Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah Im not actually expecting it. Just living in my preseason dream world.

Thought about Chinakov there as well, but that would probably make Patty the primary playmaker which isnt ideal. Maybe in a couple of years, but then again we have Johnson and Sillinger in the pipeline so probably not

I don't know about "primary playmaker" but giving Laine the best pass options possible would be a good thing. The PKers are already crowding his side of the ice, they can't do that if Laine can feed a deadly one-timer on the other side. It's early but I really want to see:

---------- Voracek
Laine - Roslovic - Chinakhov
-------- Boq/Bean/Z

I'm curious how the PP would look with a passer like Voracek playing down low. With Jenner in front it basically just guarantees that we'll be moving the puck around the umbrella, and the PKers can focus on that.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
It just looks like Voracek and Laine speak the same language with the puck. There were so many little plays last night that Laine anticipated what Voracek was going to do and put a puck out ahead in space that Jake was able to get to and gain the zone.
They both have that ability to read plays ahead before getting the puck that most of the Jackets don't have. It is like they have clearer picture in mind of how much time and space they have in hand to operate with once they're about to receive the puck. It enables them to have more options to play with the puck. Often they are good at discerning what is the best option too (Well, Laine has had some obvious miscalculations with his stickhandle plays as we all know...)

Externally, to an outside viewer, that ability usually appears as poise, lack of fumbling, effortlessness etc. In addition to Laine and Voracek, you can see it also if you watch Roslovic, Boqvist, Bjorkstrand, Nyqvist or Werenski going for the loose puck or receiving a pass. I'm not saying they all have equally good or bad hockey instincts in that regard (and I'm purposely leaving out some other names), but there is a clear difference between them and bottom line/pair players and prospects.

Bemstrom seems to be taking major steps forward concerning this hockey "skill", based on preseason performances. On the contrary, Texier's development has come to a stop, but hopefully not permanently. Sillinger and Chinakhov are not in the Roslovic/Werenski level yet but IMO they have potential to reach it within next few years.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't know about "primary playmaker" but giving Laine the best pass options possible would be a good thing. The PKers are already crowding his side of the ice, they can't do that if Laine can feed a deadly one-timer on the other side. It's early but I really want to see:

---------- Voracek
-------- Boq/Bean/Z

I'm curious how the PP would look with a passer like Voracek playing down low. With Jenner in front it basically just guarantees that we'll be moving the puck around the umbrella, and the PKers can focus on that.
Still think there needs to be a skilled playmaker on the right wall, and havent seen that from Chinakov. Laine gives excellent passes but he also often slows the play down a ton, which has in the past resulted in a powerplay that kinda just stands around when Laine is on the puck a lot. That's why I'd make the play to run mainly through right wall, and why Jake is ideal there

Obviously could have just been a wpg thing, so i'd be open to seeing new ideas in action

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

---------- Voracek
-------- Boq/Bean/Z

I also wonder if they could practice some set plays with that line up, such as high slot tip plays from Laine to Roslovic. It is easier to redirect pucks from that side if the bumper is right handed. I'm just not sure if Roslovic has very good hand-eye coordination or just skills in general for those tricky plays.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I had a feeling you would respond that way. I just don't know how good is he with deflections compared to others, pucks on ice level and mid air, forehand and backhand.
I didn’t see Roslovic do those at least too much as a Jet. But deflections are in fact something that Laine is very good at. But as he has such a great shot, he hasn’t been really used much in that role on the powerplay. Just rarely when he was in Winnipeg.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe I`m wrong but thanks to Voracek Laine could use all his qualities and not only shoot. IMHO it was a problem and Torts wanted to change it. Larsen wants to continue, but in a different style.

The Blue Jackets think Laine can be a player, not just a scorer. They needed to help him, so they acquired Voracek from Philadelphia. But he needed to help himself, too. Larsen believes the early signs are promising.
Thoughts on the Blue Jackets (for now) first line: Patrik Laine, Cole Sillinger, Jake Voracek

EDIT: Jarmo has been named assistant general manager of Finland's national team for the 2022 Olympic Games. So if Patrik isn`t improve his play, he won`t be just a scorer but a player too, Bye, Bye Olympic Games.

Last edited:

paragon

May 5, 2010
EDIT: Jarmo has been named assistant general manager of Finland's national team for the 2022 Olympic Games. So if Patrik isn`t improve his play, he won`t be just a scorer but a player too, Bye, Bye Olympic Games.
Fat chance. Unless he has a trade lined up. Dropping Laine from Olympic games would instantly and completely ruin their relationship.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Exactly this. He s not the complete all rounder and it's hard to see him ever becoming this. I wish he would just concentrate on defence without the Puck and then pass to nearest man in defensive zone. Carrying the Puck through the zones should be just left to someone else. He is an amazing finisher. Follow the play and get open.

He is an interesting player so the least

almost as interesting as logging onto a computer where I work and finding you logged in already(yes--I logged you out) check you DMs for which hotel it was at(I am assuming it is here in Cardiff)

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
They are not going to drop Laine from olympics, only if he is injured. Finnish national team has always missed scorers so he will be in team even he would be playing his worst season ever. With Barkov in same lin. :D

hoki

Oct 5, 2021
They are not going to drop Laine from olympics, only if he is injured. Finnish national team has always missed scorers so he will be in team even he would be playing his worst season ever. With Barkov in same lin. :D
It's not about dropping Laine as much as it is about if he makes the team. Based on last season it's not clear cut. He was (out of Finns in NHL)
#11 in points
#10 in points/game
#8 in goals
#12 in TOI/gp

Most concerning his +/- of -28 was dead last of all Finns in NHL, by a huge margin as well, even compared to players on teams like Buffalo.

He's really only a player you want on PP or first two lines, so if he doesn't fit in first two lines it's entirely possible he wouldn't make the team.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
It's not about dropping Laine as much as it is about if he makes the team. Based on last season it's not clear cut. He was (out of Finns in NHL)
#11 in points
#10 in points/game
#8 in goals
#12 in TOI/gp

Most concerning his +/- of -28 was dead last of all Finns in NHL, by a huge margin as well, even compared to players on teams like Buffalo.

He's really only a player you want on PP or first two lines, so if he doesn't fit in first two lines it's entirely possible he wouldn't make the team.

No, it is not possible he does not make the team unless his injured. Period.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
#11 in points
#10 in points/game
#8 in goals
#12 in TOI/gp

Come on, we all know there's no way he doesn't make the team. Even if he were to play as badly as last season, I'm sure Jalonen would want him in all the same since he knows what he can do and has already coached him. And it seems very unlikely he won't significantly improve from last season, that was definitely an outlier even compared to his bad 18-19 season and early signs point to Voracek providing a great offensive partner for him to play with.

Besides that, the top2 centers of Finnish national team are pretty much ideal to squeeze the most out of him, and he has already played with both of them with stellar results. Add to that on the winger department I see Rantanen, Teräväinen, Granlund, Puljujärvi all could work really well in creating a well balanced line even with Laine who is struggling with his all around game. Then again if Laine plays his best, then he could be the best winger in the team anyway.

On top of that, even if we assume you are right and Laine is not good enough to be on the first two lines, on a national team it's not a top-6 vs bottom-6 the way many NHL teams are run, all the best players are in. Third line still can have good offensive talent on it and play an all-around game that's not focused on 0-0 hockey. The 3rd could be something like Donskoi-Hintz-Laine.

The way I see it, it would really take some NHL career threatening nose dive from Laine to not make the Olympic roster. Or for Jalonen to go psychotic and think he has some kind of master plan and build the team around mostly liiga players :D

(sorry for the off-topic, but at least it's about CBJ player mostly!)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Come on, we all know there's no way he doesn't make the team. Even if he were to play as badly as last season, I'm sure Jalonen would want him in all the same since he knows what he can do and has already coached him. And it seems very unlikely he won't significantly improve from last season, that was definitely an outlier even compared to his bad 18-19 season and early signs point to Voracek providing a great offensive partner for him to play with.

Besides that, the top2 centers of Finnish national team are pretty much ideal to squeeze the most out of him, and he has already played with both of them with stellar results. Add to that on the winger department I see Rantanen, Teräväinen, Granlund, Puljujärvi all could work really well in creating a well balanced line even with Laine who is struggling with his all around game. Then again if Laine plays his best, then he could be the best winger in the team anyway.

On top of that, even if we assume you are right and Laine is not good enough to be on the first two lines, on a national team it's not a top-6 vs bottom-6 the way many NHL teams are run, all the best players are in. Third line still can have good offensive talent on it and play an all-around game that's not focused on 0-0 hockey. The 3rd could be something like Donskoi-Hintz-Laine.

The way I see it, it would really take some NHL career threatening nose dive from Laine to not make the Olympic roster. Or for Jalonen to go psychotic and think he has some kind of master plan and build the team around mostly liiga players :D

(sorry for the off-topic, but at least it's about CBJ player mostly!)
O.K.

Rantanen, Teräväinen, Granlund - TOP 6. Then there`re Puljujärvi and Kakko, Tolvanen and Kotkaniemi who can be better too. If Jesperi plays good with Aho and Teräväinen, Finland should the line. Bottom 6 - Kapanen, Kuokkanen, Donskoi, I`m sure Armia will play too because he`s great in PK.

Just for overview:

Granlund--Barkov--Rantanen
Teräväinen--Aho--Puljujärvi/Kotkaniemi/Kakko/Tolvanen
Donskoi--Hintz--Kapanen
Kuokkanen--Haula/Kotkaniemi--Armia

Do you think Finland needs Laine? So, if Patrik doesn`t improve his overall play and he`ll be just finnisher, Bye, Bye Olympic Games.

Reactions: Pandemonia

hoki

Oct 5, 2021
On top of that, even if we assume you are right and Laine is not good enough to be on the first two lines, on a national team it's not a top-6 vs bottom-6 the way many NHL teams are run, all the best players are in. Third line still can have good offensive talent on it and play an all-around game that's not focused on 0-0 hockey.
Thanks for your longer post, good stuff. I just wanted to note here that I disagree with this. National team will also play in a way where top lines get more minutes. Laine has some record in complaining about playing on lower lines and you don't really want such distractions for short tournaments. What you need in the bottom 2 lines are players who you can count on to bring 100% energy on the ice when it's their turn.

Anyway, hoping for a great season to Laine and all the others as well!

Reactions: VT

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
Lol... Laine will be in the team Finland regardles how he plays in the NHL. And he will be playing in top 2 lines and PP. You can show stat sheets and argue how this or that i so much better and still Laine would be there and that other guy in lower lines or not in the team. NHL is not the only thing that matters when choosing team Finland you know. Stats in NHL and stats in olympics or WC doesnt always correlate. If you think that theres a change that Laine will be out from the olympics without being injured then you either dont know anything about Finland, finnish way of thinking or you are just a Laine hater.

I have Laine in the first laine at the moment. Only way he slips from there is that someone else has a superb season and superb chemistry with Barkov or Aho or he is injured.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Lol... Laine will be in the team Finland regardles how he plays in the NHL. And he will be playing in top 2 lines and PP. You can show stat sheets and argue how this or that i so much better and still Laine would be there and that other guy in lower lines or not in the team. NHL is not the only thing that matters when choosing team Finland you know. Stats in NHL and stats in olympics or WC doesnt always correlate. If you think that theres a change that Laine will be out from the olympics without being injured then you either dont know anything about Finland, finnish way of thinking or you are just a Laine hater.

I have Laine in the first laine at the moment. Only way he slips from there is that someone else has a superb season and superb chemistry with Barkov or Aho or he is injured.
I very like Laine but I doubt if Kakko/Puljujärvi/Tolvanen play good Lehtinen could let them home. And Granlund is very important too.

Or else, you try to explain to the players that you take a player to OG, again, Olympic Games just because he can shoot even though it's not sure if he'll do well because his overall play isn`t ideal There aren`t play guys from Europe, and you don't keep talented players at home (if they play well). What do you think would you do it?

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
I very like Laine but I doubt if Kakko/Puljujärvi/Tolvanen play good Lehtinen could let them home. And Granlund is very important too.

Or else, you try to explain to the players that you take a player to OG, again, Olympic Games just because he can shoot even though it's not sure if he'll do well because his overall play isn`t ideal There aren`t play guys from Europe, and you don't keep talented players at home (if they play well). What do you think would you do it?
Jalonen has been doing that years and he wants players with certain profile to team and he knows what Laine is capable of. And Jalonen can get most out of players in a tight spot so he will take profilic goal scorer to team, short tournament will require that you will be able to score on PP for example. Even though Bondra was old he was picked to team Slovakia because he was Bondra.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
O.K.

Rantanen, Teräväinen, Granlund - TOP 6. Then there`re Puljujärvi and Kakko, Tolvanen and Kotkaniemi who can be better too. If Jesperi plays good with Aho and Teräväinen, Finland should the line. Bottom 6 - Kapanen, Kuokkanen, Donskoi, I`m sure Armia will play too because he`s great in PK.

Just for overview:

Granlund--Barkov--Rantanen
Teräväinen--Aho--Puljujärvi/Kotkaniemi/Kakko/Tolvanen
Donskoi--Hintz--Kapanen
Kuokkanen--Haula/Kotkaniemi--Armia

Do you think Finland needs Laine? So, if Patrik doesn`t improve his overall play and he`ll be just finnisher, Bye, Bye Olympic Games.

If he is 16-20 NHL Jets Laine, there is no question he is TOP-6 in Finnish olympic team. Absolutely no question at all. Even with back injury, on 18-19 he would have been, though then with lesser role on 5-on-5. If he is 20-21 CBJ Laine, which he won't be due to so many things including but not limited to the system and Barkov, then he should not be in the team.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Thanks for your longer post, good stuff. I just wanted to note here that I disagree with this. National team will also play in a way where top lines get more minutes. Laine has some record in complaining about playing on lower lines and you don't really want such distractions for short tournaments. What you need in the bottom 2 lines are players who you can count on to bring 100% energy on the ice when it's their turn.

Anyway, hoping for a great season to Laine and all the others as well!

Nice, I see what you did there, my old buddy "hoki". Guys, just don't feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad