Confirmed with Link: Patrick Roy Named Head Coach & VP of Hockey Operations Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
An awful lot of GM-type titles in this organization.

True but lets be honest here, Patrick Roy is the actual GM of the team. I think Sherman is gone next year and Billington will be doing a lot of the day to day work a GM needs to do. Which is what Elliotte Friedman predicted even before Roy was hired.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Kroenke must be wondering what the hell he got himself into. Just keeps digging into those pockets.

I say good. The more the better. More opinions, more thoughts on improvements, more ideas.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs make it official with the new coaches and Billington is the new assistant GM.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675051

No mention of Allaire.

Maybe they're waiting till he puts together his own staff of "assistants" to announce it, and the details of how it will work?

Surprised Mario Duhamel agreed to join the staff. I thought we heard he turned it down. You got to think he steps into Army's spot behind the bench next year. He didn't leave just to be a video coach.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Maybe they're waiting till he puts together his own staff of "assistants" to announce it, and the details of how it will work?

Surprised Mario Duhamel agreed to join the staff. I thought we heard he turned it down. You got to think he steps into Army's spot behind the bench next year. He didn't leave just to be a video coach.

It was Martin Laperriere that turned the Avs down for family reasons.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
The new openness of the organization should be refreshing, but I find it strange.

It's okay for the #1 pick. It's a unique situation. The Avs hold all the cards, there's nothing any other team or entity can do to change that.

Defusing the Seth Jones hype when he wasn't going to be the pick is the right move. Laying out the rest of the draft order? Not sure. But again, the Avs hold all the cards.

Roy telling the media he plans to move O'Reilly to wing? I mean, really, Mac isn't even drafted yet and he's made coaching decisions? Okay, maybe it's just banter. Whatever Roy is thinking is likely to change in camp, and in practice, and when the games are actually played. But I'd rather not hear that he's thinking about this stuff until he's actually coached both Mac and O'Reilly.

Things are always leaky around Roy. Both times the Avs flirted with him over the head coach gig media leaks came from Roy's end.

Patrick Roy is the most important person in the organization now, players aside (even if Sakic has final say, Roy is head coach as well and Sakic I suspect would defer to Roy frequently). Things should start getting less leaky. I don't want to follow the drama that would stem from a leaky organization.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Roy telling the media he plans to move O'Reilly to wing? I mean, really, Mac isn't even drafted yet and he's made coaching decisions? Okay, maybe it's just banter. Whatever Roy is thinking is likely to change in camp, and in practice, and when the games are actually played. But I'd rather not hear that he's thinking about this stuff until he's actually coached both Mac and O'Reilly.

Just want to talk about this point here. He's the coach he has to make these decisions. Yes he hasn't coached the team yet but knowing Roy he's probably watched all of last season plus the WC games last year where ROR played wing. And I hope he's making coaching decisions. He's the coach, he should have something planned for training camp rather then training camp comes around and Roy just wings it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped.

Two teams (Buffalo and Philly) have recently published very good looks "inside" their NHL draft war rooms. Would love to see the Avs do features like this in the future now that they're being more "transparent".

Although I feel like the Flyers video was almost too transparent.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Bumped.

Two teams (Buffalo and Philly) have recently published very good looks "inside" their NHL draft war rooms. Would love to see the Avs do features like this in the future now that they're being more "transparent".

Although I feel like the Flyers video was almost too transparent.

Pretty sure the Avs are back to closed doors again.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Why?

It's the off season and they pretty much have everything set for training camp, it's not like there is much going on right now.

Just wasn't a lot of information put out around free agency, or even with the extension to Duchene.

Obviously it's a slower time of year, but other than being so adamant about taking Mackinnon, they really haven't said much at all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just wasn't a lot of information put out around free agency, or even with the extension to Duchene.

Obviously it's a slower time of year, but other than being so adamant about taking Mackinnon, they really haven't said much at all.

There was info put out about those things. They said they weren't going to to do much of anything in free agency and they didn't. They also said a few times that Duchene's extension was a priority and that they were working on it.

I don't see any reason to believe the transparency will stop. I would chalk the lack of a draft video up to not getting around to planning it with the new regime cahnge, rather than not wanting to do it. They did one in Landy's draft year and that was the height of secrecy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Most teams around the league are silent right now because its the dead time of year. It doesn't have anything to do with the Avs closing the doors. There's nothing for them to say right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs (or Roy rather) does seem a bit more open compared to the previous regime. From telling us their draft order in advance to revealing the lines for next season.

If anything, the draft preview with the scouting meeting video from 2011 was very atypical of how Avs do things so it's not all that strange that we didn't see a repeat this year, especially since there were big changes in the front office two months before the draft.

Any NHL team will of course operate without much transparency, since it's not smart tipping your hand when it comes to most things. But I do think we can expect a little more willingness to communicate with the fans. Greg Sherman/Eric Lacroix/Pierre Lacroix basically never said anything of remote interest in the last four-five years.

The Flyers video was entertaining because it was so very Flyers. From the swearing to coveting size and mean streak in Morin.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy did a little half hour interview on Altitude last night. Just got a chance to watch the DVR. It looks like it was done post draft and free agency.

- he said he's learning a lot and he can already tell its different from juniors
- he learned a lot from Pat Burns, strategy wise. Demers and Crawford talked to players and Hartley was strategic. Picked up something from all.
- coaches need a good mix. You want to be fair to players, but demanding. He also wants to be demanding of himself.
- more teams want self motivated players but he will help motivate. Sometimes you think a player isn't motivated but they have just lost confidence. Have to communicate with the players.
- Even after he retired, he was ready to move into GM/coaching. Being just GM was boring to him. He wanted to connect with the players.
- a player is more emotional. As coach he has to be more calm with the intensity occasionally. You can't have your bench lose their focus because you couldn't keep you cool. It took him 4-5 years to figure it all out.
- his time as a player and the coaches he played for will be important for him when coaching. He stressed you need to communicate with the players, top thing in his mind. He also said you need patience with these young players and repeat things to them. Key is respect.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for the recap. I missed this as I'm out of town and couldn't set the DVR. Hopefully Altitude will rerun. Anyway, nice to hear some of Roy's philosophies, he has good ideas and I'm anxious to see what that is going to look like on the ice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Roy did a little half hour interview on Altitude last night. Just got a chance to watch the DVR. It looks like it was done post draft and free agency.

- he said he's learning a lot and he can already tell its different from juniors
- he learned a lot from Pat Burns, strategy wise. Demers and Crawford talked to players and Hartley was strategic. Picked up something from all.
- coaches need a good mix. You want to be fair to players, but demanding. He also wants to be demanding of himself.
- more teams want self motivated players but he will help motivate. Sometimes you think a player isn't motivated but they have just lost confidence. Have to communicate with the players.
- Even after he retired, he was ready to move into GM/coaching. Being just GM was boring to him. He wanted to connect with the players.
- a player is more emotional. As coach he has to be more calm with the intensity occasionally. You can't have your bench lose their focus because you couldn't keep you cool. It took him 4-5 years to figure it all out.
- his time as a player and the coaches he played for will be important for him when coaching. He stressed you need to communicate with the players, top thing in his mind. He also said you need patience with these young players and repeat things to them. Key is respect.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Too bad it doesn't look like they made this video available anywhere.

This first bolded part stood out to me the most. If he can have that kind of players coach ability to coax out the best in a higher maintenance type of player, AND still be demanding so he doesn't have the typical lax attitude that a players coach can instill on his team after a while, he could be an outstanding NHL coach.

Also like hearing him address the idea of balancing passion and intensity, with keeping things even keel behind the bench, so your team doesn't lose it's head. That's one of the few question marks I think he understandably had coming into this, and it's great to hear him talk about how it took him a while to understand this, but that he thinks he has now.

Just another example of why it's so important for NHL coaches to have many years experience before stepping behind the bench as a HC. I think Patrick hit the nail on the head when he talked about this being the reason so many star players don't end up good coaches, because they are afforded opportunities much sooner than most coaches, and they haven't put in the necessary time to learn all the little things that make a team tick. My guess is they probably don't really realize they're missing out on them, because they're the type of things you're not aware of until you've made your mistakes and learned from them at lower levels.

Really looking forward to seeing what Patrick can do behind the bench. He really has all the tools, smarts, and experience from both sides of the bench to be a great coach.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
maybe that's why radulov loved him lol

This fact has always given me a little more confidence in Roy when it comes to dealing with players. You have to be very good to get the most out of guys like that on a consistent basis.

You run into this in the military a lot. One kid thrives with one leader and fails with the next because the second leader isn't adaptable enough to coach and teach the guy with a more difficult attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad