News Article: Pascal Dupuis - "Why I'm coming back"

Fordy

May 28, 2008
thats not true. what symtoms were not concussion related and what was their etiology?

his balance issues i thought, and as i recall even most of his long lingering symptoms were supposed to have been a result of his neck, unless i remember wrong

Fordy

May 28, 2008
that was the word at least when they first found the neck thing at least, that it was at least intensifying his issues and the concussion may not have been as severe as they assumed before knowing that

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Dupuis is a grown man and he can make any decision he wants but this seems foolish to me. I wish him the best. Personally I'd put the rest of my life at a higher priority than getting back to the NHL. The risks really outweigh the rewards imo. Sure he might prove how "tough" he is but he might also leave his kids without a dad. I hope it all works out.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
It's tough to see what my father in law is going through and my mother in law went near crazy taking care of him until she had to put him in a home. She sacrificed eight of her golden years to take care of him. He can barely walk, his speech is slurred, he can't read, his left side is completely paralyzed, and he can barely communicate. When we used to go visit while he was home, I'd offer to take care of him so my wife and mother law could have a day out. And I'm a pretty strong guy, but helping dress him and move him around is physically draining. Then there is the mental aspect of communication and it becomes frustrating for both parties when he just points and mumbles and you have no ****ing clue what he means.

Imagine dealing with that every day for eight years.

This is the kind of spot Dupuis is putting his wife in if something happens. So when people tell me it's not a selfish decision, I know they are full of ****. It's a damn game. Is it worth being a prisoner in your own body and making your wife's life hell, and not being able to play with your kids anymore just to squeak out a couple more years of your career?

Having a blood clot condition is one of the most dangerous, allowable conditions a player can return to the ice with. I can't stress that enough.

Medical clearance doesn't mean Dupuis is 100% safe from having another blood clot. Again, he was cleared last summer, came back, and had his second blood clot. People need to understand that before they spout off about medical clearance and think the risk isn't high.

If he plays out his contract and nothing happens, it will be because of a lot of luck and it won't change the fact it's a selfish decision that could essentially bring great hardship to the ones he loves.

That's what people are missing. That's what people just don't seem to get when they talk about him being a "grown man" and that he can make whatever decision he wants and it's cool and ok.

Jiggy -- again, you bring up lots to think about. I can understand your point about your mother-in-law's sacrifice and struggle; I saw similar with my father and aunt, taking care of their mother (my grandmother) who suffered through a couple of years of dementia before passing. There's no doubt it's a huge physical and psychological burden to deal with someone you love who is incapacitated; I can see why you are coming from the perspective that you are, regarding Dupuis.

IF indeed the risks are there, as you say they are, and that the medication and diet regiment he's on aren't really mitigating the chances of another clot -- that its really "playing with fire" on his part, then I agree he's making a selfish decision. I appreciate the back-and-forth with you, Jiggy; some interesting issues being brought up and discussed/thought about, IMO.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy -- again, you bring up lots to think about. I can understand your point about your mother-in-law's sacrifice and struggle; I saw similar with my father and aunt, taking care of their mother (my grandmother) who suffered through a couple of years of dementia before passing. There's no doubt it's a huge physical and psychological burden to deal with someone you love who is incapacitated; I can see why you are coming from the perspective that you are, regarding Dupuis.

IF indeed the risks are there, as you say they are, and that the medication and diet regiment he's on aren't really mitigating the chances of another clot -- that its really "playing with fire" on his part, then I agree he's making a selfish decision. I appreciate the back-and-forth with you, Jiggy; some interesting issues being brought up and discussed/thought about, IMO.

Sorry to hear that. My paternal grandfather had dementia and it's a terrible thing to watch someone go through as well.

As far as the risk, it's a very high risk what Dupuis is doing. Unfortunately I've become well versed in blood clots/strokes since '06 with my father in laws stroke. My wife, mother in law and myself had to educate ourselves extensively.

We know how the Pens like to control their public perception, and you won't hear from the org how risky this is. I suspect if the public at large was more educated about the risk factors, there would be some heavy backlash agt Dupuis' decision.

Anyway like plaidchuck said, Yinzers love a good comeback story and we have seen the litany of excuses in this thread for Dupuis' decision. So it is what it is and I'm sure Dupuis will be played up as a courageous hero, sadly.

The reality is Dupuis is a paid entertainer and if something does happen, we will all feel badly for a couple of weeks, then life goes on, right? He's not our family or our buddy. Those who love him will be left with the repercussions of his decision to try and squeak out a couple more seasons.

I see a father and a husband taking a stupid risk, most others see a courageous hockey player heroically going back on the ice. That's our society for you.

I still wish him luck, even if I think his decision is foolish.

Sheriff66

Mar 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sorry to hear that. My paternal grandfather had dementia and it's a terrible thing to watch someone go through as well.

As far as the risk, it's a very high risk what Dupuis is doing. Unfortunately I've become well versed in blood clots/strokes since '06 with my father in laws stroke. My wife, mother in law and myself had to educate ourselves extensively.

We know how the Pens like to control their public perception, and you won't hear from the org how risky this is. I suspect if the public at large was more educated about the risk factors, there would be some heavy backlash agt Dupuis' decision.

Anyway like plaidchuck said, Yinzers love a good comeback story and we have seen the litany of excuses in this thread for Dupuis' decision. So it is what it is and I'm sure Dupuis will be played up as a courageous hero, sadly.

The reality is Dupuis is a paid entertainer and if something does happen, we will all feel badly for a couple of weeks, then life goes on, right? He's not our family or our buddy. Those who love him will be left with the repercussions of his decision to try and squeak out a couple more seasons.

I see a father and a husband taking a stupid risk, most others see a courageous hockey player heroically going back on the ice. That's our society for you.

I still wish him luck, even if I think his decision is foolish.

Foolish or not it's 100% his decision to make, and you are not a doctor, but maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night???

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
...yeah. Everyone knows it's Holiday Inn Express. Get out and get off Jiggy's lawn. (Just kidding, you can stay... but you should get off his lawn.)

He appears to know more than you about this clot thing, so you should stop arguing with him now.

Also, nobody said it wasn't his decision to make. If I hear that stupid comment one more time in this thread I'm going to lose it. Americuh: land of the free, home of reading comprehension problems. "Thanks, Twittar!"

"This is an unwise and short-sighted decision..." ≠ "...he has no right to make this decision!"

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Doctors most of the time make educated guesses with diagnosis and prognosis. At the end of the day, it's up to you to take the information they provide and make a decision.
If it were me in Duper's situation I would retire. The main reason being is all of the air travel that you will have to do in a season. Sitting for hours at high altitude is actually risky for everybody, but for a guys like Duper and Letang that have stroke and or blood clot issues, it has to increase the risk factor.
Lastly remember it was doctors who ok'd Maata's return so quickly last year. I think in the back of everyone's mind last year was that maybe the Pens should give Maata extra recovery time for the shoulder, especially after the cancer scare and treatment. I understand that doctors will say that they were two separate issues. But there the body is made of up of more than a bunch of parts. Good health is a combination of mind, body and the immune system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad