Post-Game Talk: Pathetic effort by the buds 2:4.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Great first for the Leafs and you guys gave me some heartburn at the end with the goal and huge post ding. Good luck moving forward; I'll likely be on the TOR bandwagon come April as the Preds will probably have to win 50 of the next 60 games to make the playoffs with the way things are shaping up in the West...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Great first for the Leafs and you guys gave me some heartburn at the end with the goal and huge post ding. Good luck moving forward; I'll likely be on the TOR bandwagon come April as the Preds will probably have to win 50 of the next 60 games to make the playoffs with the way things are shaping up in the West...

thank you, you'll be welcomed :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They looked very disinterested in trying to adjust and battle for the win.

Nashville plays playoff hockey all season long even in November.

Leafs don't match up well against a strong defensive team that disrupts the Leafs attack and flow.

The neutral zone trap nullifies Leafs effectiveness.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Leafs don't match up well against a strong defensive team that disrupts the Leafs attack and flow.

Yeah because that worked out so well for them the 1st time we played them this season. Maybe it has something to do with our injuries, crazy thought I know.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah because that worked out so well for them the 1st time we played them this season. Maybe it has something to do with our injuries, crazy thought I know.

What about Nashville injuries like no Pekka Rinne for example?

If Marek Mazanec was Leafs starting goalie what would our record look like this year?.

Their system allows for a no name goalie to continue to record wins, while without Bernier/Reimer efforts this year as the Leafs are outplayed and out shot in virtually every game the results would be very different. IMO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What about Nashville injuries like no Pekka Rinne for example?

If Marek Mazanec was Leafs starting goalie what would our record look like this year?.

Their system allows for a no name goalie to continue to record wins, while without Bernier/Reimer efforts this year as the Leafs are outplayed and out shot in virtually every game the results would be very different. IMO

I don't recall, who was the no name goalie that lost to the Leafs in Nashville?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Okay, let's hear your ideas on who doesn't play their best CENTER on their first line. You could argue that Boston doesn't with Bergeron, but Kreijci and Bergeron are a 1a/1B combo. But ..... Where else in the league does this happen?

I'm not sure that them being a CENTER is a huge deal in this debate, on a lot of teams the first line center is the best forward on the team, therefore attracks the top defenders, thus making it the first line. However, in situations where the 1st line C doesn't define the team, there is a lot of question about who ices the best center with their best wings.

To save time since line combos tend to be a moving target on a game-to-game basis, I'm using this site: http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/

MacKinnon v.s. Stastny? Debatable who's actually better with MacKinnon so inexperienced.
Johansen v.s. Anisimov? Debatable.
Barkov v.s. Bjugstad? Debatable.

I find this surprising, but is Plekanec playing on Montreal's third line? Though, looks like tons of weird movement in there to get balanced scoring.

Fisher over Legwand? Debatable.

With Stamkos down, Killorn with St. Louis over Filpulla? Not so sure they have the best Center at the top there.

Of note but not a center, looks like a Sedin got moved down to balance scoring on Canucks, pretty significant move to get a balanced attack?

The point being is that teams move forwards around to balance scoring, it's nothing new. It sometimes even gets hard to determine what is a "first", "second" line etc.. look at that montreal line-up for example.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't recall, who was the no name goalie that lost to the Leafs in Nashville?

A shutout by Bernier really wouldn't have mattered who was in net. ;)

Barry Trotz is one of the longest employed coaches in professional sports (not just hockey) and there is a reason for that. His systems, despite playing in a small market and being among the budget & lowest spending cap teams is successful and consistent over time.

Our Leafs have lost 5 of their last 8 games in November and sliding in the standings after a quick start as being outplayed and outshot is catching up to them.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Nashville has always had our number at the ACC for some strange reason, even during the Pat Quinn era.

Last night had 'letdown' written all over it.

I am pretty sure we had a huge comeback win against Nashville at ACC three years ago. One where Lebda gave up puck on PP and then they scored and then we scored 3 or 4 back to back PP goals.

EDIT: Found it

Kessley Snipes*

Cam Charron is an agenda based blogger of terrible opinions. He has No cred at all.

There is no doubt Kessel and JVR play their best hockey with Bozak, all one needs is to put down the stats sheet and turn on the TV and watch a game.

"I don't understand basic arithmetic, so I dismiss those opinions based on them and claim the author is agenda based"

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Find it hard to believe so many people are jumping on Bernier after he's virtually bailed us out of every game he's played in. Ridiculous.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
"I don't understand basic arithmetic, so I dismiss those opinions based on them and claim the author is agenda based"

Or I'd rather watch a hockey game, and use hard stats as opposed to cherry picking stats to fit into an agenda. I would hope most people would use a balanced approach as I do.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No more riduclous than...

Find it hard to believe so many people are jumping on Bernier after he's virtually bailed us out of every game he's played in. Ridiculous.

How Reimer was bailed on, in fact even less so. Reimer bailed us out of a 1 and 3 scenario against Boston. This team plays for Reimer. IF we can propose throwing this guy away then we can call for justice. "Play Reimer !"

Reimer 5 - 2.

Bernier 8 - 6.

It is not ludicrous to say it is his turn.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I loved Bernier's rebound control the first few times he played but the more I watch and think about it - it really doesn't matter a lot in the Leaf system. Collapsing and boxing out is the system so having extra rebounds isn't exactly playing to a weakness.

Bernier has let in a few too many stinkers for my liking, at the worst possible times no less. It might be he just isn't mentally ready to play the #1 role which Carlyle/Nonis seem to expect from him.

Riemer seems to have a lot more fight when push comes to shove, he doesn't look pretty and makes mistakes but he cheats less which forces him to do things the hard way. That fanned shot goal is one Riemer gets, it's one of his strengths, making ridiculous saves after putting himself out of position. I am sure he also stops that weak 4th goal, it was a lazy/cheat play by Bernier.

I really think if Riemer is in last night it's at least OT, even with the team pretending to be pylons for 35 minutes.

tl;dr Bernier probably has more raw talent but Riemer plays harder and more consistently - so far.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Or I'd rather watch a hockey game, and use hard stats as opposed to cherry picking stats to fit into an agenda. I would hope most people would use a balanced approach as I do.

Charron is using 'hard stats' and a large sample size, the numbers are what they are. It speaks volumes that you haven't addressed any of the actual content of the article.

You're among the worst agenda driven, cherry picking, distributors of arse gravy around here, there's nothing 'balanced' about you.

The fact that you've claimed to debunk an article you've admitted to not even reading is nothing more than comedy.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
How Reimer was bailed on, in fact even less so. Reimer bailed us out of a 1 and 3 scenario against Boston. This team plays for Reimer. IF we can propose throwing this guy away then we can call for justice. "Play Reimer !"

Reimer 5 - 2.

Bernier 8 - 6.

It is not ludicrous to say it is his turn.

I have no problem giving Reimer a start. He deserves to play. That has nothing to do with Bernier, really.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I loved Bernier's rebound control the first few times he played but the more I watch and think about it - it really doesn't matter a lot in the Leaf system. Collapsing and boxing out is the system so having extra rebounds isn't exactly playing to a weakness.

Bernier has let in a few too many stinkers for my liking, at the worst possible times no less. It might be he just isn't mentally ready to play the #1 role which Carlyle/Nonis seem to expect from him.

Riemer seems to have a lot more fight when push comes to shove, he doesn't look pretty and makes mistakes but he cheats less which forces him to do things the hard way. That fanned shot goal is one Riemer gets, it's one of his strengths, making ridiculous saves after putting himself out of position. I am sure he also stops that weak 4th goal, it was a lazy/cheat play by Bernier.

I really think if Riemer is in last night it's at least OT, even with the team pretending to be pylons for 35 minutes.

tl;dr Bernier probably has more raw talent but Riemer plays harder and more consistently - so far.

And perhaps some of the saves Bernier did would be ones Reimer would struggle with. Can't just look at a part of the picture.

Either way, goalies have bad games. It doesn't make them bad. Reimer got pulled this season, it doesn't mean anything else than that he had a bad day just like every goalie has.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Has a lot to do with our personnel. Phaneuf is probably one of the few players that can consistently drive possession against trap teams. He's very difficult to take the puck off of, and personally, I'd be retaining him over anyone except for Kessel.

Unfortunately, Kessel needs to be complimented by two PWF and more versatile top pairing to be more consistent. In other words, we need a two-way, creative, defenceman (i.e. McDonagh) and, defensively-responsible, PWF centre that can out-muscle his opposition. Once we achieve that we'll be very consistent, and Phaneuf will look like a bigger steal at $7 million.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Actually I read that, the poster is happy the line is working, regardless of who the center is. Funny how people take offence on who plays center, even if the team is doing well, winning games, and scoring lots of goals.

Regardless of those facts, people still want Kadri out there, even though Bozak has shown he belongs there, and Kadri has failed thus far.

Some people are even suggesting Bolland would be a better option than Bozak?!

So would Malkin who is as available as Bolland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad