Former Bruins Patrice Bergeron II RETIRES (post 430)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From Today’s Globe:

Bourque knew how Bergeron felt​

As the offseason months passed, Ray Bourque was like a lot of Bruins fans, thinking, hoping, that maybe Patrice Bergeron was using the time to gear up mentally for a 20th season.

But when the decision came, and Bergeron called it fini, Bourque well understood what the veteran center was thinking after playing in upward of 1,500 NHL games.

“I knew exactly how he was feeling when you come to that decision,” said Bourque, a slightly older 40 years old when he called it quits in the summer of 2001. “I averaged the most minutes out of anybody my last year, 39 years old, was up for a Norris [Trophy] and had another $6 million on the table to go back the next year — but I knew, mentally, to get back to where you need to get back to … ”

He knew it would have meant another full summer of training, said Bourque, followed by the “whole grind of the season, and the playoffs.” All in all, just too high a toll, on body and mind, for a man of a certain age and service.

“And you are [training] different, you’re taking different routes,” noted Bourque, now 62 and immersed in the restaurant business as owner/operator of “Tresca” in the North End. “Your thinking’s the same, but the body’s not reacting the same way and you know it’s not going to get any better.”

Watching Bergeron all these years here, said Bourque, was to watch “the perfect player.”

“Nothing he did was thought about lightly,” he said. “How he played. How he prepared. How he treated people … just an amazing, amazing person and player. We’ve all been very lucky to watch this kid play for 19 years.”

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
“I knew exactly how he was feeling when you come to that decision,” said Bourque, a slightly older 40 years old when he called it quits in the summer of 2001. “I averaged the most minutes out of anybody my last year, 39 years old, was up for a Norris [Trophy] and had another $6 million on the table to go back the next year — but I knew, mentally, to get back to where you need to get back to … ”
Crazy to say for some one rated so highly in NHL Pantheon but man Ray Bourque is/was/will always be criminally underrated. Easily fighting for number 2 Dman all time.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Thnaks for sharing. I Was there tonite. Great evening. Lots of kids, the cause is great for the community, alot of money giving to organisation taking care of kids.

A lot and I mean a lot..... of Bruins jerseys in the stand!!!
I love it! I’m pretty sure the Bruins are the second most popular team in the province.

Long live the rivalry!!!
that would be au Quebec but who am I ......
I’m surprised that got past the Language Police. :sarcasm: :laugh:

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Thank you, Patrice Bergeron, for your near 20 yrs of service, you brought class, dignity, honor and leadership to this team.
I hope that you decide to return as a coach in the future, you would be an excellent mentor for the future prospects at the center position.
Thank you again!

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Thank you, Patrice Bergeron, for your near 20 yrs of service, you brought class, dignity, honor and leadership to this team.
I hope that you decide to return as a coach in the future, you would be an excellent mentor for the future prospects at the center position.
Thank you again!
This just occurred to me… why not offer him a job in the Scouting Department? Who better to woo and schmooze prospects and free agents? I’m sure he knows talent when he sees it, too.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This just occurred to me… why not offer him a job in the Scouting Department? Who better to woo and schmooze prospects and free agents? I’m sure he knows talent when he sees it, too.
I say ask him to stop by this season once a week or so for faceoff clinics. I think the team FO winning percentage might suffer a bit this season lol

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Good interview for the most part, especially when he talks about all the people he's met through hospital visits and Patrice's Pals.

However, I still think Wiggy is an idiot.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Patrice Bergeron doesn’t have plenty of regrets these days.

The former Bruins captain shared that sentiment multiple times during his radio appearance with WEEI’s “Greg Hill Show” during Tuesday’s WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon.

Whether it be his decision to play in Boston’s final regular-season game or his call to hang up his skates this summer, Bergeron is at peace with how he closed out his standout career.

“A lot of signs during the season kind of led me towards that decision at the end,” Bergeron said. “But of course, you finish the regular season with the best record ever, you’re aspiring [for] great things in the playoffs. Of course it was a very disappointing ending for everyone, especially for us as players having to go through all that.

“So yeah, I guess for a little bit of time I was second-guessing it and kind of thinking, but at the same time, there were too many things and too many signs. Of course the body is number one, and all the mileage I put on myself and the amount of games and amount of years. Unfortunately, it just led me to make the right decision for myself and for my family, and it was to hang ’em up.”

Of course, while Bergeron has no qualms with his decision, his exit does create a sizable void on a 2023-24 Bruins roster that has seen a significant core of talent sapped away this summer.

Still, Bergeron remains bullish on the Bruins’ chances of remaining competitive this season, especially with both Jim Montgomery and a number of established leaders still at the helm in the dressing room.

“I have no worries at all,” Bergeron explained. “I think Monty, he’s got some experience, he’s been around for a long time. He’s won at every level and I think also the guys that are there, it’s a lot of the same guys coming back … They know what to do. They’re going to be themselves and they’re going to lead the way they lead and I have no worries about that at all, to be honest with you.”

Boston will not be able to replicate both Bergeron and Krejci’s playmaking capabilities and two-way acumen.

“Of course, every year you want to kind of reassess and come together as a team,” Bergeron said. “There’s always some moving parts. It’s the nature of the game that some guys leave and some guys retire as well sometimes. But also some new players coming in and the biggest challenge is to make that gel and come together.

“But I think it’s a great challenge and that’s what I think people should be excited about. I think they have some guys that they know what direction they want to go towards and I’m sure they’re gonna make guys follow suit and Monty’s got the brains as far as a hockey coach and the way that he explains, but also he’s great to relate to guys and connect with them. So yeah, I think they’re in great hands.”

As for which Bruin will don the “C” on their sweater now that Bergeron has retired, the future Hall-of-Famer opted to not speculate, adding that the current roster has many deserving candidates.

“I am not worried about leadership on this team,” Bergeron said. “I think there’s obviously Brad, where I’ve been with for so long and we have a connection. We’re very good friends and I have a lot of respect for him and when he’s done and what he’s been able to accomplish so far in his career. I think he’s got more and more to give.

“Obviously there’s Charlie McAvoy, there’s Pasta, there’s a lot of guys and it’s not up to me to decide. I think they’re in great hands with leadership and I’ll let Monty and the rest of his staff kind of make the decision.”

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

McAvoy said even though a select few members of the Bruins’ inner circle knew Bergeron was planning to retire, when he didn’t announce right away, they started to wonder if plans had changed.

“He didn’t say anything and he didn’t file (retirement papers),” said the blueliner. “You’re like, ‘All right, I still haven’t heard anything. He just came out and skated with us and he was the best player on the ice. Like, what the hell is he skating for?’

“A couple of us were talking about it. We’re like, ‘He’s still done, right?”‘

But the news would eventually drop.

“Hurt all over again,” McAvoy said. “You’re like, ‘Oh, wow, it really is true.”‘

Bergeron’s legacy in Boston, he added, is cemented alongside the city’s sporting greats.

“A legend,” McAvoy said. “He’s perfect. There’s no such thing, right? Doesn’t exist. But we can let it exist, and that’s him … first-class, that’s Bergy.”

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Hope in under 10 years he's behind the bench as an assistant. That would just be the best ever. I know the next 7 at minimum he's gotta be a family man.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Any idea on number retirement? There's no debate 37 is going up in the rafters but I'd assume they'll hang 33 first?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad