Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Head Coach

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Put a fork in him. He's done.

At one point, I thought a Jeff Blashill analogy was appropriate in that Vincent was more of a development overseer rather than a coach who was going to bring the team into W/L success. I don't see that in him anymore.

While Chinakov was playing the best of his life prior to his injury, Marchenko has hit the skids and Voronkov's style of soft play isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of a coach who is "developing" players in a proper manner. Jiricek was developing at a pace slow enough such that Cleveland is his current address.

Texier has been a big nothing for quite a while. Boqvist doesn't appear to be getting much better.

So, he's not really proving himself to be a decent "developmental" coach IMO.

His style/communication doesn't exactly engender any great confidence either. He'll talk a tough game, but I doubt that it has much truck in the dressing room.

He was an emergency hire who is probably a Shaw-type. i.e. an asst. coach not a head coach at the NHL level.

A new GM will almost certainly send him packing.

Reactions: cslebn

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

At one point, I thought a Jeff Blashill analogy was appropriate in that Vincent was more of a development overseer rather than a coach who was going to bring the team into W/L success. I don't see that in him anymore.

While Chinakov was playing the best of his life prior to his injury, Marchenko has hit the skids and Voronkov's style of soft play isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of a coach who is "developing" players in a proper manner. Jiricek was developing at a pace slow enough such that Cleveland is his current address.

Texier has been a big nothing for quite a while. Boqvist doesn't appear to be getting much better.

His style/communication doesn't exactly engender any great confidence either. He'll talk a tough game, but I doubt that it has much truck in the dressing room.

He was an emergency hire who is probably a Shaw-type. i.e. an asst. coach not a head coach at the NHL level.

I think new GMs often keep the old coach a year as a freebie. Not my guy so not my fault kind of thing. With Vincent's deal going through next season Id expect him for another year

Also disagree on Boqvist, Id say hes gotten significantly better. Health is my question not performance

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think new GMs often keep the old coach a year as a freebie. Not my guy so not my fault kind of thing. With Vincent's deal going through next season Id expect him for another year

Also disagree on Boqvist, Id say hes gotten significantly better. Health is my question not performance
The new GM could go that direction, but I think it's unlikely. Assuming that JD gets kicked to the curb ("advisory" role) when the new GM is hired, then it's "clean sweep" time for the organization.

I think that the new management team will get their "freebie" for a few years on a macro scale (not just the coach) for being the new Sheriffs in Town. Vincent is not the guy that I would have leading my team if I'm a new GM and I'll bet he won't be the new GMs either.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'll take those juicy odds you're handing out. It's much more common than you think for a new GM to keep the new coach, for example Todd Richards when Jarmo was hired.
I would think that a GM taking over this ghastly organization would want to eliminate the stench of the past as thoroughly as possible. Leaving a third rate coach like Vincent to guide the ship would hardly signal "new beginning".

But with this sorry organization anything is possible.

Richards record was far better than Vincent's FWIW

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Be shocked if he stays but could stick through any evaluation period however long that may be. Depends on when the hire takes place. Id not want it going into late spring or off season. Give the person plenty of time.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Need to see when the hire is made, but I don't think there is anything prohibitive from firing Vincent either way.

To be honest, this was one of the biggest problems I had with Jarmo. Always too much term, from HC to players. Thankfully, Vincent must be the cheapest coach in the NHL, so I don't believe it to be cost to matter at all.

But, sure, I could see Vincent being here next year. But I wonder what that would make the coaching staff look like, and when we need to clean house around the HC, I think Vincent could just get a real raw deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would think that a GM taking over this ghastly organization would want to eliminate the stench of the past as thoroughly as possible. Leaving a third rate coach like Vincent to guide the ship would hardly signal "new beginning".

But with this sorry organization anything is possible.

Richards record was far better than Vincent's FWIW
Hyperbolic perspectives do not make for sound reasoning.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Eh, a new GM will be gambling with house money. Why not take give the guy one last shot to finish what he started, Vincent has been very clear about the process and it's a step at a time that's not going to show overnight results.

While I won't be surprised if he replaces Vincent at some point, I don't think it would be right away unless there's a coach that they think that they can't miss out on. If they don't like any of the candidates, it's buys them time to see who might be available in the next cycle.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
While I don't see ownership wanting to pay for 1. another year of Jarmo, 2. possibly another year of Babcock AND 3. another year of Vincent on top of what is needed to operate the club, it really all depends on when the coach the new GM wants to hire becomes available.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Need to see when the hire is made, but I don't think there is anything prohibitive from firing Vincent either way.

To be honest, this was one of the biggest problems I had with Jarmo. Always too much term, from HC to players. Thankfully, Vincent must be the cheapest coach in the NHL, so I don't believe it to be cost to matter at all.

But, sure, I could see Vincent being here next year. But I wonder what that would make the coaching staff look like, and when we need to clean house around the HC, I think Vincent could just get a real raw deal.

I don't think Vincent's contract is going to matter. If they don't think he's the right coach, he's gone.

But I don't think that determination will be made lightly. They will want stability for the players. We've just gone through this process of learning how to play a certain way. You can see, for example, the in zone defense looks different from the first half, they're not as bound to the middle of the zone. You don't want to have them learning a whole new book willy nilly. Following the Sabres and Oilers in the 2010s, it felt like a new coach every year, and it didn't help anything.

I still don't really have an opinion on Vincent as a coach, though there are some things I'd do differently. He's not afraid to scratch anyone, which is a big plus. The overall competitiveness of the team seems to be going in the right direction, they're more combative than they've been since Torts.

Reactions: LJ7

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Vincent will get fired. He did nothing last season to suggest he was a talented coach waiting for the opportunity and this season he just proved he was nothing special. Outside of ownership, I expect nothing near the top of the management structure will remain the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

How does first-year NHL coach Pascal Vincent fit into Columbus Blue Jackets’ GM search?

Vincent interviewed with multiple teams last summer but stuck with the Blue Jackets for what was supposed to be the final year of his contract as associate coach.

He was working with Mike Babcock, preparing for this season, but that plan unraveled on the Blue Jackets less than a week before camp. Babcock resigned after allegations surfaced that he’d violated some players’ privacy during introductory “player-coach” meetings in the summer, leaving the Blue Jackets scrambling just days before camp.

Vincent’s resume as an NHL assistant and AHL head coach in Winnipeg, along with his two years working with Brad Larsen in Columbus, made him the choice. He was promoted to the head coaching role and signed a two-year contract, which presumably gives him a small measure of job security.

Should the Jackets replace him before next season, they'll be paying Vincent and Larsen after forking over whatever it took to get Babcock’s resignation. That’s a lot of dough just to clear the decks for a new GM to replace Vincent with his own immediate coaching hire. Don't rule out that possibility, though.

Davidson chose his wording carefully when asked about the job Vincent's doing, which mirrored how Kekalainen approached the subject during a recent interview before he was fired.

“He’s an honest man,” Davidson said. “His staff works really hard. You’re seeing good things, especially with the young players, but we’re in a position now where everybody knows they have to keep getting it done here if they can. Keep working, keep driving, because when somebody new comes in, they’ve got the keys. That’s how it works, and everybody knows that."

Not a glowing review for Vincent's chances of staying. I think its a pure 50/50

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
A qualified person isn't coming here without carte blanche authority. Therefore, my prediction is...you'll see a noob come in allowing someone's dirty prints to remain on the team. Just seems a CBJ thing to do. But who knows...

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Move #1 for the new GM. No way he hitches his wagon to this guy...or at least, no way a proven GM hitches his wagon to this guy.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
If Vincent is allowed to stay, the rest of the coaching staff definitely needs the boot. Team needs more than old grinders teaching forwards & defense. Powerplay? Still a joke after how many years?

Backstrom can stay, he's probably the only coach I feel positive about.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Vincent is allowed to stay, the rest of the coaching staff definitely needs the boot. Team needs more than old grinders teaching forwards & defense. Powerplay? Still a joke after how many years?

We've changed PP coaches every year or two for the last six years. Larsen was in charge, then Torts himself, then Marty St. Louis, then Lars again, then Vincent, now Mark Recchi. Recchi, by the way, is now 16th all time in powerplay points, Ovechkin just passed him.

I don't find Recchi's public comments very encouraging but I don't know anything about what they do behind the scenes, so I won't make any comments about his job performance or McCarthy's or Backstrom's.

Reactions: LJ7

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I dn't have much of an opinion on Recchi and his influence so far and I think Backstrom will be find as a goalie coach but I think the rest of the coaching staff needs to go. They are trash and belong in the AHL.

Pascal doesn't seems ike he can lead this team to the next level. McCarthy is not an NHL defensive coach. I honestly don't know what Jared Boll does. I just realized Josef Boumedienne is on the coaching staff and I have no clue what he offers or actually does.

I really hope a new GM gets some credible f*cking people on this staff. Recchi might be the most credible staff member we have.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I dn't have much of an opinion on Recchi and his influence so far and I think Backstrom will be find as a goalie coach but I think the rest of the coaching staff needs to go. They are trash and belong in the AHL.

Pascal doesn't seems ike he can lead this team to the next level. McCarthy is not an NHL defensive coach. I honestly don't know what Jared Boll does. I just realized Josef Boumedienne is on the coaching staff and I have no clue what he offers or actually does.

I really hope a new GM gets some credible f*cking people on this staff. Recchi might be the most credible staff member we have.

"I just realized he is a coach for us. I don't know what he does, he should be fired". :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad