Former Bruins Patrice Bergeron II RETIRES (post 430)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If he wants to come back, there's always room for a guy like that on the team. People can be upset at the way they went out, but that's sports. You can't have the highs without the lows, and there are never enough highs. If there was, it would be boring. In reality, the last 20+ years in this area have gotten a little ridiculous. Teams won too much and fans started acting entitled like f***ing Yankee and Habs fans, and that sucked.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I would guess no unless the Bruins have told him their plan and he likes what he hears. Otherwise how much can a human body take, The kids been through hell and back.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I would guess no unless the Bruins have told him their plan and he likes what he hears. Otherwise how much can a human body take, The kids been through hell and back.
The concussions alone would have ended many other player's careers, but he persevered and came out through the other side. I suspect that quite a few people will realize how great he is only once he's gone. Which is crazy.

When do they hand him the Selkie?
Whenever he wants it?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
And on we go….

I , for one , hope he does.

I don't know.

I love Patrice but wonder if it's worth it for him to play another season.

If he'd like to come back, great.

But understand: That means plenty of maintenance days, likely chronic and ongoing injuries, and, sorry, probably diminished play.

IF he's up for it, great. But as someone posted in the previous thread, it isn't up to Patrice Bergeron, living legend and first ballot HOFer he surely is, to assay his physical health and readiness to play.

It is undeniable, at least to me, that the insertion of Patrice and David into R1, both playing well below par and frankly hurting the club because of this, was another colossal mistake by JIm Montgomery, who made a slew of them.

The next time Patrice has "bumps and bruises," Montgomery can certainly consult with his captain. Of course.

But he should also consult with his medical, training and coaching staff. Perhaps he did. I don't know.

Regardless, the final decision to play Bergeron is NOT Bergeron's.

It is Montgomery's.

I can't skate backward for shit and couldn't coach a non-travel pee wee team, but even I understand that.

Montgomery better understand it too. As well as at least a half dozen other illogical, "stupefying" decisions that, in my mind, cost the Bruins the series.

Yes, the players played poorly. Very poorly.

but a fish rots from the head, and though I do not want Montgomery cashiered -- at least at present -- the "collapse" was and is almost entirely on his shoulders.

"Call me an old softie, but that's how I see it."

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
When he came back this year I was surprised he logged the minutes he did and then we saw what that stupidity ended up doing. Oh yay we set a regular season record woohoo. (sarcasm if you couldn't add the tone in your mind as you read that)
I would like to see him back, but I do NOT believe he should be considered the #1 center and play that role. imo he should play 3rd line, primarily in a checking and PK capacity. Less minutes and less time against top opposition. Similar to how Staal was moved down the Carolina line up. He was their top center when they won the cup and now he's 4th line but still contributes big time in a shutdown capacity. If we do that he could return for several more years if he wanted to.
Then in the playoffs, rested and ready, if needed he could be stepped up if and when needed.

We need to play the season prepping for the playoffs, not for 1st place or any records. Just make the playoffs. Build your game prepping for the grind. And definitely DON'T overuse your older vets.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bergie and Krejci $1 million each ( + bonuses for next years cap hahaha), lineup done.
Krejci all done

Going by the analytics folks Shayna & Dom in Athletic Bergeron turned in a historic season

Watching 30 plus games at ice level agree

If Bergeron season could be replicated he’d get a 1 year 9-10 M dollar contract

If you got to Main Board thread on his signing last summer and bleeding into season that’s the prevailing view of majority of posters

Reactions: LSCII and Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We live in a country 15-20 M people think the moon landing was fake snd 1 in 5 US born White male adults voting age couldn’t correctly identity over 5 states on a blank US map before getting 3 guesses wrong

It’s just inevitable there are going to be Bergeron is soft and selfish posts here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad