Post-Game Talk: Pathetic effort by the buds 2:4.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
It was obvious after that loss to Buffalo on Friday, if not before, that this is not an elite team. They're a moderately above average team that should make it into the playoffs, but as one of the lower seeds in the conference, and they'll probably not make it out of the first round.

I've said it before, this team is definitely not better than last year's and may even be worse. The goaltending is basically the same, since Bernier is about the same as a healthy Reimer. Defense is at most marginally better, we improved by getting rid of Holzer and Kostka, but Franson has regressed, Liles was probably just as good as Gardiner has been, Rielly is too green defensively, and Ranger hasn't been great. Up front we've just gotten worse. Bolland isn't all that much better than Grabovski in regular season games, and Clarkson has been a huge downgrade from MacArthur. And of course... Carlyle seems to be getting diminishing returns, everyone knows that hard-ass coaches tend to have a short shelf-life and I wonder if he's getting close to his expiry date.

Disappointed in how Nonis' work so far is turning out. I like Clarkson but not at that price. We could have really used that money on a second pairing d-man who isn't Franson or Ranger.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Should pull the goalie halfway through the period, like Millen mentioned Roger did.

Also, it's hilariously senseless to pick one player out when 90% of the team played like garbage for 60 minutes. No doubt they were too happy with the 1st period.

Empty net misses were pretty funny.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Our D needs to be

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Rielly-Good RH vet
Gardiner-Franson

Gardiner and Franson are not that good.

I would love to somehow trade Gardiner for Girardi.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
It was obvious after that loss to Buffalo on Friday, if not before, that this is not an elite team. They're a moderately above average team that should make it into the playoffs, but as one of the lower seeds in the conference, and they'll probably not make it out of the first round.

I've said it before, this team is definitely not better than last year's and may even be worse. The goaltending is basically the same, since Bernier is about the same as a healthy Reimer. Defense is at most marginally better, we improved by getting rid of Holzer and Kostka, but Franson has regressed, Liles was probably just as good as Gardiner has been, Rielly is too green defensively, and Ranger hasn't been great. Up front we've just gotten worse. Bolland isn't all that much better than Grabovski in regular season games, and Clarkson has been a huge downgrade from MacArthur.

As any team would be moderate missing 2 of 3 top C

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the good:
that first period.

the bad:
that very horrendous second period.

what hurts:
first in the east was up for grabs (depending on how Tampa played), and we literally let slip through our fingers.

we clearly - with Bernier in net - need to score at least 3 goals, because dude is letting in really bad softees.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
It was obvious after that loss to Buffalo on Friday, if not before, that this is not an elite team. They're a moderately above average team that should make it into the playoffs, but as one of the lower seeds in the conference, and they'll probably not make it out of

Everyone knows the leafs are a lower dead playoff team in the east. No one expected them to be an elite team competing for the cup.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Nashville is terrible at scoring on the empty net against Toronto. I remember a couple years ago Smith put one over the net on a breakaway with the net empty.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Wow ugly last 2 periods by the Leafs, they simply got outworked in the tough areas repeatedly. Also Gardiner was absolutely brutal, to machine. Bernier looked pretty ordinary too, but he didn't get much help

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
images

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
That was an ugly game and we need a big upgrade on D. I'm done with Gardiner and Franson. If Franson is looking for a long term contract next off-season he can go look somewhere else. When it comes down to it, Gardiner/Franson/Ranger are the weak links. If I'm Nonis I'm dangling Gardiner out there to anyone who will take him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
the good:
that first period.

the bad:
that very horrendous second period.

what hurts:
first in the east was up for grabs (depending on how Tampa played), and we literally let slip through our fingers.

we clearly - with Bernier in net - need to score at least 3 goals, because dude is letting in really bad softees.

And, Scrivens is ripping it up with L.A. :shakehead

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Call up Leivo, and Percy.

Sit Lupul, Kadri, Franson, and Gardiner

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Leivo - Holland - Clarkson
Raymond - McClement - Kulemin
Smithson - Smith - Orr

Phaneuf - Gunner