Pasta vs. Bread

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Panarin is literally carrying his line and much more of an impactful player. I wondering what his stats would be if he'd play with Bergeron and Marchand instead of Strome and Fast.

Yes he was fantastic - for 1 season, at age 28, for the first time. Not sure how repeatable that is, vs a fluke "career year" that may not be the norm.

Meanwhile - Pastrnak actually paced him also scoring 95 points - but with 48 goals (16 more) than Panarin last season. He's only 23 years old.

I agree that Pastrnak gets a ton of help from his line. In fact I might say he benefits from linemates more than any player in the league, considering how good both Marchand and Bergeron are. But - he's pretty damn good on his own too, has started his career great from a young age which bodes extremely well for future. I'm not that high on this player per se - but I do expect him to surpass Panarin career-wise for all of these reasons.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Panarin is literally carrying his line and much more of an impactful player. I wondering what his stats would be if he'd play with Bergeron and Marchand instead of Strome and Fast.

Probably not much better than a 57 goal, 111 point pace, there's only so many points to go around with the amount of ice time allocated. The linemate argument is a questionable one to me, Bergeron has been injured for long stretches each of the past 2 seasons yet Pasta (and Marchands) production actually increases when they're forced to play a more risky game with a center not as defensively sound as Bergeron. (R. Nash for example, they elevated him to a PPG+ player for a stretch when he's a career .3 PPG player.)

The games elite players produce regardless of who they're lined up with is the point I'm trying to make here.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I was going to vote Panarin, but then I read "who is going to end up with the better career", and decided to go with Pastrnak because he is five years younger and has the same amount of games played already. Those five extra years are going to add up once it's all said and done. Possibly.

Panarin's the better player now though. And likely will end up with the better peak.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Pasta has paced for ~50 goals and ~1oo points two seasons in a row now whereas this seems a bit more of an outlier season for Panarin. Obviously both are elite but I think Pasta is a touch better.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Panarin now
Easily Pastrnak career

Pastrnak if healthy could 400+ goals when he's 28.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Yes he was fantastic - for 1 season, at age 28, for the first time. Not sure how repeatable that is, vs a fluke "career year" that may not be the norm.

Meanwhile - Pastrnak actually paced him also scoring 95 points - but with 48 goals (16 more) than Panarin last season. He's only 23 years old.

I agree that Pastrnak gets a ton of help from his line. In fact I might say he benefits from linemates more than any player in the league, considering how good both Marchand and Bergeron are. But - he's pretty damn good on his own too, has started his career great from a young age which bodes extremely well for future. I'm not that high on this player per se - but I do expect him to surpass Panarin career-wise for all of these reasons.

The question specifically asks who is a better player currently, not projected career-wise and it is Panarin. However, I think that Pasta will have a better career, yes. But Panarin might end up with a better peak season.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The question specifically asks who is a better player currently, not projected career-wise and it is Panarin. However, I think that Pasta will have a better career, yes. But Panarin might end up with a better peak season.

The OP specifically talks about better career.

We're agreed on the rest, Panarin over Pastrnak for better player today. I could see Panarin having a better peak (quite frankly - I could see last season being the best either player ever does, but we'll see). But for career I'll go Pastrnak.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The OP specifically talks about better career.

We're agreed on the rest, Panarin over Pastrnak for better player today. I could see Panarin having a better peak (quite frankly - I could see last season being the best either player ever does, but we'll see). But for career I'll go Pastrnak.

I'd argue they're seasons were basically a dead heat last year.

To preempt the "linemates" argument, Panarin played with Zibanejad. Lets stop acting like he's some 4th line scrub getting carried around. Zib had 41/34/75 in only 57 games. Good for leading the league in GPG and a 1.32 PPG. In addition, Pastrnak was without Bergeron for a stretch last year and when he was out there he wasn't always 100% with the hip issues.

Pastrnak:
48/47/95 in 70
1.36 ppg
AS-1
Rocket
4th in Hart
13.2 point shares

Panarin:
32/63/95 in 69
1.38 ppg
AS-1
3rd in Hart
11.4 point shares

Point being, they were as close to a coin flip last year as you can get.

I think the safe bet career wise is certainly Pastrnak. He just turned 24 and is rocketing up in development. His last 4 seasons per game are:

GPG: .45, .43, .58, .69
PPG: .93, .98, 1.23, 1.36

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad