Patrick Kane

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again. He's not slowing down. 37 in 24, 1.52 pace. I think he cracks 100 points this season. He's too good this season. Dare I say he might beat Crosby's 120 point season from 06-07.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again. He's not slowing down. 37 in 24, 1.52 pace. I think he cracks 100 points this season. He's too good this season. Dare I say he might beat Crosby's 120 point season from 06-07.

Let's not get carried away here. Breaking the 100 point barrier might not be out of reach if he stays healthy, but 120 is a tall order, especially now that scoring as a whole is down in the league. His shooting percentage is slightly elevated from his career average, but he is also on pace for about 300 shots which would be a career high.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Let's not get carried away here. Breaking the 100 point barrier might not be out of reach if he stays healthy, but 120 is a tall order, especially now that scoring as a whole is down in the league. His shooting percentage is slightly elevated from his career average, but he is also on pace for about 300 shots which would be a career high.

He's my favourite player, sorry, I tend to exaggerate. I just don't think he'll slow down. Him and Panarin are too good together. We're finally seeing what he can do now that he has actual decent line mates. He's basically PPG with trash line mates, and now he's well over PPG this season with Panarin.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
It's true that he really hasn't had the chance to play consistently with talent since he and Toews were moved to separate lines, so it's unexplored country more or less. It would be nice if he won the Art Ross. It's been way too long since a Hawk nabbed that trophy.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's true that he really hasn't had the chance to play consistently with talent since he and Toews were moved to separate lines, so it's unexplored country more or less. It would be nice if he won the Art Ross. It's been way too long since a Hawk nabbed that trophy.

Shows how good he really is carrying people for the past few years.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
just hope he's not slowing down.

I'd love to see a Hawks Ross and Hart winner added to winning the SC

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I haven't paid much attention to the box scores when it comes to Kane, but I did notice that his minutes were in the 25+ range last game (Toews was under 20 minutes as a comparison). Q has responded to his excellent play, and that can only help Kane's production.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
How fortunate is it that the charges against him were dismissed.

What would Hawks' record be w/o him and by connection Panarin's production?

Edmonton like?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
How fortunate is it that the charges against him were dismissed.

What would Hawks' record be w/o him and by connection Panarin's production?

Edmonton like?

Fortunate? He didn't do any of what he was accused of. Forensic evidence proved such. There's no "good fortune" here. It was the truth. And no, even without him, they would not be Edmonton bad. The Hawks system is too good for that.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Fortunate? He didn't do any of what he was accused of. Forensic evidence proved such. There's no "good fortune" here. It was the truth. And no, even without him, they would not be Edmonton bad. The Hawks system is too good for that.

Oh, I agree 100% with the evidence. I meant how fortunate for us fans that he was cleared and could play.

Kane's line has scored 47% of the goals!!!!!!

Where is this system you speak of?

They would be Edmonton bad indeed.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Oh, I agree 100% with the evidence. I meant how fortunate for us fans that he was cleared and could play.

Kane's line has scored 47% of the goals!!!!!!

Where is this system you speak of?

They would be Edmonton bad indeed.

Stats and reality don't work like that. Even after the offseason loss of talent, even without Kane, what's left on the roster along with replacements would have kept the Hawks treading water. Maybe not 3rd in the division, but not Edmonton bad.

And if worst case scenario would have called for trading Kane or terminating his contract for cap relief, what the team gets back from that move could very well have put the team in the same position they are now.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Stats and reality don't work like that. Even after the offseason loss of talent, even without Kane, what's left on the roster along with replacements would have kept the Hawks treading water. Maybe not 3rd in the division, but not Edmonton bad.

And if worst case scenario would have called for trading Kane or terminating his contract for cap relief, what the team gets back from that move could very well have put the team in the same position they are now.

Really? Who is that piece coming back that's lighting up the league?

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Really? Who is that piece coming back that's lighting up the league?

Patrick Kane's salary represents $10.5 million of the cap. I'm not a capologist so forgive me for broad language, but if Stan could've gotten even half of that back somehow before the start of the season he could've gotten a damn good free agent (with a mind to keeping him long term because, if Kane put you in that situation, he'd have no place in that organization). If Kane went on the trade block, the possibilities would've been endless.

This theory was kinda tested last year when Kane went on LTIR. The team didn't fall from playoff contention. (EDIT...) They found a replacement as per league rules and stayed at or around where they were the entire season.

Would the replacement(s) "light up the league" like Kane is? Probably not. But again, losing a player from your roster doesn't necessarily result in an exactly representative loss of team efficacy. That's what Apotheosis was referring to with the system. There is some line combination, some offensive strategy, some extra commitment from the other players that would keep the Hawks from completely cratering.

Assuming good health, I just can't see a roster with Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, Panarin, Crawford and even Anisimov being Edmonton bad.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Patrick Kane's salary represents $10.5 million of the cap. I'm not a capologist so forgive me for broad language, but if Stan could've gotten even half of that back somehow before the start of the season he could've gotten a damn good free agent (with a mind to keeping him long term because, if Kane put you in that situation, he'd have no place in that organization). If Kane went on the trade block, the possibilities would've been endless.

This theory was kinda tested last year when Kane went on LTIR. The team didn't fall from playoff contention. (EDIT...) They found a replacement as per league rules and stayed at or around where they were the entire season.

Would the replacement(s) "light up the league" like Kane is? Probably not. But again, losing a player from your roster doesn't necessarily result in an exactly representative loss of team efficacy. That's what Apotheosis was referring to with the system. There is some line combination, some offensive strategy, some extra commitment from the other players that would keep the Hawks from completely cratering.

Assuming good health, I just can't see a roster with Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, Panarin, Crawford and even Anisimov being Edmonton bad.

That something is called P. Kane.

Somehow you think that w/o 88 the Hawks would be "fixing" the issue but now w/88 the Hawks can't fix any other line.

Does not compute for me.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Maybe the kid line is up and playing balls to the wall because they know they gotta leave it all out on the ice because Superman isn't coming off the bench to save the day. Maybe with all that extra PP/prime offensive ice time Teuvo or Hossa work through their issues and aren't having the mediocre years they're having.

Maybe the team craters out and we're the Ducks.

Edit: Kinda a stream of consciousness from me there, but don't get it twisted. We'd probably be in trouble and on the outside looking in at this point. But that kinda hypothetical goes without saying. What team loses a franchise, top ten leaguewide talent and doesn't skip a beat?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Maybe the kid line is up and playing balls to the wall because they know they gotta leave it all out on the ice because Superman isn't coming off the bench to save the day. Maybe with all that extra PP/prime offensive ice time Teuvo or Hossa work through their issues and aren't having the mediocre years they're having.

Maybe the team craters out and we're the Ducks.

Holding it together until Superman returns in a short while, like last Spring is doable. To try it for a full season would be very unsuccessful.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
That something is called P. Kane.

Somehow you think that w/o 88 the Hawks would be "fixing" the issue but now w/88 the Hawks can't fix any other line.

Does not compute for me.

Of course the Hawks would be fixing the on-ice issue if they lost 88 to legal troubles. Do you think Stan would just be sitting on his hands going, "Oh well, we'll just go on with this gaping hole on the second line." They would've had an entire training camp plus however many weeks before that to figure something out. Not to mention the cap space and trade market demand (just about every team was inquiring about him the minute the story broke) to make a post-Kane transition as painless as possible.

Another thing to remember: the organization isn't as desperately reactionary as its fans. So while you may think the current situation with Kane is some disaster that requires the highest, most dramatic action possible, the organization probably sees it as some early-season nuisance that can be resolved with the right line combos and players meeting their potential.

We know this because that's how the Hawks have always addressed this. It's like Groundhog Day on this board.

Look, I love what Kane's doing this year. I know he's by far the team's most valuable player. But the Blackhawks weren't built in such a way that one player--no matter how great--would send them from contender to bottom feeder.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
You're dreaming.

Right now, after a full training camp and 25 regular season games played, if 88 goes stone cold or gasp has a 3-4 week injury, this team falls to the bottom of the conference.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
You're dreaming.

Right now, after a full training camp and 25 regular season games played, if 88 goes stone cold or gasp has a 3-4 week injury, this team falls to the bottom of the conference.

:laugh:

Are you assuming that Toews and Hossa will stay cold for the entire season? Or that TT and Dano will never hit their stride and are doomed to be bottom-six talent? Or that Panarin and Anisimov will suddenly turn into bums? Or that the defense--which hasn't even been all that bad--will crater somehow?

This is why the board has the reputation of being ledge jumpers. No respect for the ebbs and flows of an 82-game NHL season. No, when things are bad with the Hawks they're bound to stay bad. Forever.

People here need to look up the sports axiom about never being as good as your best or as bad as your worst and nail it to a wall. The team will be fine. Not just because of Kane but because of the other couple dozen guys drawing paychecks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad