Signing(s): Patrick Mahomes signs extension (10 years, $503 million)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Given he had arguably the best start to a career of any QB in NFL history (50 TD season in year 1, MVP, SBMVP, etc) i can't say he doesn't deserve it but holy f*** that number is jawdropping.

The Chiefs are essentially paying him out the ass now with the assumed logic of he continues to ball the f*** out and doesn't get a second chance to take them to the cleaners and increases in the league's salary cap helps cushion the blow. Not the worst strategy to have honestly.

This is absolutely going to flip the QB market on its head though. Dak Prescott reading this news be like;

giphy.gif

+ Watson & Jackson

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
That is a ton of money but if anyone deserves to get paid like that it's him. On the plus side they won't have his potential contract status hanging over them for some time

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Best part: Mahomes is 34 when this deal expires. Which means he probably cashes in again for another insane amount of coin depending on what the market looks like in 2031.

AND THEN you take in he hasn't signed any endorsement deals yet (Mahomes himself said he didn't want to sign any in his rookie year due to "distractions" but in reality it's probably he had the confidence to bet on himself)

Kid putting that marketing degree to damn good use. He very well could be a billionaire by time his career's over.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Oh now I've read it all...this signing is actually going to hurt the Chief's chances of Super Bowls. Missouri isn't the nicest place so this is desperation (Pat's a Red Raider thru and thru, loyal to the bone...do you have any idea where Texas Tech is located???). LOL. Keep grasping at straws. Everybody understands that rookie QB deals are fantastic and when you have to pay up, it's going to mean shaving some elsewhere. You all don't think the Chiefs have been preparing for this moment? You all honestly believe this deal is structured in a way to make fielding a competitive team impossible? He's still got two years left on his current deal for heaven's sake and who knows how this thing is structured. Tyreke Hill, Kareem Hunt, Damien Williams and Mecole Hardman weren't exactly big name stars when they were drafted. You pay Mahomes because if there's a current QB who elevates the athletes around him to the next level, it's Pat.
It’s just fear. They’re trying to find anyway to convince themselves the Chiefs arent going to steamroll the league for the next decade.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This signing will likely hurt the Chiefs winning more SBs but the Chiefs didn't have any leverage really. Mahomes is as good as they come.

Pretty much, but his extension doesn't even kick in till 2022 so they have two more years (assuming we have football this year) to win with him on his rookie deal.

And while it may be tougher to win with an expensive QB after that, a true franchise guy like Mahomes will keep you in the mix at least. Green Bay and the Saints haven't won SB's true, but they've been relevant with a ton of 12-4 seasons in the mix, it's up to management to compensate for the cap issues an expensive QB provide.

Reactions: Amerika

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Mahomes has GOAT potential. You pay whatever you need to keep that when you have it. This is basically the "Would Gretzky get $18 million in UFA" thread in practice.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Hot damn this is crazy imagine when a player will be worth more than the team on a total dollar deal. Doesn't seem like it will be too long now.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They had no choice but to essentially give him a blank cheque, but if you're going to do that with any player... may as well be the soon to be 25 year old who has an MVP trophy and just led your franchise to its first title ever.... all in 2 seasons a s a starter.

*5th title ever (3 AFL titles, 2 Superbowl wins)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Pretty much, but his extension doesn't even kick in till 2022 so they have two more years (assuming we have football this year) to win with him on his rookie deal.

And while it may be tougher to win with an expensive QB after that, a true franchise guy like Mahomes will keep you in the mix at least. Green Bay and the Saints haven't won SB's true, but they've been relevant with a ton of 12-4 seasons in the mix, it's up to management to compensate for the cap issues an expensive QB provide.
Being in the mix is all you can ever hope for. Having a star QB makes every season feel like there is hope. This contract will allow KC to enter each season with the comfort of knowing they have the hardest position to fill in all of football (maybe all of pro sports) nailed down year after year after year.

Fans have let the Patriots break their expectations. Brady is the only big name QB in NFL history to routinely take smaller contracts, and he only did that because he married a supermodel wife who made a lot more money than he did. Brady also decided he was done taking discounts this season and went for the big money in Tampa Bay. If you want to have your stud QB beyond their rookie deal, it's going to be super expensive. There is no way around it.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
which was the point i was getting at. putting that much cap in any 1 player drastically hurts the team's title hopes because you lose crucial depth at other positions as a result. It's not just overpaying the Flacco's of the world.

Manning with the Colts - 1 title and always highest paid
Rodgers - 0 titles since getting the record setting deals, 1 prior
Brees - 0 titles since cashing in, 1 prior
Wilson - 0 titles since cashing in, 1 prior
Matt Ryan - 0 titles and back in obscurity
Big Ben - 0 titles since cashing in, 2 prior

Hell, its why everyone got so pissed off everytime Brady took low money or restructured to clear more space, because it in essence gave the Patriots an advantage of having an elite/the best QB and not losing cap space to paying him.
Great. Now if you're the GM of the Chiefs, what do you do with Mahomes? Do you let him walk? Do you trade him? Are you just assuming you'll be able to draft another guy like him?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jerry Jones is going to Murder someone

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

They kept saying take care of Dak before Mahomes gets some ridiculous contract that his agent can use as a recent comparable to work around.
This deal for Mahomes popping up out of nowhere is a nice thing to see. It also highlights how different other teams do business. Jerry Jones likes to negotiate his contracts through the media. The Chiefs did not.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This deal for Mahomes popping up out of nowhere is a nice thing to see. It also highlights how different other teams do business. Jerry Jones likes to negotiate his contracts through the media. The Chiefs did not.
It is more Mahomes deserved a blank check and to be the highest-paid player in the league. All that was figuring out was term. I'm no Cowboys fan and don't hold Jerry Jones in high-regard as a football man, but I do get haggling with Elliott and Prescott (and don't get letting Byron Jones go, I would have paid him over Zeke).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Signing a contract after a super bowl MVP win is nice negotiating help.

Von Miller got the largest defensive contract in history at the time back in 2016
Pretty nice chip to bring into the negotiation.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Super Bowl MVP and SB ring in year 2, League MVP in year 1. 50 touchdowns in his first full season as a starter (good for 3rd on the all time list, easily the best for a first year starter) and he's only 24 to boot.

You had to figure his extension was going to be massive but that's just nuts. A well earned type of nuts, but still nuts to read lol.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Barnwell with a good actual breakdown. This deal isn’t nearly as absurd as the raw numbers suggest. When you dig deeper, it is obviously still an record breaking deal but it doesn’t handicap the Chiefs at all. Do I expect the average fans of other teams with an axe to grind to actually research the deal instead of just crying about how large it is and how there’s no way the Chiefs can field a team paying Mahomes this much? Not really but...

Is Patrick Mahomes' $500 million extension actually team-friendly? Barnwell answers 8 questions

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It’s just fear. They’re trying to find anyway to convince themselves the Chiefs arent going to steamroll the league for the next decade.
the Chiefs aren't going to steamroll the league at all. They will be good but I doubt they win more than 1 or 2 more Super Bowls in the next 10 years. Just the nature of the league.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Barnwell with a good actual breakdown. This deal isn’t nearly as absurd as the raw numbers suggest. When you dig deeper, it is obviously still an record breaking deal but it doesn’t handicap the Chiefs at all. Do I expect the average fans of other teams with an axe to grind to actually research the deal instead of just crying about how large it is and how there’s no way the Chiefs can field a team paying Mahomes this much? Not really but...

Is Patrick Mahomes' $500 million extension actually team-friendly? Barnwell answers 8 questions

$141 Mill is fully guaranteed. So, that is typical of elite players in that they get 3 years average salary fully guaranteed.

I would expect that sometime after year 5 of this contract, it will get re-structured to give Mohomes more guaranteed money, thus allowing KC to stretch more money into the future. Similar to Brees when he re-structured.

QB is the only position in the NFL where you expect the team to cave from their typical stance of no re-negotiation of contracts. One thing to say that to a CB, LB, WR, OL, but your QB? No chance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's not so much a problem when the cap goes up the way it does.

The only downside for Mahomes is that the market will pass over him multiple times in 10 years.

Reactions: Troy McClure

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Breakdown:

mahomes.JPG

Interesting adjustment to move the guarantees into Roster Bonuses instead of the usual up-front massive signing bonus.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I suspect this only ends up being a 5-year extension. In 2027, there will be no more guaranteed money left and his cap hit jumps from $42 million to $60 million. I'd imagine that both sides will want to re-structure at that point.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's not so much a problem when the cap goes up the way it does.

The only downside for Mahomes is that the market will pass over him multiple times in 10 years.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown over the cap years of how the QB % of payroll/cap has evolved vs other positions.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I suspect this only ends up being a 5-year extension. In 2027, there will be no more guaranteed money left and his cap hit jumps from $42 million to $60 million. I'd imagine that both sides will want to re-structure at that point.

It's probably a year or two less then that (assuming you mean 5 year extension on top of the 2 years remaining on his rookie deal), so 2025 or 2026. Looks like the contract generally locks in guaranteed money a year or two ahead of time as it progresses.

Reactions: KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad