Proposal: Pat Kane to Buffalo

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
So was the OP.
No it wasn't. It is a high price to pay but you are receiving one of the best in the game and ridding yourself of Okposo which is about equal value to a late first. Casey Mittelstadt has less value now than he did before the season started and Nylander is likely never going to stick as a top 6 in the NHL, he isn't lighting up the AHL.

Ristolinen is tough to give up, but the Sabres have Dahlin and Risto can be replaced.

Your proposal of 2 firsts and cap dumps is flat out ridiculous.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
No it wasn't. It is a high price to pay but you are receiving one of the best in the game and ridding yourself of Okposo which is about equal value to a late first. Casey Mittelstadt has less value now than he did before the season started and Nylander is likely never going to stick as a top 6 in the NHL, he isn't lighting up the AHL.

Ristolinen is tough to give up, but the Sabres have Dahlin and Risto can be replaced.

Your proposal of 2 firsts and cap dumps is flat out ridiculous.
Well, ridding ourselves of Okposo, as you put it, doesn't mean gutting the team's prospect pool. As for Mittelstadt and Nylander, that's your opinion, both are only 20 yrs old, you do realize this, no?
It's beyond a high price to pay for the twilight yrs 4 seasons of Kane. It's ridiculous and no GM save maybe Chia would ever in their right mind consider that offer.

Buffalo needs a 2C more than a star RW'er, and the 1st's, if they do go somewhere, will be for a younger player with term or younger players with term and/or rights retained. They may only be complimentary or secondary scoring type players.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There is no package that the Sabres could possibly offer up to the Hawks for Kane that doesn't involve either Eichel or Dahlin. If you're not willing to part with either, then you're not getting Kane. Simple as that. Kane is still a top 5 player and plays a similar style to Martin St. Louis, who put up 52 points in 74 games at age 39, and had a 99 point season at age 35. Kane isn't declining anytime soon. He's only gotten better since 2014-15.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Pat Kane is worth a huge haul and I would love to see him come home, but it just doesn’t make sense for Buffalo.

Even if you add Kane to Buffalo’s roster without subtracting a single piece, they still aren’t a contender.

Let alone if you take away their #1 RD (with no one really even in the system to potentially replace him) + their (hopeful) #2 C of the future + one of their few legit prospects with top 6 potential + two 1st round picks on top of that.

Buffalo has a ways to go yet. They need to build up some actual NHL depth before they can even think about making a trade like this.

This trade solves none of Buffalo’s problems and creates a whole new set of them.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
For:

Rasmus Ristolinen
Casey Mittelstadt
Kyle Okposo
Sabres two highest 1sts this year
Alex Nylander

Flame on!

Good G-d. Why would Sabres do this? Kane is great but doesn't fit our window. I like dumping Okposo, subtract the bad first for this. So it's Nylander, a top 15, Mittlestadt and Risto for Kane. Overpayment.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
What you said! Coming from a Hab' fan I would never want to give up that much more a great player that is past his prime..

I'll preface this by saying I'm a St Louis Blues fan, I hate our rival Chicago Blackhawks. Kane is the face of Chicago making him public enemy #1. Even with that bias I can admit he's still a great player, and not over the hill...

Interesting fact for you, before you continue spreading this false narrative... Kane has played 12 NHL seasons (counting this current one, which I bolded for ease of reference) and in descending points order they rank...

106 pts, 82 GP, 1.293 PPG in 2015-16
89 pts, 82 GP, 1.085 PPG in 2016-17
88 pts, 82 GP, 1.073 PPG in 2009-10
76 pts, 82 GP, 0.927 PPGin 2017-18
73 pts, 73 GP, 1.00 PPG in 2010-11
72 pts, 82 GP, 0.878 PPG in 2007-08
70 pts, 49 GP, 1.429 PPG in 2018-19
70 pts, 80 GP, 0.875 PPG in 2008-09
69 pts, 69 GP, 1.00 PPG in 2013-14
66 pts, 82 GP, 0.805 PPG in 2011-12
64 pts, 61 GP, 1.049 PPG in 2014-15
55 pts, 47 GP, 1.117 PPG in 2012-13

Let's extrapolate a bit, finishing out this season and the lockout shortened season to 82 GP.

*117 pts, 82 GP @1.429 PPG 2018-19
*96 pts, 82 GP @1.117 PPG 2012-13

So, currently his points rank 7/12 for his completed seasons. He's playing at his best PPG rate yet.

3/4 of his best seasons came in the past 3 years. I have no doubt that this season joins that for his best 4/5 seasons being his past 4 years (he needs 4 more points for this to be true).

Kane has 8 PPG or better seasons, but ranking his seasons by PPG looks like this... 2018-19, 2015-16, 2012-13, 2016-17, 2009-10, 2014-15, 2013-14, 2010-11, 2017-18, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2011-12.

So, looking at his numbers for more than 2 f***ing seconds shows your statement about him being past his prime to be an outright lie. Please take a moment to fact check before spewing a false narrative to support your point of view.

Funny enough, I don't make the trade, because I think that it involves giving up too many futures, and no matter how great Kane is, he's only able to play so many minutes a game. Even if he becomes the next Jagr and plays until he's 45, Buffalo loses this trade because they become a 1 line team (See Edmonton or Colorado for reference). Having a godly 1st line is great, until it gets shut down and you slump hard. It makes you a bubble team at best, not a contender.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
That’s pretty bad for Buffalo and Hawks wouldn’t do that for sentimental reasons. But if thinking about it rationally, that would be a hell of a package.

Hawks would get basically potential 1C, top-6 forward prospect, two top-10 picks with their own (so potentially Hughes/Kakko, Turcotte and Boldy from 2019 draft) and Ristolainen, who would be the best Dman in Blackhawks.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you're overlooking a few hard facts...

The Blues pick is top 10 protected, and Buffalo's pick looks like it's going to be a 11-20 pick... So you're looking at your own top 5 pick, and 2 in the 11-20 range (if the Blues continue improving). Otherwise that 2nd 1st rounder is San Jose's, which is 17th -31st.

There's no way you have 3 top 10 picks with this package. At best Buffalo nose dives and the Blues improve and you get your own top 5 pick, Buffalo's top 10 pick and the Blues pick at 11.

I don't view Mittelstadt as a true 1C potential, you're looking more at a Duchene type 1B or 2A centre. A potential top 6er in Nylander. And Ristolainen, who is absolutely going to shore up your blue line as a top 1-3 defender on your team over the next decade (depending on how Jokiharju and Boqvist develop over said decade ). You also get to continue enjoying cap hell, courtesy of the added 2.3 mil in cap you just added for the next 3 years (not counting re-upping Mittelstadt and Ristolainen).

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The Sabres have a great young core of Eichel and Dahlin to build around and should continue to do that. If that plan goes well they should be ready to start competing for championships around the time the Lightning and Leafs are weakened from cap casualties and aging complementary players. The OP’s trade doesn’t make the Sabres contenders now and it kills them going forward.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
There is no package that the Sabres could possibly offer up to the Hawks for Kane that doesn't involve either Eichel or Dahlin. If you're not willing to part with either, then you're not getting Kane. Simple as that. Kane is still a top 5 player and plays a similar style to Martin St. Louis, who put up 52 points in 74 games at age 39, and had a 99 point season at age 35. Kane isn't declining anytime soon. He's only gotten better since 2014-15.

Got your back with some numbers below this post, though you did nice work with the St Louis comparable!

I didn't feel like digging up comparables after taking the time to list Kane's seasons by point totals and PPG rates.

Suffice to say that the Sabres aren't acquiring Kane, because Chicago isn't trading him for anything reasonable.

/thread

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Got your back with some numbers below this post, though you did nice work with the St Louis comparable!

I didn't feel like digging up comparables after taking the time to list Kane's seasons by point totals and PPG rates.

Suffice to say that the Sabres aren't acquiring Kane, because Chicago isn't trading him for anything reasonable.

/thread
It would take a massive overpayment to acquire Kane. Players like him don't get traded in the cap world, because there is no way to get fair value back without taking a massive risk on futures. It is the same reason why McDavid isn't goint anywhere unless he wants to. It is impossible to get back fair value for a player like that.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
The OP is too much but I'd think about: Reinhart + Nylander + two 1st round picks. But you'd have to take Seabrook too while we take Okposo.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He’s “aging” :biglaugh:
... plus just because his mommy squirted him out in Buffalo doesn’t make him more or less desirable to get. He still has 4-5 years of very good to above average production left, He’s not going anywhere unless he wants to move on. And it won’t be to Buffalo. He’s be smart to either stay in Chicago, or go to a team with many great pieces in place where he doesn’t need to be heavily leaned on.

SenatorJoey

Jan 15, 2019
Sabres immediately have the best line in the league (Skinner, Eichel, Kane) and reduce the cap hit. They will be more attractive to free agents and could contend next year with the right moves.

1. Patrick Kane ain't leaving Chicago anytime soon.
2. Jonathan Toews will be leaving way before Kane.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder how long after Patrick Kane retires we will still see people throwing out bad ideas of Kane suiting up for the Sabres?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad