Confirmed with Link: Patrick Roy Named Head Coach & VP of Hockey Operations Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think Stastny will thrive under Roy's coaching. This could be the change Stastny needed.

For some reason I actually think all Colorado players will thrive under Roy, I mean c'mon, Sacco to Roy. Who wouldn't want to play for Roy and win something? Instead of playing for Sacco and tanking for #1 pick?!

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
New interviews with Sakic and Roy here (ignore a few inane questions). The Roy one is particularly good, especially with his comments about Varly.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1623

For those of you at work:

-Talks about how he communicates with the players. Either live or phone call. Talked about meeting Downie, since he was in town, in person to talk about his injury. Isn't a text message guy.

-Talked about how some things need to be said face to face. Doesn't want to throw someone under the bus from last year, but obviously some things need to be said, otherwise Roy wouldn't be here right now (talking about how poorly the team did).

-On Varly, absolutely has to become more consistent. Wants a really good relation with Varly. Pretty good percentage of goaltending is mental. Thinks Varly might be losing focus or confidence, and Roy thinks he could really help him in that area. Says Varly has been working very hard with Allaire. Roy went to watch them practice. Roy could tell there is two or three things he needs to work on (positioning, reading the play). Says Varly is a super kid. Varly is aware he needs to be more consistent, and has evaluated himself really well.

-What Roy will say to address the team for the first time: Roy hasn't written anything yet, and he won't. He speaks with his heart, and when he addresses the team, he won't be reading some speech.

-Roy wants to be close to his players, but doesn't mean he won't pull a player aside on a bad night and ask what's going on. Wants honest relationships, with no games played. Roy says he never curses.

-Thinks the game needs more goals. Possibly bigger nets.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's kind of a long shot, but lets say Avs make the playoffs and Florida doesn't, will that automatically win the Jack Adams for Roy?

I think it will because the 2nd worst team in the NHL last year making the playoffs next year will be huge and a majority of the credit will go to Roy.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's kind of a long shot, but lets say Avs make the playoffs and Florida doesn't, will that automatically win the Jack Adams for Roy?

I think it will because the 2nd worst team in the NHL last year making the playoffs next year will be huge and a majority of the credit will go to Roy.

It didn't win Sacco the Jack Adams when it was 3rd worst to the playoffs, I doubt it would for Roy this time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
New interviews with Sakic and Roy here (ignore a few inane questions). The Roy one is particularly good, especially with his comments about Varly.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1623

Good interviews. Roy as usual was awesome. New twist on his relationship with Varly. Sounds like he's gonna be more hands on than he alluded to in the past. Sounds kinda like he may help him with more of the mental side of the game, and let Francois handle the technical stuff. Interesting to hear Patty say he noticed a few things already that Varly could improve on with his glvoe hand, and reading of the play though after watching him for an hour or so.

As for Sakic, not happy at all with how comfortable he is with his team, when talking about some of the free agents left out there. He says the D needs to be better, and admits it's the same group. Really not sure why he thinks this group is capable so much more, and I can't think of a single downside to signing Hainsey for cheap on a one year. Joe basically shut that down saying they're set unless an injury happens in training camp.

The D needs so much help, I don't see how they're going to fix it with one trade down the road, if that's what they're waiting for. And if they do make a big trade for a big name like Yandle or something, it's gonna cost them a D or two from their side so why not bring in a guy like Hanisey?

member 116861

As for Sakic, not happy at all with how comfortable he is with his team, when talking about some of the free agents left out there. He says the D needs to be better, and admits it's the same group. Really not sure why he thinks this group is capable so much more, and I can't think of a single downside to signing Hainsey for cheap on a one year. Joe basically shut that down saying they're set unless an injury happens in training camp.

The D needs so much help, I don't see how they're going to fix it with one trade down the road, if that's what they're waiting for. And if they do make a big trade for a big name like Yandle or something, it's gonna cost them a D or two from their side so why not bring in a guy like Hanisey?

I agree that our D needs help and I agree that signing Hainsey to a 1 year deal would be smart but I disagree with the bolded part. Erik Johnson can be so much better than last year, if he improved his play it would help out the rest of the D a lot. Also having Ryan Wilson in the line-up instead of him being injured will help a lot as well. Also Tyson Barrie will continue to improve his play and grow as a player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Good interviews. Roy as usual was awesome. New twist on his relationship with Varly. Sounds like he's gonna be more hands on than he alluded to in the past. Sounds kinda like he may help him with more of the mental side of the game, and let Francois handle the technical stuff. Interesting to hear Patty say he noticed a few things already that Varly could improve on with his glvoe hand, and reading of the play though after watching him for an hour or so.

I'm in the same boat as you as wanting somebody like Hainsey to solidify things, but it just isn't going to happen.

I am fully confident that the defense will improve though. First off, Hunwick won't be playing 23+ minutes a night. He will be back to eating Nachos. Barrie will be up for a full season. EJ shouldn't be nearly as bad as he was last year. None of that takes into account the coaching change which should improve the defense.

Elliott could surprise as well, if he puts it together he will improve the PP and the offense dramatically.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree that our D needs help and I agree that signing Hainsey to a 1 year deal would be smart but I disagree with the bolded part. Erik Johnson can be so much better than last year, if he improved his play it would help out the rest of the D a lot. Also having Ryan Wilson in the line-up instead of him being injured will help a lot as well. Also Tyson Barrie will continue to improve his play and grow as a player.

I'm in the same boat as you as wanting somebody like Hainsey to solidify things, but it just isn't going to happen.

I am fully confident that the defense will improve though. First off, Hunwick won't be playing 23+ minutes a night. He will be back to eating Nachos. Barrie will be up for a full season. EJ shouldn't be nearly as bad as he was last year. None of that takes into account the coaching change which should improve the defense.

Elliott could surprise as well, if he puts it together he will improve the PP and the offense dramatically.

I agree on most these points. I still believe EJ can be a very good offensive and defensive top defenseman under the right circumstance. The biggest part of that is finding him a partner that can help him transition wise, and not be a sieve defensively. He just doesn't have the elite ability to handle both the offensive and defensive burden himself, it weighs him down too much.

The young guys like Barrie and Elliott could take another step offensively, but I'm not expecting them to be reliable defensively. I just don't see that in their makeup.

Wilson, while it's better he's healthy and in the lineup, I think people overrate in terms of how much he can help the team. I think because he's been injured so much, people tend to think that's the only thing holding him back. He's just not all that great defensively when it comes down to it, and since EJ and to a lesser extent Hejda are the only real quality D men on the team, that means Wilson is playing much higher than he should, and will have his weaknesses exposed once again.

They just need a lot of help, and one move or trade by itself isn't going to solve things. Might as well make another cheap one like Hainsey.

I think the D by itself will only be better because Patrick will be more demanding and get them them to focus and compete harder AND IF they can stay healthy.

Even if those things happen though, the ultimate level this group can get to is not that much higher. It's just not a good enough group. It needs more quality, and players that are more reliable defensively.

In order for them to get to a respectable level as a group, they'd have to ALL take HUGE steps in their effectiveness, and ALL stay healthy, and that just simply isn't realistic. To me we've seen the best out of guys like Hejda, Wilson, and Hunwick. I don't see them taking improving beyond what we've seen already. Benoit I'll be happy if he can play close to a Wilson level of play, and Sarich I'll be happy if he's just not a complete train wreck every time he steps out on the ice.

I think at best if things go well, we'll see one or two guys like EJ and Barrie/Elliott take small steps up in their overall level of play, and they'll be relatively healthy, but that's just not going to be enough unfortunately IMO.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really think Barrie will surprise a lot of people next year. After re-watching games from this past year, I came away seriously impressed. I have been one of the people that has constantly said Barrie is closer to ready than Elliott, but only has a #3 top end at the very most. I'm really starting to re-think that thought. If you watch his games in April and you will see a young defensemen playing top paring minutes, not looking lost in the least, and carrying his pairing against the other teams best lines. He played like a top pairing defensemen during that time. If he plays like that he could be paired with EJ and the Avs suddenly have a top pairing. Now does he continue from where he left off? Nobody knows, but if he does it solves a lot of problems.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think best case scenario with the Avs defence:
-EJ plays 24+ minutes, gets over 35 points. #1 defenceman
-Barrie gets over 40 points. #3 defenceman
-Hejda plays within his limits and eats a lot minutes. #4 defenceman
-Wilson stays healthy and plays with confidence. #4 defenceman
-Hunwick/Sarich/Benoit play well enough that they are good on the bottom pairing. #5/6 defencemen.

Avs will make the playoffs if this happens.

Worst case scenario:
-EJ plays like he did for chunks of last season. 21 minutes a game, no points, some bad choices. #2/3 defenceman.
-Barrie is unproductive and timid. #4/5 defenceman.
-Hejda shows his age. #5/6 defenceman.
-Wilson gets hurt and loses all his confidence. #6/7 defenceman.

Ekblad will be the target in this case.

What will probably happen:
-EJ plays lots of good defensive minutes. Little scoring from him. Top pairing defenceman.
-Barrie continues to impress and piles up points. Top 4 defenceman.
-Hejda is what he usually is. Top 4 defenceman.
-The rest of the the defencemen shouldn't see more than a third pairing shift.

Avs will probably narrowly miss out on the playoffs in this situation.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Barrie's already reliable defensively. And if he is comfortable playing on his off hand I wanted him tried next to EJ when Wilson gets hurt.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Our defensive top 4 is rock solid at two spots, 1st pairing RHD, and 2nd pairing LHD with EJ and Hejda, we know Barrie is good as the 2nd pairing RHD, we know Wilson is less than ideal as the 1st pairing LHD. What we don't know is if Barrie would be as good playing on his off hand next to EJ as be has been playing next to Hejda, not when prospects like Elliott, Siemens, Bigras and co will be ready for their spots.

But that still means we have just one spot we need to upgrade to solidify our D, Ryan Wilson's if we make a move to fill that spot than sweet we're set

Trade - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Benoit / Elliott / Siemens / Bigras

Is a damn good defense depending on how well that trade plugs that hole.

Now if it's Barrie that steps in next to EJ and excels then our hole moves to 2nd pairing RHD and at the end of last year Elliott looked to start to get it next to Hejda, if he can build on that playing with his old partner in crime, Duncan Siemens, the Hejda-Elliott pairing would be ready for second run.

The Defense really isn't far from being capable so I get sakic's willingness to sit tight and see how everyone responds this season while he works out extensions and watches the defensive prospects develop.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Barrie's already reliable defensively. And if he is comfortable playing on his off hand I wanted him tried next to EJ when Wilson gets hurt.

I'm sorry but what? Did you mean reliable as a defenseman, or reliable defensively? One of those is a matter of opinion, one is just simply not true at this point in his career.

I personally don't think it ever will be either, but that also is a matter of opinion.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roy is always a great interview. I'm hoping there's some more media coverage in Denver this season. Dater said there were usually only 5-6 reporters there to ask questions and Sacco's press conferences lasted 3-4 minutes with him saying the same BS every single time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I really enjoy listening to Roy, can't help but get fired up.

I feel better that they've acknowledged defense is an issue. Sakic mentioned it again in an interview done earlier in the day as well. With the previous regime it felt like they were either oblivious or unmotivated to do anything. There has to be a plan or vision of some sort going forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm sorry but what? Did you mean reliable as a defenseman, or reliable defensively? One of those is a matter of opinion, one is just simply not true at this point in his career.

I personally don't think it ever will be either, but that also is a matter of opinion.

He was last year. He's not a beast on the defensive side but next to Hejda he was absolutely reliable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He was last year. He's not a beast on the defensive side but next to Hejda he was absolutely reliable.

I assume by reliable we mean he can be relied upon to play good defense? That's what I meant by it initially. I just don't see anything suggesting he can be "relied" upon to play good defense in a top four role. His main defensive asset is he can skate the puck out of the zone, and handle it without turning it over.

Take him away from Hejda and it will get pretty obvious. Put him with EJ and you'll be putting a ball and chain around EJ's ankle and forcing him to hang back, and cover for Barrie's defensive zone mistakes.

If you look at the way EJ and Hejda (whom I consider the only above average defensive players on the backend) play D they are reading the play, and are moving to the point they need to be before the puck or man gets there. EJ knows when he needs to pin a guy against the boards because he knows he's not leaving someone else open. Hejda breaks up plays regularly because he saw them happening a second prior. They know when there's about to be a vulnerability in front or to the side of the net, and they start moving there before the play happens. This is how players that are good defensively play.

Barrie, Wilson and the rest of the team (haven't seen enough of Benoit) are simply watching what the forwards are doing, and then reacting after they do it, and that's not good for defensemen. This leads to them chasing guys around, just trying to contain them, or doing their best to block passing lanes. This isn't as bad as a defenseman just plain making gaffes out there, but over the course of a game, or a whole season this just gets eaten alive by a fast and/or good passing team.

If you're going to have a defenseman like Barrie on the top pairing, or playing a big role on the second pairing, he's got to be putting up at least 40-50 points. Even then it's debatable whether that's a good situation to be putting a guy like that on the top pairing. Liles was a 40-50 point defenseman playing average defense on the top and second pairing and I think most of us agree that wasn't an ideal situation.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I consider Barrie's ability to read the play and know where he needs to be moving to as one of the strongest parts of his game other than his skating and puckhandling. Kid was regularly putting himself in position to disrupt what the forwards where gunna do and he has a nifty stick. He can obviously still get overpowered and that will always be a concern, as it is with Enstrom and Boyle, but there's really not another aspect of his game I can gripe about.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly Barrie impressed me even more than shatty did in his time with the Avs and I was a massive Shattenkirk fan because of his intelligence.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I consider Barrie's ability to read the play and know where he needs to be moving to as one of the strongest parts of his game other than his skating and puckhandling. Kid was regularly putting himself in position to disrupt what the forwards where gunna do and he has a nifty stick. He can obviously still get overpowered and that will always be a concern, as it is with Enstrom and Boyle, but there's really not another aspect of his game I can gripe about.

Fair enough but I feel like we were watching different players. The Barrie I saw was behind on the play most of the time, but due to his skating he was able to recover and not get too far out of position.

On a scale from 1-10 defensively, if 5 is average, and Hejda is a 7 while EJ is an 8, I'd put Barrie at a 3 or 4 defensively. Easily below average IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad