Patrick Marleau hit to head against Bryan Rust (No DoPS Discipline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not even a few times. It's been said, "I agree with the DoPS" because it's easy to agree to a body of authority. There's very few here - outside of you NOW - saying that they would concur that Marleau got more chest/shoulder than he did head. When you objectively use your eyes to watch the replay from all angles, the head is the principal point. It's not even a debate.

Like hell it's not even a debate. All you have to do is look at the angle that trails Marleau and you can see clear as day that what DoPS said is accurate. The bulk of the contact and the main point of contact is the chest and shoulder where the head contact came on Marleau's back. It's easy to agree to a body of authority when they actually use logic and reasoning to come to the correct conclusion. It's people like you who just want to ignore the rest of the body contact that occurred to suit your crappy narrative.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
DoPS says it's a clean hit. Majority of neutral fans say it's a clean hit. Hell, majority of Pens fans agree it was a clean hit.

Can the argument stop there? If you're in the vast minority of an argument such as this, you're likely wrong.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If Rust plays, I'm fine with the No suspension.
WHO disagrees with this??????

comic-words-collection-014.jpg

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
He needs to keep his head up. Ask Eric Lindros how that worked out for him

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Man oh man if only we could switch the jerseys around and see what people's reaction would've been...

So does Marc Savard in that case. And basically every other player in the league who's been concussed because of avoidable hits to the head. Hell, why even crack down on these hits at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Man oh man if only we could switch the jerseys around and see what people's reaction would've been...

It has nothing to do with the team, or the player. Why would people dislike Rust. He's a feel good story, hasn't been in the league for long, has no reputation among the fans.

It just wasn't a very bad hit. It was unfortunate, but not malicious or predatory. It deserved a 2 minute penalty, and it was given a 2 minute penalty. Time to move on.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
It has nothing to do with the team, or the player. Why would people dislike Rust. He's a feel good story, hasn't been in the league for long, has no reputation among the fans.

It just wasn't a very bad hit. It was unfortunate, but not malicious or predatory. It deserved a 2 minute penalty, and it was given a 2 minute penalty. Time to move on.
I think whether it deserved a 2 minute penalty or not is actually debatable.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I think whether it deserved a 2 minute penalty or not is actually debatable.

I'm basing it off of the play. At full speed, it looks bad. I wasn't surprised it was a penalty, and I wasn't all that upset, even though I'm a Sharks fan. Refs don't have the benefit of watching the slow-mo, so I figure they'd call that 100/100 times given the circumstances (tie game, not in the last 5-10 minutes, etc).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

So does Marc Savard in that case. And basically every other player in the league who's been concussed because of avoidable hits to the head. Hell, why even crack down on these hits at all?

Every team and their fans has been on both sides of this type of debate. Not every questionable hit is that bad and all reasonable fans realize that.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
I'll go ahead and be the only person to speak the truth on this thread.

1. I think Marleau wasn't intending to hit Rust in the head, Rust had his head down.

2. Either way if it was reversed I'd be livid.

3. That out of the way - It's the Stanley Cup Finals. I DON'T GIVE A ****. I want to ****ing win. If it takes the league turning a blind eye on a hit that was borderline - I tell you this I wont miss a single night of sleep or feel the slightest bit of guilt, if by some miracle this is the year I finally get to see my Sharks finally lift the cup.

4. And honestly, all you Penguins fans feel the same way.

5. For years the Sharks we're too soft, now they're too hard?? Which is it? Guess what see point 3 again - it's the friggin FINAL!!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
All Marleau had to do was bend down a bit and there would have been no head contact.
Would have been a devastating hit.

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/737470233141760000

Rust made himself vulnerable here.
But Marleau could have avoided the head.

If you watch his skates, Marleau purposely jumps (heel come off the ground) to increase the force of the headshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAB_I3HOKUE&list=PL4Yp_5ExVAU3W6ayG56QUw900Ku35cBpY

If you watch where Marleau is coming from .... he's skating across the ice from the bench so it would be hard for Rust to notice him.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
All Marleau had to do was bend down a bit and there would have been no head contact.

If you watch his skates, Marleau purposely jumps (heel come off the ground) to increase the force of the headshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAB_I3HOKUE&list=PL4Yp_5ExVAU3W6ayG56QUw900Ku35cBpY

If you watch where Marleau is coming from .... he's skating across the ice from the bench so it would be hard for Rust to notice him.

Do you not think that if this were true a suspension would've been handed out?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Do you not think that if this were true a suspension would've been handed out?

Player Safety is 100% objective ?
No, I don't think they are.

In this situation I think Marleau can return to playing when Rust is able to return.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

That's not a jump...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015

In this situation I think Marleau can return to playing when Rust is able to return.

I'm not saying it is, I'm pointing out that you're seeing something almost nobody else saw. He didn't jump.

Not to mention, pretty sure Rust is playing tonight, lol.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

How I hate this ******* argument! In football the ball is usually played at belt level or higher so keep your head up is very relevant. In hockey the puck is played almost exclusively at foot level in constant motion. Sometimes your head has to be looking down logic would say.

A better argument is to be aware of your surroundings, both offensively and defensively.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I would not categorize it as a jump (leave feet prior to contact), or even a launch (feet leave ice after due to upward movement and often due to the contact), just that he did throw the check including pumping his legs...pretty hard to throw a check without doing that.

But he did not simply brace for the hit. He pumped into him, and did so while catching a considerable amount of head. I don't see where the head is not the principle point of the contact, unless no point was the principle point.

Anyway I have nothing against Marleau. He is one of the good guys, and what he did was legal for most of his career.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In Kerry Fraser's and Puck Daddy's it was not. Both said it was not a suspendable hit. Kerry Fraser even basically said it was borderline being even 2 minutes, though he didn't quibble with it too much. Did you read either link I posted?

You keep saying he should have been suspended. Why are you a more objective and knowledgeable judge of this than either one of those individuals? Care to explain why anyone should take your word over theirs?

Can ANY Penguin fan explain why both of those impartial and knowledgeable individuals said it was not suspension worthy, yet you are still clamoring for one? Other than a simple desire for vengeance, which has nothing to do with the rules?

Uh, you do know the history between Lemieux and Fraser, right?

Impartial? Sure...

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

How about Kerry Fraser and Puck Daddy? Are they heavily biased towards the Sharks? Does Kerry Fraser not know what a penalty or dirty hit looks like? Because both of them flat out stated that nothing like what you describe happened. Both said it was in no way a suspendable hit, and Fraser even said it was somewhat debateable if it was even a penalty.

But you are more objective and a better judge of game film than either one of them?

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Uh, you do know the history between Lemieux and Fraser, right?

Impartial? Sure...

Because Fraser would compromise his integrity and risk his job because of some old grudge versus the Penguins' owner, and make a blog post in order to give the Sharks an unfair advantage? Riiiiight.

How about Puck Daddy? Is he a secret Sharks homer too?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

They shouldn't.

It takes accountability away from the players, and encourages players to put themselves in dangerous positions.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
They shouldn't.

It takes accountability away from the players, and encourages players to put themselves in dangerous positions.

Well the puck is on the ice most of the time and if it's at your feet you need to look down.

By not suspending these hits (some can't be helped for sure but in this case it could have) it takes the accountability away from the players and encourages hits to the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad