Line Combos: Patrick Marleau playing on Matthews line

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau is still good... he just didn't work well with Kadri as a center.

Babcock's line combos last year were just horrible. Ironically, the Marleau - Kadri combo didn't actually seem all that bad because the other lines were constructed even worse. But they never looked good together in my opinion.

If Marleau plays with Matthews or Tavares, he'll look a lot better than he did last year.

Kadri and Brown are a great combo... and if you're going to have Hyman play on the left wing (he should be RW), then putting him with Kadri and Brown on a 3rd line would be a good spot for him.

Marleau and Kadri worked perfectly fine together once Komarov was replaced by Marner. Uncle Leo was the weak link holding that line back.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
As this is Babcock, I have my doubts that it will last longer than a period, but I felt from the beginning that Marleau was an excellent fit for Matthews - he gets into HDCF position better than almost anyone else in the league, but is a better finisher than Hyman. Matthews also scored 2 goals and had an assist in only 44 5v5 minutes with Marleau last year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
As this is Babcock, I have my doubts that it will last longer than a period, but I felt from the beginning that Marleau was an excellent fit for Matthews - he gets into HDCF position better than almost anyone else in the league, but is a better finisher than Hyman. Matthews also scored 2 goals and had an assist in only 44 5v5 minutes with Marleau last year.

That's a really small sample size.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Matthew's goal-scoring is elite, but the results of his play-making so far have been very average for a player in his calibre. But if we really look at who he's had to work with, it's Hyman and Nylander. Hyman scored at a lower rate then Dominic Moore or Frederik Gauthier. And Nylander is more of a solo-scorer on the rush. Boston knew... Matthews was the goal-scoring threat. Take out Matthews scoring and you were left with the 180th and 314th highest rate goal-scorers among NHL forwards. Matthews was frustrated because he had no alternatives. By placing Marleau
on with Matthews, gives him the highest goals/60 winger on the roster. I think if you give Matthews options, he'll use them. The playbook on how to play the Leafs will have to be torn up.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I would rather keep Hyman-Matthews-Nylander & Marleau-Kadri-Marner together tbh. Give Tavares some combination of Brown/Johnsson/Kapanen/Leivo. The net increase in pts will be greater throughout the lineup with such a structure. Further more, Tavares is a better mucker than Hyman is, which makes Hyman redundant on that line. It's also amusing to look back to Babcock's condescending tone when asked why he didn't put put Matthews and Marner together, only to use him with JT. But, then again, that came out of the mouth of a man who thought Hyman and Marleau leading all forwards in ice-time was the most conducive to winning, so I'm not surprised.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
so what?

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Brown-Goat-Kapanen

? Hyman is not gonna play on the 4th line may be Babs will run

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Goat-Kapanen

Leivo is not making this team, he couldn't do it last year and this year it's even deeper, Leivo has no chance

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would rather keep Hyman-Matthews-Nylander & Marleau-Kadri-Marner together tbh. Give Tavares some combination of Brown/Johnsson/Kapanen/Leivo. The net increase in pts will be greater throughout the lineup with such a structure. Further more, Tavares is a better mucker than Hyman is, which makes Hyman redundant on that line. It's also amusing to look back to Babcock's condescending tone when asked why he didn't put put Matthews and Marner together, only to use him with JT. But, then again, that came out of the mouth of a man who thought Hyman and Marleau leading all forwards in ice-time was the most conducive to winning, so I'm not surprised.

So give our 11 million dollar man scrubs

That is a FANTASTIC idea, I'm sure that will work fine

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Never liked Marleau with Matthews and Nylander on the pp. Maybe they'll be better 5 on 5 but I personally would rather just keep Marleau with Kadri the two fit well together.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
So give our 11 million dollar man scrubs

That is a FANTASTIC idea, I'm sure that will work fine

None of those players are scrubs. Nor are they any worse than what Tavares has typically played with his entire career. Tavares can inflate the offense of those players to a much higher degree than he can Marner or Hyman. Leivo is very similar to Matt Moulson, Tavares could get 20-30 goals out of him. Running two, uber stacked lines has diminishing returns.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Leivo is not making this team, he couldn't do it last year and this year it's even deeper, Leivo has no chance

At best there are 7 wingers on this team better than him. Neither Jooris, Ennis or Cracknell are better than he is. Grundstrom needs some time on the Marlies to get ready, probably half the season, and there are no other Marlies ready to make the jump. Like it or not, unless more wingers are added to the mix there's no reason for him to sit in the pressbox this year.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Tavares didn't come here to play with bottom-6'ers :laugh:

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
You can add up 2/3rd's of the Minnesota Wild's stats from last year and their Giveaways would equal Gardiner and Hainsey.
This isn't just player talent (or lack of it) but a fundamental difference in the team's play-styles. If he was healthy, does playing under
such a style bring out the strengths of Ennis? Leivo isn't a bad player, but will he fit into Babcock's Russian-5 play-style?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
None of those players are scrubs. Nor are they any worse than what Tavares has typically played with his entire career. Tavares can inflate the offense of those players to a much higher degree than he can Marner or Hyman. Leivo is very similar to Matt Moulson, Tavares could get 20-30 goals out of him. Running two, uber stacked lines has diminishing returns.

Leivo is the definition of a scrub, he literally did NOTHING when he was in the lineup, that doesn't mean he didn't score either, lots of guys don't score, he did NOTHING, score, hit, fight, block shots, PK he did nothing.

The others, I went to far calling them scrubs Brown is my favorite Leaf outside the core, that being said Tavares deserves better on his line, he deserves top talent

Reactions: supermann_98

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
marleau can still play, almost good for 30 goals and 50 points again last season...is a big body, can still skate, plays solid D...he will look good with tavares marner, matthews nylander, or kadri and whoever

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't particularly care who plays on Matthews' wing (nor Tavares or Kadri for that matter) .. I just want to see Babs' be willing to mix it up a big more often than we've seen until we get the right mix. I'd hate to see Marleau not work on that line but it takes an unnecessary chunk of time before a change is made.

This exactly

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Ahh man the Leivo is useless because Babcock didn't play him narrative lives on

In which case, those who think that, should be disappointed that management kept him on the team and took up a roster spot......and protected him, and re-signed him

Reactions: Critical91

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marleau is still good... he just didn't work well with Kadri as a center.

Babcock's line combos last year were just horrible. Ironically, the Marleau - Kadri combo didn't actually seem all that bad because the other lines were constructed even worse. But they never looked good together in my opinion.

If Marleau plays with Matthews or Tavares, he'll look a lot better than he did last year.

Kadri and Brown are a great combo... and if you're going to have Hyman play on the left wing (he should be RW), then putting him with Kadri and Brown on a 3rd line would be a good spot for him.
I think Hyman is going to do very well with Tavares and Marner. In a few more months we can see but I'm actually excited for that dynamic. I think he'll make a good compliment like a Kunitz did for Crosby. Hyman had 15 goals and 40 points last year.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I was under the impression that part of enticing John here was the potential to play with Marner! The left side has some interesting options,but Babs likely keeps Hyman in a top 6 role.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't forget that these lines might shuffle a bit. I'd much prefer Johnsson's tenacity and speed on Matthews wing. I like Marleau and he still has plenty of game left but I think I prefer him with Kadri and maybe a Kapanen.

We'll see. We still have 2 months before training camp.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I think it does n0t matter how we line things up there is just too much talent there not to lead league in goals for. However i do believe Marleau works better with Kadri. Put Brown with them and we got a solid 3rd line capable of beating any other 3rd line in league every night. Marleau provides speed and gets up ice quick for the breakout. Kadri has tons of skills to make plays and finish. Brown can play hard and finish and play solid defence.

I would much rather see someone who can get a puck with Nylander and Matthews. Matthews can get pucks but you don't want your superstar fighting in corners to get pucks. It will wear him down and with his bad back not a good combo. Hyman is a fighter. If you put him with Tavares and Marner wow you have a line that has everything needed to be #1. Nylander is a perimeter player who likes to hold the puck and pass. He will never be a guy who gets loose pucks and takes it from the opposition. This is the spot where we don't have the ideal guy right now so my guess is they will plug Kappy into that role at some point and maybe Johhnson too to try to find some chemistry on line #2.

I would try Johhnson first. I think he is a bit grittier in corners. I think he has a bit more skill than Hyman so he will finish a little better. Again a top flight line #2. But the new guy they signed will get shot first with Kadri and then with Matthews before Johhnson takes over.

4th line should play much less this season. Kappy and Johhnson will start on it. I think they are planning to start the year with Goat at centre on 4th line. Again that is only in pencil and assumes he has a solid camp but my understanding is he was told he was going to get his shot to start season if he came to camp ready to go. Same thing with Leivo he was told if he came to camp ready to go he would start season with team. Again this is from Babs to those players and I heard it multiple times from a few different Marlie dads that i know at games at the Ricoh. They have signed guys to compete too. My guess is Goat wont last long as he is too slow and he will traded at some point. This is why Altonen left for KHL although press did not pick up on it. The more i see i realize toronto press really does not dig very deep as this would have been very easy to get to bottom of.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I was under the impression that part of enticing John here was the potential to play with Marner! The left side has some interesting options,but Babs likely keeps Hyman in a top 6 role.
Yeah. Tavares will get Marner as a winger, and if that doesn't work they'll switch to Nylander. Don't see a chance for something else, even though I kind of want Marner with Kadri so we can almost always have that elite talent on the ice.

Ahh man the Leivo is useless because Babcock didn't play him narrative lives on

In which case, those who think that, should be disappointed that management kept him on the team and took up a roster spot......and protected him, and re-signed him
He's got a point that Leivo doesn't PK though. And I didn't think he was as good last season, although he mostly got fourth line minutes. He never really performed on a fourth line, he just did great when moved into the top nine.

But yeah. Sometimes it feels like people don't think players contribute if it doesn't show up in the box score. Mentioning fights as if that's more important than puck retrievals, playmaking, or transition ability is quite telling.

Put Brown with them and we got a solid 3rd line capable of beating any other 3rd line in league every night.
They would not play against third lines.

But the new guy they signed will get shot first with Kadri and then with Matthews before Johhnson takes over.
Who? Jooris? He will hopefully never touch the Kadri line. Can't see him be any more than 13th forward for us. Or do you mean Lindholm? He's a center and not a winger, and I can't see him further up than the fourth line either.

He will never be a guy who gets loose pucks and takes it from the opposition.
You are aware that Nylander ranked top five in the whole league at just exactly taking the puck from the opposition, if you account for ice time and rink bias.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad