Confirmed with Link: Patric picked up his phone, Matheson + Sceviour to PIT for Hornqvist (no salary retention)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The fact that Zito retained 0 salary on this is astounding. I’m just literally sitting here marveling at how good of a GM we have now.
He exploited Pittsburgh's liquidity crunch. If Pittsburgh has a internal cap of 75M of cash and Hornqvist is not insured, it's a big problem for Pittsburgh if he gets hurt. Viola is owed a big thank you for doing this.

It's hilarious: all the dang Canadian fans were pillaging our roster for scraps due to money and we pulled this off due to liquidity constraints.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If we can somehow get rid of Stralman or Yandle. I would be in shock. To be honest as much as I hate to say it I’d rather keep Yandle just on the basis that he’s good offensively and he’d be our only train wreck D and could be protected.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If we can somehow get rid of Stralman or Yandle. I would be in shock. To be honest as much as I hate to say it I’d rather keep Yandle just on the basis that he’s good offensively and he’d be our only train wreck D and could be protected.
I also hate to say it but I agree, I’d rather move Stral first and Yandle second. Unless Stral could show how his injury is healed and he’ll be back faster and stronger.

I’m betting that Z and Q have had quite a few chats and Matheson probably came up as priority 1 in the first chat. It’ll be interesting to see what’s next.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Yands back to the desert? Might be the only place he would say yes.
Or Boston. Maybe if they’re losing Krug?....
I don’t think there are a lot of places Yands would agree to go, he’s likely going to remain a Panther. FL needs to sign a solid stay home actual defender to play with Yandle on the third pair to help cover for his defensive play, and let him rack up points on the power play.
Wonder if Zito is trying to move Stralman’s contract.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Or Boston. Maybe if they’re losing Krug?....
I don’t think there are a lot of places Yands would agree to go, he’s likely going to remain a Panther. FL needs to sign a solid stay home actual defender to play with Yandle on the third pair to help cover for his defensive play, and let him rack up points on the power play.
Wonder if Zito is trying to move Stralman’s contract.
Who do we replace Stralman with in all seriousness? Brodie? Harmonic?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Have to like the Gm being aggressive.

Never would have expected Tallon to do something like this

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Also we should ask the Islanders for a 5th round pick or something: those 4 games for them got a lot better ;)

I feel bad for the chirping they'll have for Mathy

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Z: I'll trade you Matheson for Hornqvist
JR: From my cold, dead hands!!
Z: Ok I'll add... Sceviour
Jr: Done!!!

Puzzling trade from the beginning but thanks JR, lol.

Hearing we lost Sceviour, i'm feeling exactly how i felt when we traded Jesse Winchester. My brain in saying, "who cares" yet my heart is saying "damn, i really liked that guy".

Scevs brought it all the time but at the end, totally replaceable.

Does that make me a masochist?

No you just have Stockholm syndrome like me.

Not only did we get rid of Matheson and his contract, we opened up current and future cap space. Win/win trade for us.

If Zito can somehow get rid of Yandle and/or Stralman in similar fashion, I will be extremely impressed.

I don't see Stralman as a problem and he just signed.

I said this earlier this year but now that Math is gone, Yandle is a much lesser problem. Much easier to shelter one guy than two. But ideally you move him too- maybe something like a OEL - Yandle swap?

The Yotes are in big cap and money trouble and that would give them much needed relief. OEL has a monster contract though but he would be an upgrade over Yands for sure.

Reactions: Cold Cat

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
In all honesty, if the worst outcome happens: it is this. Hornqvist becomes absolutely useless and is injured. We can't get the depth we want for next years. Matheson rebounds into top 3 defenseman.

I still do the trade ex-ante. We tried everything with Matheson; that was playing him the playoffs despite Brown being better. He was dead space for six years here.
This.
Even if Matheson figures it out in Pittsburgh, it was clearly not happening here. If he figures it out, it's a win-win situation for both teams, but right now we got cap space, got rid of a horrible contract and can actually make changes on the D.

I liked Sceviour but I'd buy him a flight ticket to Pittsburgh if that got it done.

What a move by Zito!! WOW.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
While Yandle is a soft wizard waiving his wand out there he still puts up tons of points

Stralman is the guy we need to get rid from defense.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

Matheson “[turned] the puck over on almost 1 of every 5 puck possessions at even-strength”

can confirm

It's funny that everyone only sees that part of his game. It is certainly frustrating to see so many unnecessary turnovers from bad decisions, but it is worth noting that his other numbers are quite good. Sometimes it's worth gambling and hoping you have other players who can make up for the mistakes.

We're seeing right now in the playoffs how much it helps to have multiple mobile puck-moving defensemen (Heiskanen-Klingberg, Hedman-Sergachev-Shattenkirk, Makar-Girard etc.). We're spoiled because we have Yandle and Ekblad, but the Penguins have suffered when Schultz hasn't offloaded Letang like he did a few years ago. It's obviously a gamble but even without too much improvement in Matheson, he could still be a net positive for them.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
patric-hornqvist-2019-50.jpg

A face you formerly wanted to punch and now have to learn to love.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It's funny that everyone only sees that part of his game. It is certainly frustrating to see so many unnecessary turnovers from bad decisions, but it is worth noting that his other numbers are quite good. Sometimes it's worth gambling and hoping you have other players who can make up for the mistakes.

We're seeing right now in the playoffs how much it helps to have multiple mobile puck-moving defensemen (Heiskanen-Klingberg, Hedman-Sergachyov-Shattenkirk, Makar-Girard etc.). We're spoiled because we have Yandle and Ekblad, but the Penguins have suffered when Schultz hasn't offloaded Letang like he did a few years ago. It's obviously a gamble but even without too much improvement in Matheson, he could still be a net positive for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad