Patrik Elias Appreciation Thread

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yup. Ended up on Langenbrunner because of him, which caused a boatload of problems. Went to a dude that left after one year, and now an a BAD stay at home defenseman on his last leg. The decision to strip him of the C was so stupid.

He needed to have it taken from him. It was dragging on him like an anchor.

Some players just need to play and lead by example without all of that ancillary rah rah garbage.

Putting the C on him in the first place was the right thing -
Taking it off of him so he could play his game and live his life was an even better move.

Langenbrunner wouldn't have been run out of town on a rail if he hadn't been put in that position as team mouthpiece during a time when it was important because our coach was out of his depth.

Be thankful it was him, and not Patty melting down.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That is such a myth. How do you know Elias 'needed' the C taken off him? He wasn't as great as he was in '05-06 but he still had 69 points in 75 games. The team got to the second round of the playoffs so it's not like there wasn't some team success too. The year after he got the C taken off him he dropped to 55 points in 74 games.

And maybe things don't go to **** the way they did in '09-10 if Elias WAS still the captain as opposed to Captain America.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really know why Elias needed the C taken off of him, and as noted already he was not good in 07-08 after having it taken off of him. That was arguably the most mediocre season of his career, not including when he was young and first breaking into the league.

And if Elias was still captain now, maybe we don't have Salvador stinking up the joint night in and night out.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
thumb.aspx

Just bought this, I'm going to swap out the drawstring with a hockey lace.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
With another cup maybe. If I were to guess he just misses it.

Well on the main boards there is a thread about Marleau and the Hall of Fame. There is a argument about him making the HOF. If Marleau should get consideration, i think Elias should even get more.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
thumb.aspx

Just bought this, I'm going to swap out the drawstring with a hockey lace.

How much do these things cost? You seem to buy a lot of merchandise! I'd like to buy some more myself, but a lot of it seems really overpriced.

Most of the jerseys and shirts I have are old, like from the 90s/early 00s. Most of them still fit though. I barely have any in the Reebok era. Just a Marty and Patty, both red. I also have a frickin Kovalchuk one in white with the A on it. :rant:

I bought a couple player tees a couple Summers ago. A red Marty one with the 2012 SCF logo on it, and a black Kovalchuk one. Too much Kovalchuk.:rant:

Yeah sorry to get off topic, but I wanna buy some of these things.:nod:

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
How much do these things cost? You seem to buy a lot of merchandise! I'd like to buy some more myself, but a lot of it seems really overpriced.

Most of the jerseys and shirts I have are old, like from the 90s/early 00s. Most of them still fit though. I barely have any in the Reebok era. Just a Marty and Patty, both red. I also have a frickin Kovalchuk one in white with the A on it. :rant:

I bought a couple player tees a couple Summers ago. A red Marty one with the 2012 SCF logo on it, and a black Kovalchuk one. Too much Kovalchuk.:rant:

Yeah sorry to get off topic, but I wanna buy some of these things.:nod:

Yeah, I've been a little bad recently buying Devils stuff. The hoodie was definitely overpriced at $60 (much like all of the SS stuff), but I love the Christmas/retro colors, and I don't have any Elias apparel/jerseys so I figured I'd spring the $$ for it. The only other overpriced Devils merch I bought was the SS Schneider tee a month or so ago. This'll hopefully be the last I spend (hopefully) on any Devils merch for quite a while.

If you're actually interested, the place I bought it from, Fanatics, has free 3-day shipping for any orders over $50 w/ the code "50Ship". They have Jagr, Brodeur, Elias, Gio, and Salvador.

http://www.fanatics.com/NHL_New_Jersey_Devils_Sweatshirts_And_Fleece

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I've been a little bad recently buying Devils stuff. The hoodie was definitely overpriced at $60 (much like all of the SS stuff), but I love the Christmas/retro colors, and I don't have any Elias apparel/jerseys so I figured I'd spring the $$ for it. This'll hopefully be the last I spend (hopefully) on any Devils merch for quite a while.

If you're actually interested, the place I bought it from, Fanatics, has free 3-day shipping for any orders over $50 w/ the code "50Ship". They have Jagr, Brodeur, Elias, Gio, and Salvador.

http://www.fanatics.com/NHL_New_Jersey_Devils_Sweatshirts_And_Fleece

Thanks! I'll be sure to check this out!

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
That is such a myth. How do you know Elias 'needed' the C taken off him? He wasn't as great as he was in '05-06 but he still had 69 points in 75 games. The team got to the second round of the playoffs so it's not like there wasn't some team success too. The year after he got the C taken off him he dropped to 55 points in 74 games.

And maybe things don't go to **** the way they did in '09-10 if Elias WAS still the captain as opposed to Captain America.

That is your opinion (and it's wrong, in my opinion). You can't just point to stats - there were other changes in the team that contributed to his mediocre year the next year.

He was clearly not the same player when wearing the C, and although it wasn't a pretty thing to have happen to him - I don't think having Langs captain was a problem until Johnny Mac showed up.

Your point that he might have made things better in '09-10 is valid - or maybe it would have cost him his career with the Devils. I don't see how the Johnny Mac situation would have ended well without any collateral damage.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I don't really know why Elias needed the C taken off of him, and as noted already he was not good in 07-08 after having it taken off of him. That was arguably the most mediocre season of his career, not including when he was young and first breaking into the league.

And if Elias was still captain now, maybe we don't have Salvador stinking up the joint night in and night out.

I don't think the C is the only thing keeping Salvador around. They played Volch all last year when he stunk it up.

I think the role of Captain is more lightning rod and less glory. I prefer Patty right where he is, as opposed to being scapegoated or having to officiate with inter-office politics.

He leads this team just fine from where he is.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Well on the main boards there is a thread about Marleau and the Hall of Fame. There is a argument about him making the HOF. If Marleau should get consideration, i think Elias should even get more.

consideration - absolutely.

Maybe not first ballot, and it definitely depends on the year - but if he chugs along for another couple of years.

1000 career points should help - and he's got the cups - but there are lots of guys in that range... interesting who, if any of the following get in:
Tkachuk, Theo Fleury, Mogilney, Larmer, Kariya, Brind'amor,... etc.

You've got Modano, Roenick, Andreychuk who might be slightly ahead.

GoDevils1983*

Elias got mad and got scoring this week .....

leading the team to the playoffs? Go Patty!

MountainGoat

He needed to have it taken from him. It was dragging on him like an anchor.

Sutter was dragging on Elias, I don't think it was a secret that they didn't like each other and the way Sutter handled stripping Elias of the C was a joke

Elias would still have the C if it wasn't for Sutter

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Sutter was dragging on Elias, I don't think it was a secret that they didn't like each other and the way Sutter handled stripping Elias of the C was a joke

Elias would still have the C if it wasn't for Sutter

That could be too...

Sure was struggling then..

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
patty and the kick.....some cool footage and insight to his skills..... starts soccer part at around :50

personally i love this...i still play......he is an inspiration to keep playing.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Elias might hit another 60 point season. He was also injured for around 12 games. Pretty remarkable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad