Proposal: Patrick Laine trade?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think Gaudreau would elevate Dubois even more.
Short term but you dont think if Dubois and Laine find chemistry they could grow into something special?
With Gaudreau you could hide some of his issues forming a line like Gaudreau-Dubois-Anderson here if Anderson isnt going the other way in these scenario's but overall if Jarmo actually can swing a deal for this caliber of player I hope its Laine

Reactions: thebus88

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Gaudreau is a lite version of Panarin so I am not opposed to it, he should be a good fit to PLD, but Laine certainly has more excitement to him as he’s also a goal scorer we need

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I like the idea of Laine with Dubois and there is that potential for them to be a top line for many years. I don’t think he needs that Panarin-type puck carrying distributor. We saw PLD turn things up a notch in the playoffs and was able to transition the play 200 feet single handedly. Having another big body with him, and one that can score anywhere in the offensive zone, would make that line hard to handle. PLD can do the dirty work if we are really concerned with Laine’s effort level. We have never had a player that can finish quite like Laine.

(As a side note, I would be interested in any of WPG’s big five forwards.)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Short term but you dont think if Dubois and Laine find chemistry they could grow into something special?
With Gaudreau you could hide some of his issues forming a line like Gaudreau-Dubois-Anderson here if Anderson isnt going the other way in these scenario's but overall if Jarmo actually can swing a deal for this caliber of player I hope its Laine

I suppose if the price is similar and we have some reason to think Laine will become more mature, then I'm listening. I still probably say that Gaudreau is just a plain old better player.

Gaudreau's biggest issue, by the way, is that every opponent knows the key to shutting down the Flames is to shut him down. Monahan is an inept player and can't do anything if he isn't being spoon-fed passes in the slot. If you can make Gaudreau have a bad game then the Flames will have a bad game. It doesn't help that Gaudreau is tiny, but every player can struggle if he's being double and triple teamed. The Jackets come out ahead if opponents try to double up Gaudreau and leave space for Dubois.

Gaudreau is a lite version of Panarin so I am not opposed to it, he should be a good fit to PLD, but Laine certainly has more excitement to him as he’s also a goal scorer we need

I think we get more of a goals boost from adding ace playmakers. The Jackets are positively littered with former 25 and 30 goal scorers, the goal scorers are obviously not looking so hot right now but I'd argue that's more of a function of playmaking talent. Gaudreau will have Dubois and Bjorkstrand back up over 30 goals. And don't forget that Gaudreau scored 36 goals just a year ago, he's got a fantastic shot.

I like the idea of Laine with Dubois and there is that potential for them to be a top line for many years. I don’t think he needs that Panarin-type puck carrying distributor. We saw PLD turn things up a notch in the playoffs and was able to transition the play 200 feet single handedly. Having another big body with him, and one that can score anywhere in the offensive zone, would make that line hard to handle. PLD can do the dirty work if we are really concerned with Laine’s effort level. We have never had a player that can finish quite like Laine.

(As a side note, I would be interested in any of WPG’s big five forwards.)

Yeah I was absolutely blown away by how good Dubois was in transition. I never imagined he'd be that good at it. That does make getting a transition guy less important.

Are folks expecting Laine to become a better player? Because so far his name recognition seems to greatly outpace his actual performance as a player. I don't think he's generally been an elite player like Gaudreau. Some facts behind that:

Gaudreau is a year away from a 99 point season, Laine has so far topped out at 70.

Take note of Gaudreau's IPP or individual points percentage. This is the ratio of a players points to the amount of goals his team scores when he is on the ice, it can tell you who is really carrying. Gaudreau's is off the charts, averaging over 80%, which is a number only McDavid and Kucherov rival. Laine only gets in on about 60-66% of the action, and if you know the Jets you know that Nik Ehlers runs that line.

Gaudreau is obviously the better scorer at 5v5, and I don't buy the idea that Laine would be better on the PP. This is a bit uncertain because Laine might have a whole lot more in him that we haven't seen, but he is coming off a pretty bad year on the PP. Laine scored 2.9 primary P/60 on the PP, which is Blue Jackets level. He definitely missed Big Buff, who was always an underrated PP QB and could open up lanes better than all but a few QBs in the league. It's tough to tell with powerplays because so much scoring depends on how good the overall powerplay is, but from the IPPs (and my eye) the Jets can beat you in a lot of different ways and a lot more happens with Laine just standing there, while Gaudreau is the biggest focal point on the Flames.

I've been so encouraged by Dubois' improvement in 5v5 transition, but he's still not a very good PP player, I'd want someone to come in who can not only shoot the puck but handle the puck and run the play, just take over the whole darn unit.

Reactions: rotsbu and cslebn

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I think Gaudreau would elevate Dubois even more.
I just envision Dubois & Laine as a 2 headed wrecking ball in front of the net & in the corners. A 6'3" center & a 6'5" RW, both under 23, would be a thing of beauty. Part of the allure of Lafreniere for me was that him being physical & matched with Pierre & he's only 6'1". I have nothing against Gaudreau, but I envision him as I do Cam, a speed guy that stays on the outside that you hope gets a few break aways every game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just envision Dubois & Laine as a 2 headed wrecking ball in front of the net & in the corners. A 6'3" center & a 6'5" RW, both under 23, would be a thing of beauty. Part of the allure of Lafreniere for me was that him being physical & matched with Pierre & he's only 6'1". I have nothing against Gaudreau, but I envision him as I do Cam, a speed guy that stays on the outside that you hope gets a few break aways every game.

That doesn't seem right to me. The guy that plays like Cam does now is Laine, although of course he isn't quick. He's a lurker that doesn't get many touches and instead plays quick strike shooter. Laine is a better playmaker than Cam, he can find passes no problem and that part of his game has improved a lot in the last couple years. He's not a physical player, not a "wrecking ball" anywhere on the ice. In Winnipeg at least he's a frustratingly stationary player, he'll park in the high slot or dot and let others do the work. You'll forget he's 6'5 pretty quick because he doesn't play like he is. Gaudreau is like a waterbug version of Panarin. He's not as capable of leveraging the puck free in battles, but other than that he's always in the action, constantly working the puck towards the net and feeding the open man. His agility is supernatural and he'll undress opponents all the way to the net.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Still don’t understand all the Laine hate.

Not sure how thus turned into Gaudreau vs Laine, completely different players that are both great offensively and would look good next to Dubois.

Why not both?

Reactions: Toe Pick

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Not sure how thus turned into Gaudreau vs Laine, completely different players that are both great offensively and would look good next to Dubois.

Why not both?

If we're in on spending multiple 1sts for a player of need, just O/S Barzel

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Why not both?

Laine could help this team immediately as could Gaudreau. The problem is the cost of obtaining these players (assets plus potential cap). Some of the offers in this thread would be hard to take from an asset perspective so I would be against most of them acknowledging it will take a lot to get one of these players. Shuffling deck chairs doesn't solve the problem, it creates others that you didn't have before. If you can get one of these players without giving up one of the core players then I'm all for it. Otherwise I look elsewhere.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I suppose if the price is similar and we have some reason to think Laine will become more mature, then I'm listening. I still probably say that Gaudreau is just a plain old better player.

Are folks expecting Laine to become a better player? Because so far his name recognition seems to greatly outpace his actual performance as a player. I don't think he's generally been an elite player like Gaudreau. Some facts behind that:
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume Laine becomes better and more mature as he is only 22. Gaudreau on the other hand is 27 so he's either already on the decline or soon will be on the decline. 58 points last season might already hint he is past his prime.

Take note of Gaudreau's IPP or individual points percentage. This is the ratio of a players points to the amount of goals his team scores when he is on the ice, it can tell you who is really carrying. Gaudreau's is off the charts, averaging over 80%, which is a number only McDavid and Kucherov rival. Laine only gets in on about 60-66% of the action, and if you know the Jets you know that Nik Ehlers runs that line.
If you know the Jets you know last season Laine didn't spend much time at all with Ehlers and for whatever reason when they were on the same line in 2018-2019, that line sucked.

Gaudreau is obviously the better scorer at 5v5, and I don't buy the idea that Laine would be better on the PP.
Laine had more EVPs last year than Gaudreau (47 vs 40) and back in 16-17 when Laine was a rookie he had 50 EVP while Gaudreau had 45. So during the 2 out of 4 seasons Laine has been in the NHL he has scored more EVPs than Gaudreau. Gaudreau also has way more EV ice-time than Laine. Even last season when Patrik scored more EVPs he did it with less ice time. While I agree that Gaudreau has been the more dynamic player, considering their age that might not be the case anymore or going forward.

This is a bit uncertain because Laine might have a whole lot more in him that we haven't seen, but he is coming off a pretty bad year on the PP. Laine scored 2.9 primary P/60 on the PP, which is Blue Jackets level. He definitely missed Big Buff, who was always an underrated PP QB and could open up lanes better than all but a few QBs in the league. It's tough to tell with powerplays because so much scoring depends on how good the overall powerplay is, but from the IPPs (and my eye) the Jets can beat you in a lot of different ways and a lot more happens with Laine just standing there, while Gaudreau is the biggest focal point on the Flames.
I think the Jets PP missed Big Buff, but not because Buff is a QB. I think Pionk might actually be a better QB. It was more because now the Jets lacked a threat from the right point. When Buff played he hardly passed to Laine, but just by having someone shoot from the right side made the PP a lot better. It's actually hard to say why the Jets PP became worse. I was tempted to say it was injury to Laine, but his PP goals were already trending downwards back in later half of 2018-2019.

I actually think Laine could be a lot better on PP in Columbus, because part of the problem with Jets was that Wheeler, Scheifele and Laine (and Buff) all shot from the right. I think Laine would benefit a lot from the fact that PLD and Werenski shoot from left.

I still wouldn't trade Werenski for Laine. I might trade Jones for Laine though, because I think Jones is going to walk in 2 years anyway and because Jones occupies the same slot on the PP as Laine. Although I'm pretty sure Winnipeg is on Jones' 10 team NTC list. None of the defensemen other than Werenski have any term which also means no value. I just can't see the trade happening.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume Laine becomes better and more mature as he is only 22. Gaudreau on the other hand is 27 so he's either already on the decline or soon will be on the decline. 58 points last season might already hint he is past his prime.

If you know the Jets you know last season Laine didn't spend much time at all with Ehlers and for whatever reason when they were on the same line in 2018-2019, that line sucked.

Laine had more EVPs last year than Gaudreau (47 vs 40) and back in 16-17 when Laine was a rookie he had 50 EVP while Gaudreau had 45. So during the 2 out of 4 seasons Laine has been in the NHL he has scored more EVPs than Gaudreau. Gaudreau also has way more EV ice-time than Laine. Even last season when Patrik scored more EVPs he did it with less ice time. While I agree that Gaudreau has been the more dynamic player, considering their age that might not be the case anymore or going forward.

I think the Jets PP missed Big Buff, but not because Buff is a QB. I think Pionk might actually be a better QB. It was more because now the Jets lacked a threat from the right point. When Buff played he hardly passed to Laine, but just by having someone shoot from the right side made the PP a lot better. It's actually hard to say why the Jets PP became worse. I was tempted to say it was injury to Laine, but his PP goals were already trending downwards back in later half of 2018-2019.

I actually think Laine could be a lot better on PP in Columbus, because part of the problem with Jets was that Wheeler, Scheifele and Laine (and Buff) all shot from the right. I think Laine would benefit a lot from the fact that PLD and Werenski shoot from left.

I still wouldn't trade Werenski for Laine. I might trade Jones for Laine though, because I think Jones is going to walk in 2 years anyway and because Jones occupies the same slot on the PP as Laine. Although I'm pretty sure Winnipeg is on Jones' 10 team NTC list. None of the defensemen other than Werenski have any term which also means no value. I just can't see the trade happening.

Well said regarding Laine, and I agreed with everything you said.....until the last paragraph.

If there was ANY realistic hint that Jones wasn’t happy or re-signing, then ok. There is NO other reason that the team should look to move Jones over Werenski.

Your problem of Jones/Laine both being right shots is non existent. They most of the time use an “umbrella” PP and Jones is best as the guy up top at the blue. If anything, it’s actually better they are both right shots as Jones is quite good at faking shots, he could dish them off quick to Laine (and Bemstrom) on the lower left side.

Reactions: CPTN71

paragon

May 5, 2010
Well said regarding Laine, and I agreed with everything you said.....until the last paragraph.

If there was ANY realistic hint that Jones wasn’t happy or re-signing, then ok. There is NO other reason that the team should look to move Jones over Werenski.
I'm just going by history. Duchene, Panarin, Bobrovsky walked recently. The only high profile UFA Jackets have ever managed to retain was Nash and even he asked for trade later. If teams like Toronto, Avalanche or Rangers threw insane money at him, it would be hard to resist. Any agent worth his salt wouldn't let Seth re-sign without looking at offers from other teams. It's just too risky imo.

It's the same struggle with all the small market teams. And I don't care what the players say. They are trained to say the right things to media. For example Parise, Sutter and Tavares all let their teams believe they might re-sign until it was later revealed they never really wanted to re-sign. Even a blunt guy like Laine is saying all the right things in Winnipeg while secretly wanting to leave.

People always get defensive about these things. I basically got the same response from Carolina fans when I told them Adam Fox was 100% guaranteed to not sign with them.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm just going by history. Duchene, Panarin, Bobrovsky walked recently. The only high profile UFA Jackets have ever managed to retain was Nash and even he asked for trade later. If teams like Toronto, Avalanche or Rangers threw insane money at him, it would be hard to resist. Any agent worth his salt wouldn't let Seth re-sign without looking at offers from other teams. It's just too risky imo.

It's the same struggle with all the small market teams. And I don't care what the players say. They are trained to say the right things to media. For example Parise, Sutter and Tavares all let their teams believe they might re-sign until it was later revealed they never really wanted to re-sign. Even a blunt guy like Laine is saying all the right things in Winnipeg while secretly wanting to leave.

People always get defensive about these things. I basically got the same response from Carolina fans when I told them Adam Fox was 100% guaranteed to not sign with them.

The 3 guys from last year were all in unique situations with the team and it WAS essentially known that each guy was not coming back, ignoring the varying levels of hope from different fans. I’d also like to make it known that Panarin is probably the only guy that the team really attempted to keep. Nash was completely unrelated, the team was an absolute mess at the time, and that trade literally was the best case scenario for both him and the team and he is already back involved with the team.

“Big market” only makes a difference when they can offer players bigger contracts or when a player enjoys or IS SEEKING a big market. Like Panarin, the CBJ (I’m sure) is more than willing and able to pay Jones just as much as ANY team in the league.

Every name you used, no matter what they said, there were legitimate concerns/questions about where they would sign.

With Jones, is there ANY??

They seem to only come from bored and insecure Columbus residents and fans or residents of “big market” city/teams.

It all depends on what type of person Jones is and what he wants as a future. I’m sure Jarmo has a better idea than anybody and there is NO WAY they allow Jones to make it to UFA if he shows reluctance to sign.

It’s either sign and start the ‘C’ transition from Foligno or he is moved.

Reactions: CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad