Player Discussion: Patrik Laine (mod warning in post #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
True!

Wish it were true but it mostly isn't.
--There are too many starving artists, writers,actors and even aspiring hockey players...to count...
...and many, many rich but burned-out dentists*, lawyers and other professionals.
One has to be fortunate indeed to be passionate about work and wealthy from it to boot.

*apologies to the passionate dentists, but you are a statistical minority

Right you are Scelaton -- only very "few' people make it as insanely rich rock stars, athletes, artists, actors and whatever cream puff job you can think of. For every one of these athletes or actors that make it, there are "thousands" that don't, and they just may end up driving a truck or working in a meat packing plant,or whatever to pay the bills, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

These young guys that make it big, and get filthy rich today, is due to societies love with sports, and everyone's desire to escape "real life" for awhile, and there's not a better way to do that, than follow your favorite sport's team.

I'm all for it though--as I'd rather have 30 young rich guys, than just "one" real wealthy owner --like in the past. These players will all build fancy houses, that will employ a lot of people, and also start a business after they retire. It's good that the wealth is spread around, but I think some of these young stars don't really appreciate how lucky they are. It's awfully nice to play a kid's game, and be paid millions of dollars $$$-- to do something you would do for free. All the power to them-I say !!!

Last edited:

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Tomorrow there will be quite a few former and present Finnish Winnipeg Jets players on the ice, together with the brightest stars Finland has and has had. From what I’ve read the JetsTV will be broadcasting this game as well ? Or at least they are making some show about the event. Here are the rosters :

Liiga Alumni
Goaltenders:
Kaapo Kähkönen, Antti Niemi

Defenders: Sami Niku, Reijo Ruotsalainen, Kimmo Timonen, Jyrki Lumme, Teppo Numminen, Niko Mikkola

Forwards: Patrik Laine, Tuomo Ruutu, Aleksander Barkov, Leo Komarov, Teuvo Teräväinen, Tony Salmelainen, Jere Lehtinen, Ville Nieminen, Marko Jantunen, Esa Tikkanen, Jari Kurri, Teemu Selänne, Valtteri Filppula

Vs

Länsirannikon Alumni

Goaltenders:
Antti Raanta, Petri Vehanen

Defenders: Janne Niskala, Petteri Nummelin, Erik Hämäläinen, Pasi Peltonen, Jarmo Kuusisto, Sami Salo, Ilkka Heikkinen

Forwards: Mikko Rantanen, Mikko Koivu, Saku Koivu, Joel Armia, Lauri Korpikoski, Aleksi Saarela, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Kai Nurminen, Kimmo Rintanen, Tomi Kallio, Jari Korpisalo, Veli-Pekka Ketola, Jari Torkki

Also former Jets Markus Mattson and Heikki Riihiranta will be in the coaching and GM staffs

The game will be broadcasted live in Finland by Telia

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Wheeler should be TOP-5, Laine around TOP-8. Ehlers and Connor wont make it into TOP-20, I presume. They are great, but the problem here is that there are so many other players that are also great, but not superstar category.

I checked purely statistical so therefore non-biased (though for sure incomplete) corsicahockey.com Rating, and according to that our wingers are:

#8 Laine
#11 Wheeler
#46 Connor
#51 Ehlers

There might be some more guys between Wheeler and Connor as there are multiple guys listed as center while they are actually playing as winger. Marner was the only one of those I counted as winger.

Those biasesd/subjective rating lists like NHL TOP-20 wingers will differ a bit from purely statistical ones, but still pretty hard to see Ehlers and/or Connor as TOP-20, yet. They surely have potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ippenator

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Tomorrow there will be quite a few former and present Finnish Winnipeg Jets players on the ice, together with the brightest stars Finland has and has had. From what I’ve read the JetsTV will be broadcasting this game as well ? Or at least they are making some show about the event. Here are the rosters :

Liiga Alumni
Goaltenders:

Defenders: Sami Niku, Reijo Ruotsalainen, Kimmo Timonen, Jyrki Lumme, Teppo Numminen, Niko Mikkola

Forwards: Patrik Laine, Tuomo Ruutu, Aleksander Barkov, Leo Komarov, Teuvo Teräväinen, Tony Salmelainen, Jere Lehtinen, Ville Nieminen, Marko Jantunen, Esa Tikkanen, Jari Kurri, Teemu Selänne, Valtteri Filppula

Vs

Länsirannikon Alumni

Goaltenders:

Defenders: Janne Niskala, Petteri Nummelin, Erik Hämäläinen, Pasi Peltonen, Jarmo Kuusisto, Sami Salo, Ilkka Heikkinen

Forwards: Mikko Rantanen, Mikko Koivu, Saku Koivu, Joel Armia, Lauri Korpikoski, Aleksi Saarela, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Kai Nurminen, Kimmo Rintanen, Tomi Kallio, Jari Korpisalo, Veli-Pekka Ketola, Jari Torkki

Also former Jets Markus Mattson and Heikki Riihiranta will be in the coaching and GM staffs

I remember watching Veli-Pekka Ketola, Markus Mattson and Heikki Riihiranta in the old barn in the 70's.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Liiga Alumni
Goaltenders:

Vs

Länsirannikon Alumni

Goaltenders:

I would watch it just to see if Jari Torkki has kept his hairstyle.

Great bonus to see the others in action too :D

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Happy where he is Wants to stay long term. in no hurry to get the contract doen this summer or next is fine....:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

https://www.tsn.ca/jets-laine-no-rush-to-sign-extension-1.1158501

Jet's should sign Laine this summer while he's affordable - I'd say they could sign him for around $ 8.5 mil over 6-8 years right now. If he has a 60 goal season or something like that this upcoming season it could be $ 10-11 mil over 6-8 years-" a lot more money."

I think the Jet's should bite the bullet and sign him while he's affordable, or they could be dragged into very deep water by waiting.

According to TSN and a little piece done on Laine that I just saw on TV -- he wants to stay here long term and likes it here--so sign him up "now."

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine might also want to be treated fair and well, and he said it loud last season he didn't understand his low TOI (well, no experts did get that as well, but PoMo...). You know, it's great and all to make history as a 40 goal scorer with lowest recorded TOI/GP, but these guys are pretty competitive and they really need decent TOI and not those 13 minute jokes every now and then.

He got absolutely nothing given to his direction last season and that was a different treatment than every other TOP-6 wingers got, even Ehlers who was also on doghouse.

He said he likes it in Winnipeg and wants to stay for long and hopes the Jets will see it so also. I'm hopeful too, even if they didn't show their love last season.

He is very down to the earth, humble and I think also forgiving, but nobody wants to be treated unfair, so PoMo (and Chevy) should really carefully consider that in coming season. It's really not that they can lower his price by limiting his TOI and scoring opportunities, but that can be actually counterproductive and if he is pissed of, he might not sign that team friendly deal.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
I can allready imagine the scenario when Laine returns to Winnipeg and practice camp.
Maurice : Hi Patty, how was your summer ?
Laine : Great, got to practice a lot. I am in the best shape ever and ready to get that Rocket Richard and Stanley Cup. sooo pumped up !!!
Maurice : I see... Any hockey ?
Laine : Yea, I got to play a game with Barkov, it was SO cool to finally have a decent center.
Maurice : well, good for you
Laine: who is my C this year ?
Maurice : TA-DAA ! ( and unveils Brian Little from behind the drapes)
Laine : .....

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Defensively ELL was really solid. Just the offence part was missing completely.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Defensively ELL was really solid. Just the offence part was missing completely.

True, unfortunately they were net negative last season. Both seasons combined they are like +22 -22 = 0, but last season they were net negative 5-on-5.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
True, unfortunately they were net negative last season. Both seasons combined they are like +22 -22 = 0, but last season they were net negative 5-on-5.

-3 as a line it seems. Slightly negative corsi, slightly negative xGoals.

Yeah not a super great line because they don't score at all.

Reactions: Halberdier

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine might also want to be treated fair and well, and he said it loud last season he didn't understand his low TOI (well, no experts did get that as well, but PoMo...). You know, it's great and all to make history as a 40 goal scorer with lowest recorded TOI/GP, but these guys are pretty competitive and they really need decent TOI and not those 13 minute jokes every now and then.

He got absolutely nothing given to his direction last season and that was a different treatment than every other TOP-6 wingers got, even Ehlers who was also on doghouse.

He said he likes it in Winnipeg and wants to stay for long and hopes the Jets will see it so also. I'm hopeful too, even if they didn't show their love last season.

He is very down to the earth, humble and I think also forgiving, but nobody wants to be treated unfair, so PoMo (and Chevy) should really carefully consider that in coming season. It's really not that they can lower his price by limiting his TOI and scoring opportunities, but that can be actually counterproductive and if he is pissed of, he might not sign that team friendly deal.

Yeah, considering everything he "got" from the team last season was mainly Stastny + maybe some minute or so added to TOI along with the new and now former partner. In the end he was the only "top six" winger with no fair showcase for the first line and pretty much watched without complaint how a rookie from AHL jumped in to play more hockey than he did. It's not even the actual line that seemed a "bit" off but the fact that his ice time suddenly dropped down significantly despite of having on of the best 18 year old rookie seasons in the recent history. I'm sure he is as wary as hell coming into his third and final year of the ELC. I think if he wanted to stay in desperately we would have heard about contract negotiations at least by now. However I think he first wants to see how everything unfolds in front of him and to see exactly what his role will be in the short future. I seriously doubt a second best goal scorer in the league would settle for second line minutes, even looking just a short term, not with the competitive nature that he has. Considering the personality alone the long visit at the doghouse must have been a bitter pill to swallow. Laine is a smart guy and unlike with the most of the first round draft picks he knows he has real value and if things didn't turn out like he wanted, he probably wanted to explore all the available avenues first, which could explain why there's no contract talks yet made public.

I can allready imagine the scenario when Laine returns to Winnipeg and practice camp.
Maurice : Hi Patty, how was your summer ?
Laine : Great, got to practice a lot. I am in the best shape ever and ready to get that Rocket Richard and Stanley Cup. sooo pumped up !!!
Maurice : I see... Any hockey ?
Laine : Yea, I got to play a game with Barkov, it was SO cool to finally have a decent center.
Maurice : well, good for you
Laine: who is my C this year ?
Maurice : TA-DAA ! ( and unveils Brian Little from behind the drapes)
Laine : .....

Hahaha

Yeah although probably everyone and their grandpa's and even home pets know the two are like poison to each other, somehow I still got this odd feeling that we just might end up with seeing the two paired up once again. I really really hope this isn't the case and that the management learned the lesson and instead of hammer his next contract they try to make things as comfortable for him as possible cause every action has it's consequence and it's in their best interest that Laine himself has interest and the desire to move forward with the Jets.

Anyway whatever the case or whether it is Scheifele, Little or Roslovic that centers Laine next year, if his aTOI isn't far closer to 20 than 16 mins/game, then I'd be seriously concerned.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don't think it'll matter who Laine plays with next season. I believe in him and his ability to become THE guy.
I never bought this thinking that some players are just fine with whomever they play with. I honestly think this is plain wrong. Sure, Gretzky would have most probably had some clearly over 150 points seasons without playing with Kurri and Coffey. But to say that he would have been just fine with not playing with that caliber players is wrong in my opinion. If not playing with them would have dropped his production with about 50 points, it means that he and his team would have been clearly less efficient with goalscoring, and that is after all clearly the most important thing in hockey.

Crosby does not play as efficiently with any kind of players. He is great with some speedy grinders and they don’t have to be super skilled, but they need to be speedy and tenacious guys with above average skill too. Put him with soft and passive kind of very skilled players, and he will for sure be clearly less efficient.

There is also a reason why Boston plays Bergeron, Marchand and Pastrnak often in the same line. That way they get different kind of absolute elite qualities in the same line and it makes the line at both ends extremely difficult to handle. To use them constantly in separate lines would make those lines so much easier to handle that spreading the wealth becomes much less efficient than having all those elite players together and making the line almost impossible to handle. Same applies with Colorado’s 1st line with MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog. And there are a lot of other lines and players that clearly work the best with the right kind of players.

But there are a lot of these rigid and stubborn type of coaches whom believe a lot in forcing ”balance” to their lines and just believe in statistical grinding hockey with all lines being ok, but non of them really great and special. I absolutely loathe that kind of hockey, and even though I can’t deny that it wouldn’t be possible to win championships even with that approach, I still believe that the other way works better, especially when you really have more than one or two absolute elite players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Trouba is traded, I think the biggest need is to find a complimentary Center for the BPA Patrik Laine. If the Jets have no designs of playing Scheifele with Laine. Which IMO will depend if the Jets re-sign Wheeler.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We will have to see what Maurice has in store for line combinations this year, but I still believe (based on past seasons of current youth) that the first two years Laine played for us, he was to concentrate on certain aspects of his game. Mostly defence. We saw the same thing from Scheifele for a couple of years, and then it was like they just took the reins off of him and let him do what he does naturally.

I think this will be the year they take the reins off of Laine and let him do what he does best as well. Lets face it, Patrik hasn't looked like the player that dominated every year before the NHL. I don't believe for a minute that the difference in competition should have made as much difference as his play showed. I honestly think that he was simply being a good coachable player for the last two years and concentrating on what the Jets wanted him to do.

Now if he is given the green light to go back to pre Nhl Pate mode along with what they want him to do defensively, and with his offseason agility training, we could be in for a heck of a season from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad