• DatsyukToZetterberg (North Kariya)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not really, any of those top 10 picks will yield a great player regardless. I mean based on probabilities we've already prepared that they would be late picks, we're not like the Oilers thinking we'll win the lottery. We'll make best use of our scouting resources.
James-Duthie-HiRes2.jpg

"Nice to see you put such a brave face on things. While we have you on the line, what exactly do you think happened this year that turned your perennial playoff team into an also-ran?"

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

"Well, it looks like we have to wait on comment from tfong. For now, let's bring in one of the strong candidates for GM of the Year, @DatsyukToZetterberg. DTZ, this was your second year in the league. How were you able to make such a strong improvement this year?"

"Honestly James, I think it was a little bit of good fortune as well as sticking to the plan that we put in place last year. The 2018-2019 season was a bit of a retool and we were able to gain a lot of controllable assets. We used those assets to target some of the players available for trade, I think of the JT Miller trade as an example, and we also had a relative healthy roster for most of thid season. Combine those two things and I think you've got a recipe for success."

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
"Honestly James, I think it was a little bit of good fortune as well as sticking to the plan that we put in place last year. The 2018-2019 season was a bit of a retool and we were able to gain a lot of controllable assets. We used those assets to target some of the players available for trade, I think of the JT Miller trade as an example, and we also had a relative healthy roster for most of thid season. Combine those two things and I think you've got a recipe for success."
james-duthie.jpg

"Very true, DTZ. As the first place team, assuming the season gets scrapped, how upset would you be to be robbed of a very real chance at a championship? How likely do you think things are to pick back up at a later date?"

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

"Very true, DTZ. As the first place team, assuming the season gets scrapped, how upset would you be to be robbed of a very real chance at a championship? How likely do you think things are to pick back up at a later date?"

"I think you'd have to feel somewhat disappointed given the season the team had. That being said this is something bigger than Fantasy Hockey so if the season doesn't conclude we'll have to use this year as motivation to do just as well next season. As of now, I'd be very surprised if there was a normal regular season finish in the cards."

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
"I think you'd have to feel somewhat disappointed given the season the team had. That being said this is something bigger than Fantasy Hockey so if the season doesn't conclude we'll have to use this year as motivation to do just as well next season. As of now, I'd be very surprised if there was a normal regular season finish in the cards."
james-duthie.jpg

"Definitely this is something we've never seen before. It's great to see you keeping a positive spin on things as we all try to do. Thanks for taking the time today.

So Peppering Angus' pick, with the lowest odds in the lottery, manages to climb four spots to pick at #8. We'll try to get a hold of @Unlimited Chequing now, who must be very pleased with this result. UC?"

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Injuries and a slow start cost us unfortunately.
duthie1.png

"In a league as tight as this, sometimes that is all it can take, for sure. Do you feel like your organization did a good job capitalizing on the opportunity to restock the cupboards? How hopeful are you to return as a powerhouse next year?"

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pick #7:

11.png

7. Hamilton Slackberry
8. Peppering Angus
9. Suicide Squad
10. Grim Reapers
11. Gunslingers
12. Mighty Pigs

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
james-duthie.jpg

"So another big rise there, as the Gunslingers see their pick from Slackberry climb three spots. Not a bad days work.

We have @TooGoodreau on the line now, GM of the Flaming Horseheads. TooGoodreau, the pick you acquired from Gunslingers fell three spots in the rankings. You've had a strong year, so how big of a disappointment is this?"

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
james-duthie.jpg

"So another big rise there, as the Gunslingers see their pick from Slackberry climb three spots. Not a bad days work.

We have @TooGoodreau on the line now, GM of the Flaming Horseheads. TooGoodreau, the pick you acquired from Gunslingers fell three spots in the rankings. You've had a strong year, so how big of a disappointment is this?"

“Hey James, let me just start off by saying I’m a big fan of the program. I would be lying if I said the pick dropping wasn’t a disappointment, but at the same time we didn’t hold much hope on that pick. We have one of the best scouting departments, and I believe we’ll still be able to find a prospect who could make a difference for us in a few years”

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
“Hey James, let me just start off by saying I’m a big fan of the program. I would be lying if I said the pick dropping wasn’t a disappointment, but at the same time we didn’t hold much hope on that pick. We have one of the best scouting departments, and I believe we’ll still be able to find a prospect who could make a difference for us in a few years”
Screen-Shot-2014-03-28-at-3.45.02-PM-615x345.png

"Well, that's good to hear. So far the GMs have been very emotionally stable, and that's something we really appreciate here.

On the other side of the spectrum, presumably a big sigh of relief for @GAMO1992 whose pick in the prospect draft belongs to the Flaming Wings. GAMO, how happy are you to know that that pick didn't end up in the top five?"

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada

"Well, that's good to hear. So far the GMs have been very emotionally stable, and that's something we really appreciate here.

On the other side of the spectrum, presumably a big sigh of relief for @GAMO1992 whose pick in the prospect draft belongs to the Flaming Wings. GAMO, how happy are you to know that that pick didn't end up in the top five?"

Hey James, glad to be back! You could definitely say when we saw the reveal here that there was a collective sigh of relief. We made a gamble last season in a trade that didn't quite end up working out. After being shafted in the lottery for multiple seasons there was a slight nagging feeling in the room we could see that pick top 3, so it's very relaxing to know where the pick was.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hey James, glad to be back! You could definitely say when we saw the reveal here that there was a collective sigh of relief. We made a gamble last season in a trade that didn't quite end up working out. After being shafted in the lottery for multiple seasons there was a slight nagging feeling in the room we could see that pick top 3, so it's very relaxing to know where the pick was.
James-Duthie-HiRes2-1100x400.jpg

"I'm sure. How optimistic are you that you can continue to build on your progress this season and try to climb into the playoffs next year?"

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
James-Duthie-HiRes2-1100x400.jpg

"I'm sure. How optimistic are you that you can continue to build on your progress this season and try to climb into the playoffs next year?"

To be honest, we're cautiously optimistic. We didn't quite get to where we wanted to, but were happy nonetheless to be above the bottom 5. We have some good pieces already, just need to hit on our darts in the main draft later down the road. There's a good and bright future ahead for the 'Squad. We are absolutely committed to making playoffs next year!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To be honest, we're cautiously optimistic. We didn't quite get to where we wanted to, but were happy nonetheless to be above the bottom 5. We have some good pieces already, just need to hit on our darts in the main draft later down the road. There's a good and bright future ahead for the 'Squad. We are absolutely committed to making playoffs next year!
jamesduthie_tradecentre-e1564398096895.jpg

"That's great to hear. We love to see all teams in the league getting their moment in the spotlight, and hopefully yours is not too far down the road.

Let's bring things back around to Bill to reveal pick #6. Bill?"

Reactions: GAMO1992

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pick #6:

16.png

6. Good Decisions
7. Hamilton Slackberry
8. Peppering Angus
9. Suicide Squad
10. Grim Reapers
11. Gunslingers
12. Mighty Pigs

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Duthie_644x427.jpg

"So the Dusters own Good Decisions' pick in the prospect draft, but that pick has officially fallen one spot to end up outside the top 5.

@Black Box , how big of a relief is that for you after a difficult season for Good Decisions?"

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Duthie_644x427.jpg

"So the Dusters own Good Decisions' pick in the prospect draft, but that pick has officially fallen one spot to end up outside the top 5.

@Black Box , how big of a relief is that for you after a difficult season for Good Decisions?"
Well James, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't relieved. When you trade a 1st rounder for an asset, you expect that asset to be part of your long term plans... the fact that hasn't worked out in the way we planned has been frustrating, and is a testament to just how quickly things can change in this league. With all that said, I think we've done a good job of acquiring pieces that do fit the bill for us moving forward. I think we'll maybe feel the effects of not having that impact prospect in the short term, but we're well-prepared to keep on keeping on regardless.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well James, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't relieved. When you trade a 1st rounder for an asset, you expect that asset to be part of your long term plans... the fact that hasn't worked out in the way we planned has been frustrating, and is a testament to just how quickly things can change in this league. With all that said, I think we've done a good job of acquiring pieces that do fit the bill for us moving forward. I think we'll maybe feel the effects of not having that impact prospect in the short term, but we're well-prepared to keep on keeping on regardless.

James-Duthie-HiRes2.jpg

"Great response, Black Box. We wish you all the best going forward

Let's just do a brief recap before heading into a break here. We're down to the top five picks to be revealed. Hypnotoad's All Blacks owns two of them, including the Manatees' pick with a 40% chance of being selected first. Pingu HC owns their pick with the second-highest odds. Black Aces have the pick with the fourth-best odds, and Flaming Wings own the pick with the sixth-best odds of picking first.

We're going to take a short break, and we'll be back afterwards to reveal the top five picks."

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

"Alright, we're back to the Draft Lottery Special, and we're now into the top 5. Before we get back to revealing picks, let's bring in Bob McKenzie again. Bob, with the nature of fantasy hockey vs. real hockey, there are often players that are valued more here than in the NHL. Who do you think we'll see picked higher here than in the NHL draft?"

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
maxresdefault.jpg

"Well, James, the most obvious answer is that, as usual, it will be the defencemen picked lower in the CFHFFL Draft than they will be weeks after in the NHL draft. One interesting case this year is Yaroslav Askarov, the Russian goalie who stands a very good chance of being picked high in the NHL draft. With how goalies are valued in this league, it will be interesting to see who takes him, and where.

This draft is absolutely stacked with forwards at the top. With many of them under six feet, you wonder if Dylan Holloway might have higher perceived value."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad