Post-Game Talk: Pasta wins it in OT - Bruins regain control of destiny

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
But the 4th line is BETTER defensively!! Why put the kids out there because they aren't good DEFENSIVELY! They'll just let in goals! We can win these games 0-0, or even in the shootout.

Seriously though, we've watched one-third of the total games this year go into OT or the shootout. He's trying to win games 0-0 and that is horribly frustrating to watch, and it doesn't work in the playoffs at all.

Well honestly I think they have a better chance of winning 0-0 or 1-1 games in the playoffs because there is no shootout and they play 5 on 5 until someone scores.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He hates kids and he hates offense. No matter how many times this has been proven wrong.

He loves offense as long as it's produced within his system. He used to have the horses to do that...Not anymore, so like anything in life you need to make an adjustment.

Maybe it's not the kids , maybe he doesn't trust Chara, Seids and Rask?

Who knows, seems ridiculous.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well honestly I think they have a better chance of winning 0-0 or 1-1 games in the playoffs because there is no shootout and they play 5 on 5 until someone scores.

Yeah but rolling four lines, these lines, in OT in the play-offs is recipe for a quick exit IMO. They are the worst 5-5 playoff team there is other than Montreal

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
He loves offense as long as it's produced within his system. He used to have the horses to do that...Not anymore, so like anything in life you need to make an adjustment.

This exactly , they're not generating tons of chances through the transition and the neutral zone trapping like in previous seasons.

Other teams are on to that style of play, which is why the kid line has been more effective, they're the only line that generates scoring chances with speed and skill.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Anybody for giving Paille a game and putting Talbot on the 9th floor? Paille had like 5 goals in 10 games for a stretch.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I doubt he doesn't trust Rask, but I'm guessing the shaky D has a lot to do with it.

I think the system is great and leads to winning and I have no problem with the system whatsoever. My problem lies with the way he gives out TOI. The 4th line sees way too much ice, simple as that. There's no denying that, Campbell has been around 15mins/night this month.

Jack mentioned a stat last game about their inability to weat teams down as the game goes on. Their best period is the first and their worst is the third. Probably not a coincidence that those kids are sitting more in the 3rd than the 1st.

I believe he's a good coach, I just think he relys to heavily on guys that he shouldn't. Soderberg had a stretch of 1 goal in 23 or so games and he was still getting 18ish minutes a night. Spooner's line was putting up pretty good for the past 3-4 weeks and their TOI is going down. It just doesn't add up, to me anyways.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
How many posters need to disagree with you before you maybe consider that to not be factually correct?

Spooner was criminally undershooting before the 3rd game of this recent callup. He'd just pass up on shots in favor of forcing passes. In his own end he was considerably worse than right now, and right now he's still struggling there (which is fine, he'll improve). I'm not sure what you were watching, but most of the time the only thing that was impressive with him early this year was a few breakouts into the zone, and a few nice passes. That's not going to get you on the Bruins big squad.

You're also comparing him to 4th liners, but players like Spooner are never considered for the 4th line checking role, specially when they can't play the PK like the players you did mention. Spooner was only ever going to make it here as a top 9 forward.

Question: Why do you think Pasta made it up quicker than Spooner? Outside of the fact that he could play a position we needed, the second part of that answer is the key. And to this day Pasta still does it a bit better than Spooner, at 6 years his junior. Pasta made it up almost right away as an 18 year old. You think Claude does that just because he has a man-crush on him?

And thus was it forever answered: what was the least self-aware statement in HF history.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Late to this; wanted to address it yesterday but forgot.

I absolutely loved the play that led to the OT goal. It is a play I haven't seen this group do enough this year. I don't know how you teach it, or practice it, but it was beautiful. Spooner took the puck up high in the corner. Lucic, who I expected to be the recipient let the Spooner pass go. However, Khudobin, expecting the puck to get on Lucic's stick oh his left of the net traverses to that side. He's horribly out of position because the pass went through, and landed on Pasternak's stick, who had been trailing the play but coming up the centre. 'Dobin couldn't get there in time.

It was beautiful. I don't know if it was because it was 4 on 4 and open ice can lead to that, or Carolina didn't have any defensively minded players on at that point.

I'd love to see more of that!

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Pretty sure Soderberg made that pass.

And I'm pretty sure he wasn't making that pass to Pasta. Or that the Pasta man was aiming Under Khudobin with all the net open upstairs.

But I don't care one bit. Just like the TOI of the lines right now.

I want wins and the playoffs. And that goal was huge.

Some were laughing ironicly that Pasta would be the savior when he was called up. Who is laughing now? :laugh:

bruin blades*

you know why the young kids are having success? because they r not playing major minutes...we r not in position to have them make mistakes because of our position in the standings whats the point in them scoring 1 goal then allowing 2? julien knows what hes doing they r out their every power play.. 4 on 4 and in ot...but im sorry 3rd per of a 2-2 game I rather have Campbell line out their to ensure we get atleast a point

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
you know why the young kids are having success? because they r not playing major minutes...we r not in position to have them make mistakes because of our position in the standings whats the point in them scoring 1 goal then allowing 2? julien knows what hes doing they r out their every power play.. 4 on 4 and in ot...but im sorry 3rd per of a 2-2 game I rather have Campbell line out their to ensure we get atleast a point

Or maybe the score 3 and give up 2?

bruin blades*

Or maybe the score 3 and give up 2?

they might but u really wanna risk that when every point is needed tie game 3rd period u rather ryan spooner taking faceoff than Campbell? Campbell will block shots and get u to ot so ryan spooner can do his thing 4 on 4 if these kids played 20 min a night we would be toast they are not ready for that kinda min especially at this time of the season when 1 mistake could cost you the season..julien puts them in position to succeed and play to their strengths

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
they might but u really wanna risk that when every point is needed tie game 3rd period u rather ryan spooner taking faceoff than Campbell? Campbell will block shots and get u to ot so ryan spooner can do his thing 4 on 4 if these kids played 20 min a night we would be toast they are not ready for that kinda min especially at this time of the season when 1 mistake could cost you the season..julien puts them in position to succeed and play to their strengths

Yet Julien keeps rolling out Chara and Seids in all situations. These two have been handling pucks like their hemophealiacs installing a barbed wired fence.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

Just making the point that neither group is necessarily right.

How do you know they aren't ready? They seem to be succeeding more than not. Points are at a premium but I like to live and die by the sword. Put out Spooner and Pasta next time with a minute left defending a lead and see what happens ...

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Yet Julien keeps rolling out Chara and Seids in all situations. These two have been handling pucks like their hemophealiacs installing a barbed wired fence.

What is your point? The point argued was that vets are more reliable than rooks. That's why chara & sides play more. Also so that they can find their game since their injuries. Without chara & sides playing well, this team won't go far. Both are starting to find their games recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad