Pasta vs. Bread

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd argue they're seasons were basically a dead heat last year.

To preempt the "linemates" argument, Panarin played with Zibanejad. Lets stop acting like he's some 4th line scrub getting carried around. Zib had 41/34/75 in only 57 games. Good for leading the league in GPG and a 1.32 PPG. In addition, Pastrnak was without Bergeron for a stretch last year and when he was out there he wasn't always 100% with the hip issues.

Pastrnak:
48/47/95 in 70
1.36 ppg
AS-1
Rocket
4th in Hart
13.2 point shares

Panarin:
32/63/95 in 69
1.38 ppg
AS-1
3rd in Hart
11.4 point shares

Point being, they were as close to a coin flip last year as you can get.

I think the safe bet career wise is certainly Pastrnak. He just turned 24 and is rocketing up in development. His last 4 seasons per game are:

GPG: .45, .43, .58, .69
PPG: .93, .98, 1.23, 1.36
Pretty certain Panarin played mostly with Strome, not with Zibanejad.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I voted Pasta on this one. I think he is more of a complete player (goes into the dirty areas). Bread man has more skill in my opinion. Can’t go wrong with either.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yes he was fantastic - for 1 season, at age 28, for the first time. Not sure how repeatable that is, vs a fluke "career year" that may not be the norm.

Meanwhile - Pastrnak actually paced him also scoring 95 points - but with 48 goals (16 more) than Panarin last season. He's only 23 years old.

I agree that Pastrnak gets a ton of help from his line. In fact I might say he benefits from linemates more than any player in the league, considering how good both Marchand and Bergeron are. But - he's pretty damn good on his own too, has started his career great from a young age which bodes extremely well for future. I'm not that high on this player per se - but I do expect him to surpass Panarin career-wise for all of these reasons.

While this is true, it’s not like Panarin was fantastic for one year. He had a career year, yes, but he’s pretty fantastic every year. 169 points in 161 games for the offensive juggernaut Blue Jackets before this year. 415 in 391 career. It’s not like a 65-70 point player just had an outlier. He’s increased his production every year since coming to the NHL and was an 85-90 point player going into last year. Meanwhile, he still led the league in EV scoring by a large margin and dragged the Rangers to the playoff bubble essentially himself.

Actually Panarin has played 391 games and Pasta has played 390. Panarin has 415 points to Pasta’s 379. Yes, Panarin starting his career at 24 helps, but Pasta’s last 3 years are 80, 81 (in 66) and 95. Bread’s are 82, 87 (in 79) and 95. I don’t know that I’d call it a “fluke” year, especially considering how much less offensive talent Panarin typically plays with. He also has 311 of his career 415 points at EV.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
A really good bread is fabulous on its own. Pasta needs (just like the player) a lot of support to be good.

This is a tremendous post. A good bread is fantastic on its own. Pasta with no sauce or accompaniment is not. But, pasta with the right sauce and accoutrements can be heavenly. I don’t know what this has to do with hockey, but I feel like it applies to the players too.

Reactions: Luckylarry

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes he was fantastic - for 1 season, at age 28, for the first time. Not sure how repeatable that is, vs a fluke "career year" that may not be the norm.

Meanwhile - Pastrnak actually paced him also scoring 95 points - but with 48 goals (16 more) than Panarin last season. He's only 23 years old.

I agree that Pastrnak gets a ton of help from his line. In fact I might say he benefits from linemates more than any player in the league, considering how good both Marchand and Bergeron are. But - he's pretty damn good on his own too, has started his career great from a young age which bodes extremely well for future. I'm not that high on this player per se - but I do expect him to surpass Panarin career-wise for all of these reasons.

Panarin is actually the league's top 5v5 scorer over the last two years. And over a three year span, Kucherov and McDavid are the only players ahead of him. It was said many times in Columbus that if Panarin had anyone to play with on the PP he would have topped 100 pts easily.

I voted Pasta on this one. I think he is more of a complete player (goes into the dirty areas). Bread man has more skill in my opinion. Can’t go wrong with either.

It doesn't sound like you know Panarin. Complete player that wins his battles is exactly who he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->