Given the potential he has, I think he could score the remaining 60 games with 0,6gpg, which would give him exactly 55 goals, which I think is quite spot on.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
holy people

I understand he's on a hot streak, but you're asking him to do what no one since Stamkos has done, hit at least 55 goals, let alone 50, which only OV has been able to do since 2012, 2012!

the recency bias on this site is insane

When he goes 5 games with no goals this site will be burying 6 feet under without a breathing tube, just the way she goes around here.

Reactions: Psych0dad

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I feel the safe pick is under, but when this kid catches fire (see: the last few games) he's incredible. Wouldn't be shocked with 60, but at the same time wouldn't be shocked to see him go cold for a few weeks slowing his pace. Incredibly impressed with his ability to bounce back though, good on him!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Definitely under. Have people learned nothing from his season so far? He's not a consistent guy, not yet at least.

He's got what 3 hattricks, one of them being a legendary 5 goal game?

5+3+3. That's 11 of his 19 goals in 3 games and 8 goals in the other 19 games which is a 34 goal pace. Sprinkle in a few more hot games and you've got another 10-15 or so goals?

I'd say he finishes around ~45-50 goals which IMO should be more than enough to win the Rocket.

moose3322

Apr 3, 2007
Definitely under. Have people learned nothing from his season so far? He's not a consistent guy, not yet at least.

He's got what 3 hattricks, one of them being a legendary 5 goal game?

5+3+3. That's 11 of his 19 goals in 3 games and 8 goals in the other 19 games which is a 34 goal pace. Sprinkle in a few more hot games and you've got another 10-15 or so goals?

I'd say he finishes around ~45-50 goals which IMO should be more than enough to win the Rocket.

The logic in this doesn’t seem to work. He currently has 19 goals in 22 games. 60 games left.
1. You eliminated all his best games- 3 of his 22 games are not counted (1/4 of the season). So his ‘true’ sustainable ability is now a 34 goal pace.
2. You assume he will have hot streaks in his 60 games left (3/4 of the season left)- so I assume you will want to ‘not count’ his best 9 games of those left (to stay consistent with the ratio). Let’s be very conservative and say in his best 9 games of the remainder of the season, he scores 16 goals. He is at 35 goals then, using current plus expected hot streak goals.
3. This leaves 51 other games to finish off the year. At his 34 goal pace, that is 21 goals.

Add them up, that is about 56 goals, going by your criteria of balancing out his hot streaks.

Not the best calculation, but I do expect Laine will get somewhere between 50-55 goals, maybe even 60 if he gets lucky and has multiple more hot streaks. He is on pace for over 70 goals after all, even including his early cold streak

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You don't get to eliminate his hot streaks and count his cold streaks when you are predicting the future. Yes he is not going to score at the same rate as he has been for the last 10 games, but he is also not going to score at the terrible rate he started the season at. He will likely be somewhere in the middle of that. He should be able to hit 50 if he stays healthy, his line gets a bit more ice time and the PP stays as hot as it is, but you just never really know. 55-60 is possible if everything breaks right for him but it is unlikely.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If we start remove hot streaks, then we need remove also cold streaks. If we start remove high score games, then we need remove also zero-goal games. If we apply to these to one player, then we must apply to all. Thus we can conclude that:

1. Laine's hot streak doesn't exist, but neither does his cold streaks.
2. Matthews hot start doesn't exist, because we need remove all kind streaks.

I call BS!

If you can use GPG and PPG paces for one player, sure you can use them to another too.

45-50G for Patty. Likely. I predicted off-year for him with around 32G, but it seems I am going to be horribly wrong, but happy if going to be wrong.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
His hot streaks are insane

I voted below 55 but scoring over 70 isnt impossible if he goes on a long enough hot streak

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
It's all in Paul Maurices hands. If he utilizes Laine correctly, over 60 goals. Could go way over in best conditions (in 1st line with Connor and Scheifele, full 2 min PP) but we don't get to see that unfortunately.

Let's say 63 this season if healthy and not further restricted by mgmt...just keep this line together and he can go over 60.

If he gets even 50 playing second line and 17 mins per game that itself is an achievement. Not many teams have that kind of luxury.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What does "scores goals better" mean?

I can't believe I wrote that. :laugh: "Me know english good"

I meant that Laine has 99 goals since entering the league which puts him tied with OV. Laine also has less games played which means his GPG is better.

But Ovechkin is the reigning Rocket winner who also just scored 15 PO goals. So I have no issues picking him. I would too. But there are some legit arguments for Laine too.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Voting under for anybody, including Ovechkin, till I see it happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad