Confirmed with Link: Patrick Roy leaves Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Yeah that's fair. Two of the best hockey players, Hall of Famers, captains and leaders ever...yep that's how every single player should play. Well no ****! It's super not realistic though.
Exactly... that's what made them captains, hall of famers, and leaders and one reason why Duchene isn't a captain and so far not a leading candidate for the Hall of Fame or a Stanley Cup winner.

There's a lot of selfish, me first, players in pro sports. That doesn't mean that coaches or teammates should accept it as OK.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty much confirms the prevailing notion that Roy's power was decreasing.

Hopefully the new coach knows not to play Beauch top-10 minutes amongst defensemen in the league

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not really surprised. I'm glad he didn't have more. I bet Duchene and Barrie would be gone.

Agreed. Sakic reportedly shutting Roy out of the Barrie negotiations if one of the smartest things he could have done in that situation.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ovi hasn't won a cup.

And Duchene didn't do that in a meaningless game.

The emotion isn't the problem. It's showing positive emotion in a situation where your team should be crying. It shows that Duchene, who is supposedly a diehard Avs fan who wants nothing but to see the Avs win, was thinking more about himself. I have no problem with emotion. Personally, I like to see players be human. But, that was not the right time at all for Duchene to get emotional and all happy and excited.

I'm not saying Duchene was right for that celebration, but Roy is as much to blame as Duchene for stuff like that. A good coach would have the team in the right mind set and playing together as a team and less indivudually something Roy couldn't do as a coach.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agreed. Sakic reportedly shutting Roy out of the Barrie negotiations if one of the smartest things he could have done in that situation.

He didn't shut him out. Sakic said they both wanted Barrie back next year.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Patrick Roy is perpetually simmering, ready to boil over at a moments notice. Having him involved in an arbitration would have been disastrous.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Someone (EJ Hradek, I think) reported Roy wanted to be involved in the Barrie negotiations but Sakic said no and kept him out of it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone (EJ Hradek, I think) reported Roy wanted to be involved in the Barrie negotiations but Sakic said no and kept him out of it.

I hadn't heard that, maybe you're right. However, I feel like there has been so much unchecked BS on Roy that the media has just latched onto and spread without vetting, I have a hard time believing anything anymore.

For instance, Chambers told EJ Hradek that the main reason Roy left was because they picked NCAA guys instead of Q guys at the draft. Now if you're EJ, and you have a beat writer telling you something like that about a team you don't pay attention to, then you start to pass that info along further. That's how most of this stuff starts.

It's how the Roy called Barrie a #5 Dman thing started. It's how the Avs are a cap team crap started. It's how the Landy is a questionable captain started.

Terrible reporting out of Denver, no one paying attention outside of Denver, and lazy copy cat journalism to try to keep up with the competition, and in this case sprinkle in a good amount of bias due to Roy's polarizing nature as a player. It's a recipe for disaster.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I hadn't heard that, maybe you're right. However, I feel like there has been so much unchecked BS on Roy that the media has just latched onto and spread without vetting, I have a hard time believing anything anymore.

For instance, Chambers told EJ Hradek that the main reason Roy left was because they picked NCAA guys instead of Q guys at the draft. Now if you're EJ, and you have a beat writer telling you something like that about a team you don't pay attention to, then you start to pass that info along further. That's how most of this stuff starts.

It's how the Roy called Barrie a #5 Dman thing started. It's how the Avs are a cap team crap started. It's how the Landy is a questionable captain started.

Terrible reporting out of Denver, no one paying attention outside of Denver, and lazy copy cat journalism to try to keep up with the competition, and in this case sprinkle in a good amount of bias due to Roy's polarizing nature as a player. It's a recipe for disaster.
Hradek has enough connections around the league that he doesn't need info from Chambers. After all, he was an NHL scout for a while. I don't think he made up the Barrie thing, and I definitely don't think he got it from Chambers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hradek has enough connections around the league that he doesn't need info from Chambers. After all, he was an NHL scout for a while.

I guarantee you he has very little if any connection to the Avs. No one does. Even Friedman and McKenzie pick up on Dater's rumours. That's how the whole Avs are gonna trade Duchene/Barrie thing got so big, and when Sakic came out and denied it, they backed off real quick saying they hadn't heard anything specific.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Did Roy probably overreact on Duchene... yeah probably. It probably shouldn't have been a public thing. Was Roy right... absolutely.

The only thing Roy has done right is walk away from coaching. If people who supported Roy as a coach are looking for any single positive coaching move by him, they're looking at wrong places. Publicly calling out your best forward for damn celebration is the least smart thing a coach could of done.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
AJ's tweets about Roy/Boedker are just crazy. Hopefully we won't be doing this anymore.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wish the media would stop with this crap. Just cherry picking everything to fit the anti Roy narrative. Roy was more focused on the details of two way defensive hockey than any Av coach since Hartley. He was constantly preaching it's importance, especially from his centerman.

Boedker's biggest asset was his speed. Roy told him to get on his horse and go when they got the puck, just like a lot of coach's would. They want to play up tempo, and transition as fast as possible. Boedker's not a defensive player, he's an offensive winger.

Of course there's a huge difference between the ultra defensive minded Tippet and Roy. There's a huge difference between Tippet and a lot of coaches.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I heard that story about Boedker months ago. AJ has stuck up for Roy more than most. The local media is doing the blame the players, just wait until they ruin another coach narrative. So that's why that is happening on twitter. It drives me nuts that they just think that 6 guys make a team. The Avs are building, getting some talent behind the bench improves the foundation but the local media is ready to crucify the core if they don't pull out a miracle.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wish the media would stop with this crap. Just cherry picking everything to fit the anti Roy narrative. Roy was more focused on the details of two way defensive hockey than any Av coach since Hartley. He was constantly preaching it's importance, especially from his centerman.

Boedker's biggest asset was his speed. Roy told him to get on his horse and go when they got the puck, just like a lot of coach's would. They want to play up tempo, and transition as fast as possible. Boedker's not a defensive player, he's an offensive winger.

Of course there's a huge difference between the ultra defensive minded Tippet and Roy. There's a huge difference between Tippet and a lot of coaches.

How is it crap and just an anti-Roy narrative when he's relaying information directly from one of the players? One of the biggest issues with this team breaking out was the forwards just blindly skating up the ice while one of our many slugs on D tries (and fails) to hit them with a stretch pass. You don't think there's something wrong with the coaching and system if he's telling those forwards to do that? It doesn't matter how fast MacKinnon, Duchene, and Boedker are when there's such a low chance of those plays actually working.

It wasn't all bad with Roy and there's a ton of hate for him on twitter but I think something such as this is a good example of why the Avs struggled so much with him as HC.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Boedker was also coming in mid-season too. There is an element of keeping it simple for him. Roy had his positives and negatives as a coach. Bednar will be no different. The core is no different. It is hard to be an elite team in the NHL and take the step out of rebuilding... the Avs are simply experiencing that.

The Roy era is over. The Bednar era beings. Time to move on.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How is it crap and just an anti-Roy narrative when he's relaying information directly from one of the players? One of the biggest issues with this team breaking out was the forwards just blindly skating up the ice while one of our many slugs on D tries (and fails) to hit them with a stretch pass. You don't think there's something wrong with the coaching and system if he's telling those forwards to do that? It doesn't matter how fast MacKinnon, Duchene, and Boedker are when there's such a low chance of those plays actually working.

It wasn't all bad with Roy and there's a ton of hate for him on twitter but I think something such as this is a good example of why the Avs struggled so much with him as HC.

The biggest issue by far was that none of the D men were good at outlet passes. The forwards are built to play with speed, while the D are built to play like a slow bundled up team to cover up their weaknesses. They were damned if they do, and damned if they don't, because the team wasn't built correctly.

They finally have Bigras and Z to help the breakout full time, and I'm sure these same people who cherry pick quotes and facts to illustrate the narrative they want, will point to the improved breakout, as being evidence of having a better breakout system.

More than any other winger they had by a mile (except when Duchene is on wing), Boedker is the guy you tell to get on his toes and get ready to fly up the ice in transition. He's also the new guy that you want to keep things simple with, and let him be comfortable. These obvious facts elude AJ because he's fixated on piling on the coach that isn't here anymore.

Unless he's got a quote from Roy telling Boedker to ignore his defensive responsibility, he's not telling him to ignore his defensive responsibility by telling one of the fastest players on the team to exit as fast as possible.

The Avs were never going to have a good breakout because the defenseman they had to start the breakout are poor breakout defenseman. EJ and Barrie are only good at skating it out. The rest of the group sucked at both.

The Roy era is over. The Bednar era beings. Time to move on.

Yes please. Pretty pretty please.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Boedker wasn't the only forward exiting like that though, although he was much faster than the veteran leaders. It wasn't just keeping it simple, it was the gameplan. Having poor passing defensemen probably meant that plan SHOULD have been altered, but it wasn't for any significant length of time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Boedker wasn't the only forward exiting like that though, although he was much faster than the veteran leaders. It wasn't just keeping it simple, it was the gameplan. Having poor passing defensemen probably meant that plan SHOULD have been altered, but it wasn't for any significant length of time.

So much is made out of such a small issue. The Pens routinely stretched out their forwards and D on the breakout, and they won the Cup. Lots of successful teams do it. They do it to draw the opposing forwards out of the zone, break up the neutral zone forecheck, and in the Avs case, keep their crap defenseman from being pounced on and having to make quick decisions under pressure.

Like I said, their D was not built to have a good breakout, no matter what system they used. There were too many poor defenseman, and poor in multiple facets of the game. They may wear burgundy sweaters, but they can't turn water into wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad