Rumor: Patrick Kane interested in two teams: NYR & TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not saying you should do it or that it would be good long term, but isn’t there an all-in argument here with Tarasenko already signed? The objective is winning, right? Kane and Panarin were gold together before.
Kane and Panarin were gold together 6 years ago in the regular season. They got swept in the 1st round by Nashville. Panarin had 1 point in that series and Kane had 2 points.

Neither is the same player today. Kane isn't known for his defense or board play, which are what will help us win in the playoffs. We have enough scoring. We're currently 9th in scoring, and like 3rd since December 5th, and that's with Tarasenko only having 1 point so far. We don't need or want Kane, especially considering what he would cost to acquire. If we make another move, it's for a bottom 6 guy.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
We have no cap to leave the line-up. We have 0 cap dumps without having to call up a body. All our cap hits that aren't on core young pieces or NTC/NMC are under a million. It's not possible without a 3rd team involved. You aren't getting Laf.
Good. Don’t want him.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Good. Don’t want him.
alright-jennifer-lawrence.gif

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Mark Messier is a hall of famer with a sick play off resume. Of course he wouldn't be worth anything, seriously.

Paying for the player Kane was years ago makes no sense. Teams are paying for the Kane of today.

While I agree that it makes no sense, there's still a precedent for teams paying a premium for playoff experience. And, you really only need to Kane to play like his younger self for 16 games...

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think Kane will pretty much force his way to one team at the deadline, and Chicago should expect almost no return from dealing him. I'd probably let him do whatever he wants if I'm chicago's FO as keeping him on good terms with the organization will be good for PR.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
While I agree that it makes no sense, there's still a precedent for teams paying a premium for playoff experience. And, you really only need to Kane to play like his younger self for 16 games...

Even if he gets the magic back offensively for 16 games I think the question is whether he wants a 4th cup bad enough that he’ll take hits to make plays or be willing to block a shot with his face if need be. It’s not the offense falling off as much as it’s him prioritizing a healthy back half of his career to accumulate stats over another cup at all costs.

If his hips or another injury acts up in a game 7 what are the odds he says he’s sitting instead of risking it?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Not interested with the price it would take to get him. Rangers would need to get another team involved. The cost for Kane+ retention + paying another team to help would be a ton.

That being said if a deal somehow did happen that would be huge for the Rangers chances this season

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Both teams are going to give up a ton and not win the cup then lose him in the off season.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dubas would rather have Toews, a player with a proven track record of elevating and ramping up.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I do worry that Dubas will go for this hook, line, and sinker.

He demonstrates more than any GM in the NHL that the way to build a hockey team is to have it resemble a 12 year old's EA Sports roster.

I think its partially a Canadian GM thing. I suspect that they run into so many trade snags behind the scenes where players dont want to play for Canadian teams. So when someone comes out and wants to play on a Canadian team, I'm not sure that they can really help themselves. Dubas did same thing with Tavares. Holland was the same way with Keith. To be fair to them, its brutal being a GM in Canada.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I love the idea of Kane playing in Toronto but the reality is he's an offense-only forward on a big contract having a bad season offensively and it's potentially health related and not something he'll snap out of easily with a change of scenary. Lots of upside but a lot of risk.

If this report is true and it means he can be had for a bargain, then go for it, but I hope he's not the player Dubas breaks the bank for.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
While it my be true that people did tell Colaicovo this, there's always the question of whether or not what he was told is true.

It's also possible that this was true before the Rangers got Tarasenko and that Kane may reconsider this and add another team or two to help Chicago get a better return for him.
I agree. There is tons of speculation and rumors swirling around. It's highly unlikely kane resigns in Chicago, the realistic perspective is what teams are legitimate cup contenders for the next few years and their cap situation to allow for them and kane to ink a new contract.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Patrick Kane as a Scooby Doo villian-"....and I would have went to the Rangers too if it wasn't for those meddling Blues!"

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
If true- what a f***ing jackass. You love Chicago? Good, accept a trade and move on. Don’t be a whiny little bitch, demanding which lifeboat you’ll jump to from your 1st class ticket on the SS-Blacktanic. He has the legal right, but from any sorta love-of-the-game or logical perspective, f*** this jabroni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad