Pasta vs. Bread

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Both.

If the restaurant doesn't bring you a basket of bread before your Spaghetti, they're shit and deserve to go out of business.

Anyways, I take Pastrnak, but you can't go wrong with either.

Reactions: OmniCube

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yes he was fantastic - for 1 season, at age 28, for the first time. Not sure how repeatable that is, vs a fluke "career year" that may not be the norm.

Meanwhile - Pastrnak actually paced him also scoring 95 points - but with 48 goals (16 more) than Panarin last season. He's only 23 years old.

I agree that Pastrnak gets a ton of help from his line. In fact I might say he benefits from linemates more than any player in the league, considering how good both Marchand and Bergeron are. But - he's pretty damn good on his own too, has started his career great from a young age which bodes extremely well for future. I'm not that high on this player per se - but I do expect him to surpass Panarin career-wise for all of these reasons.

One season? 2018 and 2019 He had seasons of 82 and 87 points playing for Columbus, in Torts' very defensive system. He moved to a team that plays a more open system and his production reflected that.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'd argue they're seasons were basically a dead heat last year.

To preempt the "linemates" argument, Panarin played with Zibanejad. Lets stop acting like he's some 4th line scrub getting carried around. Zib had 41/34/75 in only 57 games. Good for leading the league in GPG and a 1.32 PPG. In addition, Pastrnak was without Bergeron for a stretch last year and when he was out there he wasn't always 100% with the hip issues.

Pastrnak:
48/47/95 in 70
1.36 ppg
AS-1
Rocket
4th in Hart
13.2 point shares

Panarin:
32/63/95 in 69
1.38 ppg
AS-1
3rd in Hart
11.4 point shares

Point being, they were as close to a coin flip last year as you can get.

I think the safe bet career wise is certainly Pastrnak. He just turned 24 and is rocketing up in development. His last 4 seasons per game are:

GPG: .45, .43, .58, .69
PPG: .93, .98, 1.23, 1.36
Panarin played with Ryan Strome, not Zibanejad

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

To preempt the "linemates" argument, Panarin played with Zibanejad. Lets stop acting like he's some 4th line scrub getting carried around. Zib had 41/34/75 in only 57 games. Good for leading the league in GPG and a 1.32 PPG. In addition, Pastrnak was without Bergeron for a stretch last year and when he was out there he wasn't always 100% with the hip issues.

Pastrnak:
48/47/95 in 70
1.36 ppg
AS-1
Rocket
4th in Hart
13.2 point shares

Panarin:
32/63/95 in 69
1.38 ppg
AS-1
3rd in Hart
11.4 point shares

I think the safe bet career wise is certainly Pastrnak. He just turned 24 and is rocketing up in development. His last 4 seasons per game are:

Zibanejad and Panarin averaged a little over four minutes together per game at even strength this past season, for a total of 241 minutes. Bergeron and Pastrnak played together for 681 minutes.

Panarin’s most consistent line mates at even strength were Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast.

(per hockeyviz)

Reactions: LokiDog

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Pasta waits for the game to come to him. He doesn't create as many plays as guys like Panarin. It's too bad people only watch the stats and not the actual game. Don't believe me? Watch all 7 games of the 2019 SCF and see how easily he gets shut down.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
This is a tough one for me...

On one hand I do love me some bread. Classic white or rye. French Baguette with butter is always nice too. Brioche and sourdough. Plenty of solid options and the beauty is in the simplicity.

But then there’s pasta...yummmmmm. How can you not like pasta?!? From classic spaghetti and marinara to penne and vodka, Fra Diavolo, or even bolognese. The key is the sauce. Maybe add some protein. Some veggies here or there. I’m personally a fan of spice so gotta have the crushed red pepper on stand by...and of course the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

So in the end although bread gives it a run for its money, pasta is just too tasty for me to pass up.

I vote for Pasta.

Reactions: OmniCube

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Pastrnak:
48/47/95 in 70
1.36 ppg
AS-1
Rocket
4th in Hart
13.2 point shares

Panarin:
32/63/95 in 69
1.38 ppg
AS-1
3rd in Hart
11.4 point shares

That's actually false. His linemates were Edmonton-reject Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast who just signed for $2m as a UFA. He barely ever played with Zibanejad. Panarin led the league in 5v5 scoring while carrying Strome and Fast.

This is the biggest discrepancy in linemate quality you could possibly imagine among top tier players.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes he was fantastic - for 1 season, at age 28, for the first time. Not sure how repeatable that is, vs a fluke "career year" that may not be the norm.

Meanwhile - Pastrnak actually paced him also scoring 95 points - but with 48 goals (16 more) than Panarin last season. He's only 23 years old.

I agree that Pastrnak gets a ton of help from his line. In fact I might say he benefits from linemates more than any player in the league, considering how good both Marchand and Bergeron are. But - he's pretty damn good on his own too, has started his career great from a young age which bodes extremely well for future. I'm not that high on this player per se - but I do expect him to surpass Panarin career-wise for all of these reasons.
Uhhhh what? Panarin has been elite since he stepped into the NHL. He's been carrying the entire team offensively (2 teams) for years now. And he was damn good in Chicago, but obviously didn't carry the team.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->