Pat Lafontaine resigns position with team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karate Johnson*

A reliable reporter with a connection to Lafontaine from his NYI career/NYC presence

A tweet that corroborates what others have reported

A tweet that reasonably explains what might have occurred

A tweet that has not been denied by the organization/Pat nor revoked by the reporter

It is possible that this information is inaccurate. I believe it is much likelier that the information is correct.

"Burden of proof" is a court philosophy. To use it here is disingenuous

So,mot be clear, we are still talking about one tweet from a guy who wires for anothe team?

Did Botta develop a solid relationship with Patty during the 6 weeks he was there?

You can call it whatever you want. It's most certainly not enough to treat as an absolute truth.

I'm gonna be done responding to you now because it's really weird.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There was a Sports Break during the 1st intermission of the Hawks-Penguins game and I thought I heard Adam Benigni say it was something to do with Pegula's inner circle.

I hope Tim Murray can navigate this "inner circle" moving forward.

Karate Johnson*

Why can't I edit posts? I screw them up posting on a phone all the time and it's really annoying

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Nothing

Just a lot of repetitive pages referring to a tweet stating something anyone could infer

And yet we have hfsabres thinking the concussion-demented lafontaine threw a tantrum on his way out of the office

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
There was a Sports Break during the 1st intermission of the Hawks-Penguins game and I thought I heard Adam Benigni say it was something to do with Pegula's inner circle.

That'd be Battista, right? Between notifying Nolan of the trade (kinda weird person to do it) and this new rumor of being someone high in the front office... looks like it's likely Battista.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
If Lafontaine wanted to re-sign Miller then I'm glad he's gone.

I think that's the biggest thing.

Miller would never get them a Stanley Cup during his tenure. This team is years away from even sniffing playoffs.

Miller re-signing is an emotional choice, not a rational one.

Cause it's completely opposite of the Sabres` mission statement, winning a Stanley Cup.

If you're making hockey decisions that are contrary to your team's goals, then it's better that he leaves sooner rather than later. But at least do it quietly and after the trade deadline. Just don't do it the way this crapola mess is playing out.

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
jeez -take my wife out for a fancy dinner and come home to this. Someone felt dissed and had an easy exit. I liked Patty but thought his hiring was pure pr. Speculation seems to be he wanted to micromanage-whatever-this reflects badly on EVERYONE.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That'd be Battista, right? Between notifying Nolan of the trade (kinda weird person to do it) and this new rumor of being someone high in the front office... looks like it's likely Battista.

It was reported that Battista was involved in making the calls to get permission to interview GM candidates as well.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I must have missed Battista's story. Who is this?

Was the former PSU Mens Hockey Club head coach. When they got D1 via Pegula donation, he became an executive in their sports administration. Pegula hired him beginning of the year before LaFontaine as VP of Hockey Related Business with the Sabres.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007

Who cares who relayed the message to Nolan? Anyone in the front office could have been sent down to do it. I find it hard to believe that has anything to do with anything.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Was the former PSU Mens Hockey Club head coach. When they got D1 via Pegula donation, he became an executive in their sports administration. Pegula hired him beginning of the year before LaFontaine as VP of Hockey Related Business with the Sabres.

Crony.txt :laugh:

Karate Johnson*

I must have missed Battista's story. Who is this?

Batista.jpg

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Who cares who relayed the message to Nolan? Anyone in the front office could have been sent down to do it. I find it hard to believe that has anything to do with anything.

You're probably right. I just hadn't heard Battista's name mentioned before Nolan's interview last night. Combined with hearing that he's Pegula's guy, it seemed more likely than any others, to me. Obviously, it's just guesswork but that was my reasoning.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

It's just curious that's all. Battista has no NHL experience, and yet he is in the war room for trades. Then again Pegula had no NHL experience and he used to talk to Darcy more than he talked to his wife.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I'm not even sure what Pegula's inner circle and Lafontaine would be butting heads about...

Not one thing makes sense in the whole ordeal

I am sure it will be the top story on Channel 2 news or any of the local Buffalo stations at 11pm. I don't think he mentioned Murray at all. Reflections of the Summer of 97 all over again

Karate Johnson*

Why did they not just wait t out, then have a press conference next Friday where zlaFontaine says "enjoyed it here, job here is done, good hands with Murray, returning to NY to work fr the league"

Sure there would be speculation, but they would have been ahead of it instead of getting outed by reporters taking wild guesses.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Also KJ I missed your post at the top but Patty played on the island for a while too not to mention working for the nhl in the same market

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
It's just curious that's all. Battista has no NHL experience, and yet he is in the war room for trades. Then again Pegula had no NHL experience and he used to talk to Darcy more than he talked to his wife.

They could have literally sent any Sabre employee that Nolan would recognize to deliver the message. Marty Biron could have been told to run down the steps and I don't think we would just randomly blame things on him.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I am going to flip over to channel 4 for a few minutes to see what they have to say and see if they have a different angle to it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Adam Benigni ‏@AdamBenigni 5m

Conflicting information for sources on LaFotaine resignation... if you wanna call it that... @wgrz

Adam Benigni ‏@AdamBenigni 4m

talked to more than a half dozen sources... common theme = power struggle and subsequent rift... @wgrz

Adam Benigni ‏@AdamBenigni 3m

and that a good portion of this falls on LaFontaine how he tried to use power within organization... @wgrz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad