Confirmed with Link: Patric picked up his phone, Matheson + Sceviour to PIT for Hornqvist (no salary retention)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's funny that everyone only sees that part of his game. It is certainly frustrating to see so many unnecessary turnovers from bad decisions, but it is worth noting that his other numbers are quite good. Sometimes it's worth gambling and hoping you have other players who can make up for the mistakes.

We're seeing right now in the playoffs how much it helps to have multiple mobile puck-moving defensemen (Heiskanen-Klingberg, Hedman-Sergachyov-Shattenkirk, Makar-Girard etc.). We're spoiled because we have Yandle and Ekblad, but the Penguins have suffered when Schultz hasn't offloaded Letang like he did a few years ago. It's obviously a gamble but even without too much improvement in Matheson, he could still be a net positive for them.

It's likely that Matheson does improve and he becomes decent enough playing with Crosby and Malkin to overlook some occasional gaffes. But it wasn't going to happen here. Matheson needs a change of scenery, he needs a shock to the system, to realize he needs to make changes or else. Read these comments from him in this article....

Mike Matheson traded to Penguins after two disappointing seasons with Panthers

That sounds eerily similar to Dylan Olsen before he crashed and burned. Matheson is an over-thinker, he doesn't do well when things don't go his way, he lets things snowball. He really needs a reset, and playing in Pittsburgh likely helps him.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
upload_2020-9-25_8-56-26.png

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
"On Jan. 20, Matheson was also benched during the third period of the game in Minnesota (the one where assistant coach Mike Kitchen kicked an yet-unnamed player on the bench who is believed to have been Matheson) after a penalty around the net led to a game-tying goal."

Interesting bit from GR's article... Don't think I've read speculation on who the kicked player was anywhere else.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't know. Atlanta Thrasher fans might argue that point.
Heart breaking: we had some good top picks with Kovalchuk, Heatley, and Kane...our issue was development and spending money. Kovalchuk is the best player to play for either team tbh,...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So I guess Kitchen did us a favor :laugh:

Yandle will be scapegoat No. 1 next season

Him or Stralman for sure.
If we're not gonna compete for playoffs then move Yandle and take back a LD who has a year or two left, stopgap for guys like Gildon, Ludvig and Koly.

Retain if need be but we need to be inside bottom 10 next year or go for a playoff spot. Can't be in that mid 12th-15th range again. Worse spot to be.

Reactions: Boothinator

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If we're not gonna compete for playoffs then move Yandle and take back a LD who has a year or two left, stopgap for guys like Gildon, Ludvig and Koly.

Retain if need be but we need to be inside bottom 10 next year or go for a playoff spot. Can't be in that mid 12th-15th range again. Worse spot to be.
I think we need to hate on a forward this year. We've had Petrovic and Matheson past two seasons.

Maybe Connolly makes sense?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think we need to hate on a forward this year. We've had Petrovic and Matheson past two seasons.

Maybe Connolly makes sense?

It'll be Borgstrom if he doesn't put up a productive year.

"Another 1st round pick down the drain"
"We should have traded him in that package for McDonagh"
"The artist should retire"
"Trash"
:laugh:

As a former mod, its sometimes funny to read the comments but mostly depressing

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Heart breaking: we had some good top picks with Kovalchuk, Heatley, and Kane...our issue was development and spending money. Kovalchuk is the best player to play for either team tbh,...

Ex Thrasher fan here and I'm not sure about Kovalchuk being the best player for either team. I'm still holding out for Barkov. But I did forget about Heatley and Kane wasn't much in Atlanta.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Just wow. And FINALLY on the PP we can put the right player in front of the net and don't waste our best player there
Yeah, Sasha will need to take one of the faceoff circles and score like he did against the Islanders, especially if Hoff doesn’t come back.

-ghoste

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

You guys keep forgetting about Bob for some reason. He was our worst performer last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad