Line Combos: Patrick Marleau playing on Matthews line

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure h0w many hf people played competitively and how many are the analytics types on their computers. But my gut tells me most of people who understand Hyman's game used to play. Those who never played probably can't get it and thats ok too. Hyman would make top 9 (most 6) on every single team in the NHL. Every team needs a big strong fearless fast smart forechecker and backchecker who is strong on the puck and plays in the tough areas. He also keeps his control and does not take the dumb penalties that a lot of guys do who play like him.

He is better suited to playoff hockey where every inch of ice is earned and nothing is given. Which is why he was really the only Leaf who could defeat the Bruins. Without Hyman that series was over in 4 games. You people may not like the truth but we need 2 more Hyman's up front and 2 more on defence. Purely skilled teams often lose in playoffs because the game is reffed and played differently.

Spot on. :yo:

If Babcock could have a Hyman on every line he would be in heaven for the exact reasons you identified.

Since Matthews is a reliable 200 ft 2-way centre Babs is moving Hyman to help support the JT and Marner line defensively and create space for them and retrieve the puck.

Some might see this more as making the Matthews line more dangerous offensively with Marleau replacing Hyman, but the bigger underlying reason by Babcock for the switch is what Hyman can do for Johnny and Mitch in a supporting role particularly make it better defensively, when they go head to head against an opositon top offensive line. IMO

When Hyman positions himself in front the net creating havoc near the blue paint and screening the goalie, it gives the more talented players time and space to create and operate.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Spot on. :yo:

If Babcock could have a Hyman on every line he would be in heaven for the exact reasons you identified.

Since Matthews is a reliable 200 ft 2-way centre Babs is moving Hyman to help support the JT and Marner line defensively and create space for them and retrieve the puck.

Some might see this more as making the Matthews line more dangerous offensively with Marleau replacing Hyman, but the bigger underlying reason by Babcock for the switch is what Hyman can do for Johnny and Mitch in a supporting role particularly make it better defensively, when they go head to head against an opositon top offensive line. IMO

When Hyman positions himself in front the net creating havoc near the blue paint and screening the goalie, it gives the more talented players time and space to create and operate.

I had no problem with Hyman playing anywhere.

But you don't have to be a Hyman to retrieve pucks.

Not every line is going to play the same style.

Possession rush lines aren't going to bang and crash, they're going to finesse the game.

I could see Grundstrom fitting nicely on one of the top lines when he's got some experience behind him.

Johnsson showed while winning the playoffs MVP he can play when the going gets tough. Any other Leafs player show that kind of determination in their careers? Closest I can think would be Marleau during his time with the Sharks when he was targeted in the playoffs. Kept getting back on his feet and driving. Running players doesn't make you tough, getting up and driving the play after you've been run is more impressive.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Why do so many people just assume that anyone that has embraced analytics are people that have either A.) Never played hockey or B.) Never played at a decent level?

Sure analytics aren't perfect but they certainly do bring a lot of value to the sport and anyone that just blindly ignores them is definitely trailing behind.

I guess it just takes some people longer to adapt and open their minds to new ideas and ones they're innitially not comfortable with because they've lived their whole life thinking a certain way.

At first being a oldschool hockey person I too scoffed at analytics but moreso because I didn't really understand them and thus instantly defaulted into saying they were bunk.

The truth is most people that are blatantly against analytics are ones who either don't understand them or aren't open to the idea of listening and I know this because I used to be one.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad