Line Combos: Patrick Marleau playing on Matthews line

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If what Mike Babcock said was true we will be seeing Patrick Marleau on Matthews along with Nylander. Since this past season Marleau was able to record 27 goals and 20 assists for 47 points, what can we expect to see from him if he plays all 82 games with Matthews?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so what?

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Brown-Goat-Kapanen

? Hyman is not gonna play on the 4th line may be Babs will run

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Goat-Kapanen

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
It’s an interesting dynamic, because they lose some of that dump and chase jam they had with Hyman. Instead, they’ll be able to create more on the rush with Marleau, as long as Father Time doesn’t slow his wheels down, and we could see some pretty chemistry at top speed if they get some open ice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
so what?

Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Brown-Goat-Kapanen

? Hyman is not gonna play on the 4th line may be Babs will run

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Goat-Kapanen
Babcock said he would have Hyman on the line with Tavares and Marner.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Babcock said he would have Hyman on the line with Tavares and Marner.

If true and I had to guess I would assume Babcock would do

Brown-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Goat-Leivo

I doubt Matthews-Nylander are gonna go without a "GudPro" on their line.

I would just friggen put

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander

with Johnsson and Nylander flying with speed from LW and RW with Matthews arriving right in time to snipe.

:yo:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'd expect another 20 goal, 40 point season or a slight decline. He is what he is now.

Reactions: 7even

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I believe without a doubt Babcocks meeting with Matthews had to do partly with who he has been playing. Matthews hasnt played a 5 on 5 shift in his career without Hyman, and then out of no where in the summer Babs says Marleau will be moved up with Matthews? Hopefully Babs actually does the change.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I believe without a doubt Babcocks meeting with Matthews had to do partly with who he has been playing. Matthews hasnt played a 5 on 5 shift in his career without Hyman, and then out of no where in the summer Babs says Marleau will be moved up with Matthews? Hopefully Babs actually does the change.
Was it not reported that one reason why Marleau agreed to sign in Toronto was so he could eventually play on the same line with Matthews?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, I’m not sure we should expect anything more than what Marleau has done the the last few seasons - I’d about 20-25ish goals and 40-45ish points.

It's intriguing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnsson supplanted him sometime during the season.

Yeah, that’s how I see things shaking down

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd be good with another modest increase or even no regression. Even if the line's production increases, a healthy Matthews should score more goals than Kadri. Marner might be a slightly better playmaker than Nylander, but that's close. Only so much offence to go around beyond a certain point. There's also PP to consider. Another regular season of a full 82 games would be big as well. Increased talent and expectations also might mean more line juggling in game.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Keep in mind it's July; things will change, that much is certain.

Hyman may find himself on the 3rd line with Kadri and Brown, playing a true shutdown game, and letting Matthews and Nylander feast on weaker lines.

Still, I like Hyman with Tavares, two guys who can play a heavy game down low, and Marner being so shifty, he can carry the puck in and look for seams or dump it in.

So many options up front it's almost not fair.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
matthews with nylander, and tavares with marner will play a lot and see a lot of shifts, and will play against top 2 lines quite often...babcock likes to balance his offense, and also have strong defense on his top lines...it will only be hyman, brown, or marleau taking these 2 spots opening night, maybe it changes and some1 else earns it later on

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
It’s an interesting dynamic, because they lose some of that dump and chase jam they had with Hyman. Instead, they’ll be able to create more on the rush with Marleau, as long as Father Time doesn’t slow his wheels down, and we could see some pretty chemistry at top speed if they get some open ice.

This should be a good example of things to come!

Reactions: Eb

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The only line Marleau should be on is a fishing line. He was *10th* in ES point production -- below Matt Martin. He was extremely weak. The fact that we're paying him $6.5m for 2 more years of decline is horrifying. Probably the biggest mistake Lou made, and it cost us JVR, who is muuuuuch better, even at half a million more. Hopefully Dubas can dump him before other GMs realise he's not a good player any longer. Every play just died on his stick last season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't particularly care who plays on Matthews' wing (nor Tavares or Kadri for that matter) .. I just want to see Babs' be willing to mix it up a big more often than we've seen until we get the right mix. I'd hate to see Marleau not work on that line but it takes an unnecessary chunk of time before a change is made.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Don't like it.

They were never on the same page when playing the PP together.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If true and I had to guess I would assume Babcock would do

Brown-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Goat-Leivo

I doubt Matthews-Nylander are gonna go without a "GudPro" on their line.

I would just friggen put

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander

with Johnsson and Nylander flying with speed from LW and RW with Matthews arriving right in time to snipe.

:yo:

He also said Marleau-Matthews-Nylander

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Was it not reported that one reason why Marleau agreed to sign in Toronto was so he could eventually play on the same line with Matthews?

I remember seeing an interview with Babcock where Babs said that he told Marleau during negotiations that he didn't know which centre he would be playing with. Now, it's possible that Marleau hoped to be playing with Matthews but it doesn't appear to have been promised to him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seem to remember Marleau having a very tough February, where it looked like he suddenly remembered he was 38-39 and started playing like Jason Blake, streaking off the wing, low percentage shot. I'd probably rotate Johnsson, Kapanen in there for a spell too just to mix up the combos.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The only line Marleau should be on is a fishing line. He was *10th* in ES point production -- below Matt Martin. He was extremely weak. The fact that we're paying him $6.5m for 2 more years of decline is horrifying. Probably the biggest mistake Lou made, and it cost us JVR, who is muuuuuch better, even at half a million more. Hopefully Dubas can dump him before other GMs realise he's not a good player any longer. Every play just died on his stick last season.

After jul. 1st next year he only costs $1.5 in real money to any trading partner. Should be able to return him to San Jose of one last hurrah if they want.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
ahh at the beginning I wanted Marleau to be in place of hyman but now I am not sure. Marleau's offensive skills are nearly dead.

At this point Hyman > marleau ( in terms of O at least)

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Marleau is still good... he just didn't work well with Kadri as a center.

Babcock's line combos last year were just horrible. Ironically, the Marleau - Kadri combo didn't actually seem all that bad because the other lines were constructed even worse. But they never looked good together in my opinion.

If Marleau plays with Matthews or Tavares, he'll look a lot better than he did last year.

Kadri and Brown are a great combo... and if you're going to have Hyman play on the left wing (he should be RW), then putting him with Kadri and Brown on a 3rd line would be a good spot for him.

Reactions: JayDog17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad